Menu

Want to send a gift to our past foreign exchange son, but can't think of what to send

Money could be useful, but it probably isn't safe to send it in the mail. When I sent a package to my exchange student sister after she returned to Argentina, she asked me to include some of her favorite American candies. Perhaps a DVD of your family each saying a personal message would be nice, or notes of congratulation and pictures.

My daughter's math tchr lives in India and we send her birthday gifts and other little things. We always send what she calls American candy, a homemade card, and a homemade gift. She seems to really love them.

Could you contact his parents and ask the best way to include some funds? I woudn't even consider sending cash or gift cards or anything like that. Maybe you could work out with mom and dad how to best do a wire transfer (that's how I got money while traveling).

I have found traveller's cheques pretty easy to use in various places but NOT in Mexico or Central America. I haven't been anywhere in S. Am. but based on my experience with Mex and C. Am., I wouldn't go that route either.

A friend was mentioning this week how she loves to send DVDs of American movies to their ex-exchange students to work on their English. She said she can put the disc in a greeting card and it usually gets to its destination (Brazil). She tried a few packages at first but none made it to their student because the mail isn't secure. But greeting cards have worked so far.