Menu

What to do for dry, cracked skin?

Every winter I struggle with my hands drying out to the point that the skin on my fingertips dries out and cracks, sometimes to the point of bleeding. It hurts, and it looks awful. I use lotion often. This winter I have tried Burt's Bees Hand Salve. It helps some. I add extra Vitamin D. I used to take Omega 3-6-9, but it really didn't seem to make a difference. Maybe I wasn't taking enough?

Anyone else have this problem? What do you do that helps?

I use lotion often.

How often? I use a good lotion every single time I get any water on my hands. EVERY TIME. Even if I just stick my finger under the faucet to check the temperature, I dry thoroughly and use lotion. It's the only way I keep my hands from drying out.

My son has hands like yours. He was averse to any lotion, until they started bleeding and hurting so much. I treated his hands to my Mary Kay Satin Hands regimen, and they got 100% better in two days. Now, he needs to remember to apply lotion all the time to maintain them, or we just do another Satin Hands treatment to fix them again.

I think the key ingredient in the Satin Hands combination of products is the exfoliant, which removes the dead skin cells and allows the wonderful salve and cream to get to the healthy skin, hydrating it and allowing it to heal. Perhaps you have some kind of exfoliant you could use, sugar scrub perhaps, or facial scrub? Then, slather on your salve.

I admit I don't use lotion that often. I hadn't thought of using an exfoliating scrub, but it makes sense. I do have the MK pink nightcream, which (I think) is the same stuff that comes in the Satin Hands kit, and I've been using that, but not in combination with exfoliating. I'm willing to try anything at this point. Thanks for the ideas.

I admit I don't use lotion that often. I hadn't thought of using an exfoliating scrub, but it makes sense. I do have the MK pink nightcream, which (I think) is the same stuff that comes in the Satin Hands kit, and I've been using that, but not in combination with exfoliating. I'm willing to try anything at this point. Thanks for the ideas.

Okay, use your exfoliating grit mixed with something soothing, like a light lotion or ointment. Then, wash it off with a gentle cleanser. Follow up with the pink MK cream. This is the general regimen with the Satin Hands products. Do this once a day until you heal.

Meanwhile, and afterward, use lotion every time you get your hands wet. I like Lubriderm, but there are other good quality lotions out there.

Oh, would you believe I was going to post nearly this exact thread this morning? I've been cooking at home so much more this month, so I've been washing my hands so much more! My hands are actually grossing me out, and my one thumb is cracked and bleeding :( I do put lotion on every time I wet them, but it seems like I'm wetting them ALL. DAY. LONG. and rinsing that lotion right off! So frustrating... I never thought of an intensive night treatment though. I'll have to look and see what I have--I know I have some Neutrogena hand-specific cream. I'll be :bigear:

Do you drink enough water?

It sounds like a silly question, I know, but so many of us don't. Coffee, tea and soda don't count BTW. The caffeine will dehydrate you, counteracting any liquids you are taking in.

My lips and hands get chapped in the winter. I tried using healing balms, ointments, & even prescription medications and nothing worked until a dear friend pointed out that I didn't drink much. She was completely right. When I am intentional about drinking enough water, the problem goes away on it's own - but I need to drink enough every single day to keep it at bay. It has been a hard habit to create, but so very healthy for me. My skin has improved and my health is better in general.

Neosporin on the cracks, a fragrance free lotion/cream several times a day. When my hands are cracked, the last thing I want is some pretty smelling lotion stinging them! LOL Usually the pretty smelling ones aren't thick enough anyhow. Eucerin makes a few good ones, Neutrogena, and I use Paula's Choice on both my hands and face. I love that stuff and it's worth it to me. If you can find a fragrance free shea butter cream with shea butter as one of the first ingredients (urea is also a good ingredient!), that's really good.

Get a big pot of Aquaphor ointment (or the generic version. I know CVS has one.).

I put it on liberally every night before I go to bed and put on a little bit as needed during the day. My husband has dubbed me "Slimer" at night, but it works.

:iagree:It doesn't feel nice, but it works. Costco had a 3 or 4 pack of the big tubes for a reasonable price.

Every winter I struggle with my hands drying out to the point that the skin on my fingertips dries out and cracks, sometimes to the point of bleeding. It hurts, and it looks awful. I use lotion often. This winter I have tried Burt's Bees Hand Salve. It helps some. I add extra Vitamin D. I used to take Omega 3-6-9, but it really didn't seem to make a difference. Maybe I wasn't taking enough?

Anyone else have this problem? What do you do that helps?

