Menu

pencil lead keeps breaking!!!!

iona

ds1 sits down for reading(no writing), math (1/2 to one page-minimal writing) and sometimes handwriting (writes a few letters and a few words) he is using his pencil for maybe 5-10 minutes total.

i have to resharpen his pencil on average twice...at least once, mostly twice, sometimes three times.

i have talked to him about not pushing too hard, i don't over sharpen that i know of.

i need recommendations for industrial strength pencils or at least a good sharpener...my hand is starting to hurt.

I sprung for the Ticonderoga pencils recently, and they are way better than the Dixon pencils I got on sale during the school sales. Funny thing is Dixon makes both!

I also got an electric pencil sharpener... Just a$20 one (on sale) from Staples. I'll have to look at the model again, but I've had it since August.

I bought my son a mechanical pencil with 0.7 mm lead (thicker than the usual 0.5 mm); I found Uni (alias Uni-ball) 0.7mm HB "Shu" lead that's supposed to be 30% stronger than regular lead. It does seem to break less often than regular lead.

I also recently bought some mechanical pencils (not the draft sort of weird ones for architects or whatever) w/ 2 mm lead (very thick).