Menu

Can we talk chickenpox for a minute

I noticed lastnight that dd7 had 2 blisters on her face, her cheek to be exact. They were about the size of a dime and were raised. Then later that evening she got another on her jaw line...immed. I though chicken pox...I looked all over her body and she had tiny red spots on her shoulders, elbows and back....

She woke up this morning with those red blisters no longer on her face and the ones on her back aren't really that red anymore...but the front and backs of her thighs are covered in patches of little red blisters. She says they do itch...

Now she has been fighting off a nasty cough and runny nose and fever for nearly 2 weeks....It stopped for 2 days so we went to Awana on Wednesday and now the spots appeared yesterday....could it be chickenpox??

I immed. checked my other 2 children and only my dd5 had some on her back and a couple random red spots on her foot...

I'm lost..:confused: and feel like a silly confused mama. And freaking slightly because DD7 and DD5 both got the vaccine but my ds whom is only 23 months old didn't get it. My oldest got all her vaccines...but then when DD5 came along I went the selective and delayed route...but with ds he got selective until he was 3 months, then we didn't get anymore..should I be concerned?? I prayed about the decision on vaccinating my children..and now I'm worried.

It doesn't sound quite like chicken pox, but it might be. If they are itchy, could it be hives? The sores from chicken pox don't usually go away without bursting open and crusting over. Hives will just appear and disappear randomly.

FWIW, we did the vax with my oldest, but he got chicken pox anyway. I even delayed to make it 'more effective', but it didn't work for him.

You may want to call your ped's office and describe the situation, to see what he/she says.

Actually the more I research I think she got hives.

She hasn't had them in SO long that I didn't even think about that.

They are RARELY itching now....she's only said something about it lastnight and not at ALL today.

But now what in the world caused them :confused: ....

As for bed bugs...hers look nothing like that...THANK goodness!!!

Hers are in patches and are raised but rarely itching now.

The size of a dime seems quite large for a chicken pox. None of my kids had them that big. Plus, they shouldn't disappear that fast. You're right, it's probably hives, especially if she just got over a virus, I've read (on here) that that is actually quite common. I had no idea until just a while ago.

The size of a dime seems quite large for a chicken pox. None of my kids had them that big. Plus, they shouldn't disappear that fast. You're right, it's probably hives, especially if she just got over a virus, I've read (on here) that that is actually quite common. I had no idea until just a while ago.

A friend's son had chicken pox that were quite large, even nickel-sized. It just depends on the child and the case. Most of the others I've seen have been smaller, but larger ones do happen.

What raised questions for me is that some of the spots appeared one day but were gone the next. That's not so normal for chicken pox IME.

I'm glad that it was figured out, and that it wasn't chicken pox in the end. Those aren't as fun as they look in books :tongue_smilie:.