Menu

Handwriting without Tears K or 1st grade level?

warriormom

I have a 5 year old who is working on his letters and numbers at preschool. He has not mastered his handwriting but he is reading at a 1st-2nd grade level. Should I start him with HWT for Kindergarten or 1st grade? I have read that some of the kids fly through these books. Any advice?

If he is still working on letter formation, I would use the K book. If he knows how to form all the letters pretty much and is ready for copywork, then the first grade book would be appropriate. The first grade book has them practice a letter on one page, then do words or sentences on the facing page. Both books explain all the letters, but the first grade book moves through them more quickly.

I am remediating my first grader's letter formation, and the K book was too slow for him. The first grade book was just right, and now a few weeks in, we're doing much less workbook and more copywork.

Definitely K. Reading and writing are totally different functions for many kids. If he flies through the K book, you can always start him on the 1st grade one.

:iagree:Plus you will want to check letter formation and make sure the strokes are correct. That can really mess up a lot of kids.

I vote K as well. My son attended a private school that used HWT for their handwriting program. By the end of K, he was reading at a third or fourth grade level but still had problems writing. When we started first grade at home, I insisted that he redo the entire K HWT curriculum. It was amazing how much it helped. He writes very well now. :)

I too agree...get the K and then if he zooms through..get a kumon workbook or the next HWT level book.

My dd5 flew through her level K HWT in only a few months. She's been busy doing her Kumon sentence workbook since then :) It's slowed down and I like the pace we're at! :D

Edited by mamaofblessings