Menu

what I would love to see available for middle school and high school

I would love to have a building with reasonable room rental rates where hs moms&dads could teach secular homeschool classes. There are tons of co-ops available for elementary school kids, but things really start to dry up around 6th grade.

I want to have a place where classes are offered at least 2 days/week, preferably more (although most classes would be 1 or 2 days/week). I want the classes to be a la carte, so you can choose which classes you want to do rather than an all-or-nothing thing. I want there to be secular options (virtually nonexistent around here). I want there to be actual school classes rather than just enrichment or supplemental classes. In middle school (and definitely in high school), time starts to be more of an issue and it really helps when your outside activities are part of school rather than being in addition to school.

Right now I plan to teach math and science classes in my home, but I'd love to have a location where I could teach math and science and others could have classes going on at the same time.

around here there is a group similar to that... they offer a mix of secular classes (art, math, computer, nutrition. civics, I think Spanish?, IEW and creative writing classes) and then also stuff like apologia science and history using MOH (not secular). It is definitely a la carte.

They rent 2 main spaces. one at a YMCA and the other at a local community center.

It's working for them. They have several parents as teachers. charge tuition that is "high" I think....

maybe you'll end up successful starting something similar in your area.

-crystal

Around here we have a couple of groups who do that- they rent out a historic bulilding, like a VFW hall, and run classes. It's an old 1800 style house with 4 rooms for classes. One group offers Waldorf style classes all day and on an another day, a different group rents it out and offers more general types of classes. They usually charge about $160 per class which generally run about an hour.

I always thought it'd be nice to rent it out one day and just offer classical types of classes; logic, latin, writing, art history... but I'm not organized enough to pull that off.

That's very similar to what we have here, but if you're in Texas, that would be a bit of a drive. ;) http://www.sccovenantkeepers.com

We have a-la-carte enrichment classes for all ages, 20 weeks (2 semesters) per year and a high school tutorial for 32 weeks per year. Most of the classes are member-taught, though we have some professional non-members teaching classes, too. We rent from a Catholic parish; it's somewhat expensive to rent there, but it's feasible. They do have the facilities we need, with a gym/caffeteria, soccer and volleyball fields and many classrooms.

We have that. We use a local Boys & Girls Club building, but have used churches in the past, and in looking for other facilities, parks and rec buildings have been a possibility. The group itself is inclusive, so we have families of many faiths and philosophies, but the classes are a-religious.

Some of our teachers are parents and some are simply pulled from the community. Some come by word of mouth, some we track down through museum classes or after-school enrichment, etc, etc.

It's a mix of ages and types of classes at our group -- and that's one of the things I love about it.

We have that. We use a local Boys & Girls Club building, but have used churches in the past, and in looking for other facilities, parks and rec buildings have been a possibility. The group itself is inclusive, so we have families of many faiths and philosophies, but the classes are a-religious.

Some of our teachers are parents and some are simply pulled from the community. Some come by word of mouth, some we track down through museum classes or after-school enrichment, etc, etc.

It's a mix of ages and types of classes at our group -- and that's one of the things I love about it.

And I wish it wasn't such a drive for us! :)

Most churches will rent to secular groups, you know. Especially mainstream churches. My kids are younger, so I don't know all the options, but there are definitely co-ops or classes like that around me as well.

Our challenges with renting space from churches have always been about logistics or appropriateness of facilities or long-term access -- never about the fact that our group was not associated with their denomination. Many of the churches in my area at least prefer to rent to pre-schools or other programs that will provide income for five days a week rather than two. Or they have offices right next to the classrooms, and having children around during the day is noisy and problematic. Or there are a constant stream of various "-- Anonymous" groups that may not be the best mix with young children running loose... Or... Various issues. But I don't think any have turned us away outright because we were a secular/inclusive group.

It's worth looking around to see what's available building-wise. It IS tough to find the right place. Various new people come to our group and they see small problems with our building (and certainly there are a few) and say, "Well, let's just move somewhere else!" But finding another facility with as many classrooms and a gym and a kitchen and a place for families to hang out between classes or while waiting on siblings and enough parking, etc, etc, is tough.

But it's also *possible*.

If this is something you really want to make work, then go for it!

Our group is 10 years old or so, a 501©3 for maybe 7 of those, and every year it's a challenge to dedicated parents to keep it running smoothly and growing...

But it's possible. And a tremendous blessing to those of us who are involved!

Various new people come to our group and they see small problems with our building (and certainly there are a few) and say, "Well, let's just move somewhere else!" But finding another facility with as many classrooms and a gym and a kitchen and a place for families to hang out between classes or while waiting on siblings and enough parking, etc, etc, is tough.

:iagree: We get that, too. There are very few options that have the facilities we need; drives me a little batty when people talk as though there are just dozens of other places we could meet!

I have set up co-ops before. I set one up right after we moved here 7 years ago. It worked pretty well. We had 6-week sessions with a couple of weeks off between sessions. It was easy to do it pretty cheaply since everything was volunteer and each family just had to contribute towards room rental and supplies for the classes their kids were in. It got to be extremely difficult to get people to volunteer to teach though. It was not drop-off - a parent was required to work as a helper if she had any kids there. There was a nursery and a playground where parents with little kids could volunteer.

I don't want that sort of setup though. I want actual school classes rather than just fun classes that you still have to fit all of school around. I could still rent classrooms at the same church where I did the co-op, but their going rate is $15/hour/room. That's a LOT. I could probably get it down to $10/hour/room by renting a block of 4-5 rooms 2x/week, but I'd have to be sure that I could teachers for all those hours and it would still add significantly to the cost of the classes.

My 12yo is taking a class through a Christian group that is set up very much like I want (except that all their classes are 1x/week), but they require all their teachers to be Christian, so I can't teach there. They also require all science classes to be Young Earth.