Menu

aas question

iona

If you start in 1st grade, a level per grade would be a very nice pace to go--not too fast, probably some nice wiggle room to take days off here & there. The levels have 25-30 "steps" each, so even at 1 step per week, you could easily finish a level in a year. Some kids might be able to do level 1 and 2 for 1st grade, while other kids might need more time than that on Level 1--so it really can vary.

I started my kids at the end of 5th & 3rd grades, and they did levels 1, 2, and part of 3 the first year. 4 and 5 have slowed them down though, and they do about 1.25 levels per year now.

We work for 15-20 minutes a day. HTH! Merry :-)

My 7yo ds flew through level 1, completing an average of one full step a day (some longer steps took us two days). Now in the middle of level two, we're averaging two days per step, with an occasional step taking three days. We work on spelling for about 15-20 minutes a day. I imagine we'll continue to slow down as we reach the upper levels.

I started my 7 year old in level 1 this past September. We don't do spelling every day. We don't do a schedule, but I just try to get to it most(many?) days. She is now on step 8 or 9 of level 2. We could have easily been much further, if we did it every day. But, it was important for her to do every step in order to get down all the phonograms the way AAW wants them to.

BTW: I LOVE AAS. My dd's spelling has improved DRAMATICALLY. But, she was always a very phonetic speller.....just not a correct speller. Girl might have been spelled grl. But, the AAS rules (every syllable has a vowel) has been what she needed.

I am also doing AAS with my kindy. She is going much slower.

is it designed for one lesson a week, working on the lesson each day m-f?

It's not really set up to get any set amount done per week or per day. They aren't lessons they are steps and depending on the child a step can take from one 15 minute session to a week. It's really hard to say because it's made to be used at the child's pace.

I simply set my timer for 15-20 minutes (depending on which child I'm working with) and we either go until we finish the step or the timer goes off. If the timer rings and we're not done with the step, I put a post it flag at the point where we are and we start there the next day. We do spelling 3-4 days out of the week.

I think you'll get a lot of varied responses. My ds10 is a strong speller. He started Level 2 half way through 2nd grade. He's now in 4th grade and into Level 6. He has slowed in his pace starting toward the end of Level 5. Level 6 is giving him a little more challenge so my expectation is that we'll finish the series sometime in 5th grade.

My dd8 started Level 1 in 1st grade. She's now in Level 4 in 3rd grade. I would say she has progressed at a more "average" speed. I expect her to finish this level this year and maybe start Level 5.

My goal for my kids is that they would finish spelling by the end of 5th grade. I think they will be able to do this, but of course if it takes longer that's okay too.

Oh yes, and we do spelling 4 days a week for about 15 min. per day.

This thread has been super helpful to see the different responses!

We're going to begin AAS level 1 with my 2nd grader mid week and I'm hoping to do it M-Thurs. I went ahead and purchased level 2 the same time I got level 1 because of the varied reviews on how quickly a child CAN move through it. Either way we'll happily begin level 2 next year when she's a 3rd grader or we'll begin it this year, depends on how fast she goes through level 1.

I'm beginning AAS level 1 next year with my dd5 whom will be in first grade.

I tried to cover all the bases and even purchased 2 student packets per level that way each of my children get their own flashcards and are able to move at their own pace :)

How much of AAS is spelling and how much is phonics? Do you need a separate phonics program?

All the phonograms are taught. I dropped my separate phonics program for my first grader (he's an excellent reader). On day 2 of the program, he was already pointing out how the phonograms applied to a word he was writing down from another subject. So I'd say it will vastly improve his phonics knowlege (which he does need - he taught himself to read at 4, and kind of skipped the phonics stuff mostly, and now we're hitting those 4th grade level words that require phonics to decode).

I do plan to use a phonics program with my now 4 year old until I think he's ready for AAS (not sure if it will be K or first grade).

Curious to hear the pros' answer to this question (as I'm very new to AAS). :lurk5:

Sorry to highjack just slightly, but what is a typical/normal/average page for doing AAS in kindergarten?

I am getting ready to start with my kindergarten daughter (a young 5). Obviously, we will take it slow and easy, work at her pace, etc. But I'm just wondering what kind of pace a typical kindergarten student might take with AAS level 1.

Thanks!

How much of AAS is spelling and how much is phonics? Do you need a separate phonics program?