Ah.... you have my empathy. I get that, too. I use udder cream as a daily hand cream. I apply a small dab, focusing on the fingertips, after every hand wash. Every two or three days, I wear night gloves, but first put a thin film of Watkins medicated ointment (in the green round tin) all over my hands. It works very well for me, and I haven't had an episode of cracking, bleeding fingers since I started doing this 3 years ago, except the time I had to go to Toronto and forgot my udder cream.

Stop the lotion. Use something emollient. Before bed, soak hands for 5 minutes in lukewarm water and apply Aquaphor liberally. Cover hands with tube socks and go to bed.

Try to keep your hands out of water. Use gloves if you have to do dishes. After getting hands wet, put some Aquaphor on your hands and rub it in. I then rub the palms on my (also dry) thighs to get the excess off my palms and hurry on about my business.

I have to wash my hands about 30 times a day at work, and I really suffer if I don't stick to the stuff! Lac-Hydrin works but is expensive. The knock off brand they commonly have at Costco is naaaaaaaaaaasty.

When my fingers are cracked, I use Lotil to heal the cracks. I order it from Vermont Country Store.

For preventing cracks, I am using an alpha hydroxy acid lotion to keep my fingertips exfoliated, and it is *working*. I do not have any cracks yet this year ! I am using the 10% AHA body lotion from Paula's Choice. What I figured out with my hands and feet is that the skin gets thick before it cracks. If I can keep it from getting thick, it doesn't crack. The other thing I do is scrub the edges of the soles of my feed with a pretty harsh brush, and scrub my fingertips with a slightly softer (but still pretty stiff) brush.

Edited by laundrycrisis

Glue the cracks together with nail polish. Keep using the creams regularly and keep gluing the cracks until they heal. The pain will go away if the edges of the crack are not pulled apart when you move.

I use liquid band aid for this and it does help a lot. It stings like mad going on, but the sting goes away within a few seconds.

Over the years I have gone through at least 10 different lotions trying to find something that would work. I like neutrogena intense therapy hand cream, aquifer, and eucerin. I think eucerin is my new favorite because it works well but it doesn't leave your hands greasy.

Lots of water, and coconut oil for moisturizing. Frequently. If you have electric forced air heat, it may be very drying, so you may want to consider a humidifier. Also, I have heard that slathering your hands with lotion and then putting gloves over them or something at night can help; I haven't done the gloves, but I have done the heavy slathering at night.

Thanks for all the suggestions. No, I probably don't drink enough water in the winter. I need to work on that. I think I actually have some liquid band-aid or similar, and will try that next time something breaks open. But hopefully I can keep it from getting to that point. I do use bedsocks, because my feet get nearly as dry. No, it's not terribly appealing, but it's really, really cold here right now!

I rubbed honey, from my dad's hives, on my cracked knuckles last night -- because I was desperate and he was urging me to "try it."

Those cracks are healing faster than usual. They don't itch, burn, and they're not painful today.

I've used the burt's bees in the past but the honey is way better.

Got any raw honey in the house? Just dab a bit on the crack and rub it in.

To prevent make sure you dry your hands really well anytime they've been wet. Use the heavier creams at night. If you need to you can put on creams during the day too but I find some are so hard to wash off it makes handwashing take longer by a lot--which is not good for hands or water bills either one!

We have to handwash a lot because of an immune issue in my son. As long as we're very careful about drying well the hands stay pretty good.

I'm sensitive to certain soaps as well so I do have to watch what I use but that's year round.

Get a big pot of Aquaphor ointment (or the generic version. I know CVS has one.).

I put it on liberally every night before I go to bed and put on a little bit as needed during the day. My husband has dubbed me "Slimer" at night, but it works.

I use this liberally at night, however it is so greasy, I feel like it gets all over everything. I put it on the cracks themselves as often as I can during the day. I have a tube or jar of it at every sink, in my purse, knitting bag, library bag, next to the bed and in the car. While it helps to treat the cracked skin, I don't feel like it helps to prevent it. I have spent a small fortune on trying other creams and lotions that I find at the drugstore only to be disappointed. The Aquaphor seems to help me the most, but I want to prevent the cracked skin.

I also agree with wearing gloves to wash dishes. I try really hard not to let my hands touch dishsoap/water, it makes them ten times worse.

Aquaphor is awesome with chapped cheeks and lips. My kids keep a little tube of this in their pockets for when they are going outside in this bitter cold weather (it's been high of 27 here daily). I use it on my baby too, gentle enough for him.

I think the solution for me is going to be to drink more water. I know I don't drink enough water.

Edited by 5forMe