AAS is a complete phonics program--so you don't *have* to add anything else to it because the children learn all of the sounds and rules that apply equally to spelling and reading. Level 1 starts with important phonemic awareness activities and then moves step-by-step into spelling. With this method, anything a child can spell, he or she can read.

Whether you want a separate phonics program is going to depend on your goals and your child. AAS is scripted and paced for spelling, and some parents prefer to have a manual that is scripted & paced for reading. The author is working on a manual for teaching reading that will go along with AAS and the readers. All About Reading has a pre-1 level coming out soon & a Level 1 later this spring/summer.

With AAS, you could use the dictations and word cards for reading practice, along with outside readers (AAS has some or you could use others you have, the library, etc...), while a reading phonics program might have more reading practice built in than what AAS builds in.

Also, some kids learn to read faster than they learn to spell, which is why the pacing doesn't work for some people. Others feel comfortable adapting and it works well for them. Have you looked at the online samples? That might help you to get an idea of how you would use it & whether it would work for you for teaching reading as well as spelling. HTH some! Merry :-)

Sorry to highjack just slightly, but what is a typical/normal/average page for doing AAS in kindergarten?

Younger dd spends a week or more per step. We review more and do shorter lessons. Older dd quickly got past using the tiles and goes straight to writing the words, while younger definitely benefits from the tiles.

AAS is a complete phonics program--so you don't *have* to add anything else to it because the children learn all of the sounds and rules that apply equally to spelling and reading. Level 1 starts with important phonemic awareness activities and then moves step-by-step into spelling. With this method, anything a child can spell, he or she can read.

Whether you want a separate phonics program is going to depend on your goals and your child. AAS is scripted and paced for spelling, and some parents prefer to have a manual that is scripted & paced for reading. The author is working on a manual for teaching reading that will go along with AAS and the readers. All About Reading has a pre-1 level coming out soon & a Level 1 later this spring/summer.

With AAS, you could use the dictations and word cards for reading practice, along with outside readers (AAS has some or you could use others you have, the library, etc...), while a reading phonics program might have more reading practice built in than what AAS builds in.

Also, some kids learn to read faster than they learn to spell, which is why the pacing doesn't work for some people. Others feel comfortable adapting and it works well for them. Have you looked at the online samples? That might help you to get an idea of how you would use it & whether it would work for you for teaching reading as well as spelling. HTH some! Merry :-)

Thanks for the info. Is this a program that could begin in kindergarten or would it be better to wait until 1st grade. DS knows all of the sounds of all letters, but isn't very good at writing and is just starting to read.

Thanks for the info. Is this a program that could begin in kindergarten or would it be better to wait until 1st grade. DS knows all of the sounds of all letters, but isn't very good at writing and is just starting to read.

My dd started AAS 1 when she was 5 1/2 - in the middle of K. She was already reading and she finished AAS1 in about 5 months. She completed AAS2 in 1G and now is halfway through AAS3 in 2G. I love it and so does she. (She doesn't like the tiles so we just write on the white board and do spelling tests on the board or computer.) I really like AAS3 because it seems like things are finally building and it's more challenging.

I have another dd who will be 5 in March. She goes through the flashcards periodically and knows the easy/first phonograms. I just started introducing the different vowel sounds to her about a month ago - nothing stressful, just repeating after big sister during review time. I do plan on starting AAS1 (unless AAR looks like a better fit) at the beginning or middle of K, whenever she's ready.

So, my experience has been that AAS1 can certainly be used successfully in kindergarten. HTH.

My dd started AAS 1 when she was 5 1/2 - in the middle of K. She was already reading and she finished AAS1 in about 5 months. She completed AAS2 in 1G and now is halfway through AAS3 in 2G. I love it and so does she. (She doesn't like the tiles so we just write on the white board and do spelling tests on the board or computer.) I really like AAS3 because it seems like things are finally building and it's more challenging.

I have another dd who will be 5 in March. She goes through the flashcards periodically and knows the easy/first phonograms. I just started introducing the different vowel sounds to her about a month ago - nothing stressful, just repeating after big sister during review time. I do plan on starting AAS1 (unless AAR looks like a better fit) at the beginning or middle of K, whenever she's ready.

So, my experience has been that AAS1 can certainly be used successfully in kindergarten. HTH.

That's great info - thanks! (And thanks also to Snickelfritz) My daughter is currently half way through K as well, so I think we can go ahead and start soon and take it slowly. :)