Menu

STOW and church history

ahancock

I am completely sold out on STOW, and I will be using Volume 2 very soon, but I need an effective way to incorporate New Testament/Church history. I don't like any of the Christian history curriculums the way I like STOW, but this is a constant issue. I considered going to MFW, but it jumps around a lot and I don't like that. I was thinking of maybe some type of spine to cover church history that would correlate with SOTW. Any suggestions?

There's a good series that goes thru church history that some use concurrently with SOTW, but I think it's mainly for older kids--

here's one in the series, Peril and Peace. I think it's the History Lives series.

There's also Trial and Triumph, which sounds like it'd be the same series, but isn't--some say it's anti-Catholic, IDK.

How old are your kids? The History Lives series is great for older kids maybe 4th and older. The stories are quite long and my youngest child gets bored. Plus it can be difficult with the dialogue to keep track of what's going on. But you can line up certain stories with certain chapters of SOTW.

Trial and Triumph may be able to be used with a younger crowd. Passages are much shorter.

Our first time through SOTW 2 I think we studied Acts and the letters of Paul rather than Church history.

For younger kids I also like Hero Tales. However, there are four volumes and they are not chronological.

I have been using SOTW with MOH (Mystery of History) because I wanted more church history, too. MOH has TONS of church history, but I don't want to leave SOTW (!), so I just plug in MOH once a week or so to keep things moving and interesting and Biblically based. HTH?! :001_smile:

FYI on Trial and Triumph the reviews on amazon say it is very anti-Catholic. Even though I am not Catholic I would have problem using a history curriculum that was anti- the main church that existed for quite a bit of that history. Make sense?

I have not read it myself though...so I am only going off the reviews.

There's a good series that goes thru church history that some use concurrently with SOTW, but I think it's mainly for older kids--

here's one in the series, Peril and Peace. I think it's the History Lives series.

There's also Trial and Triumph, which sounds like it'd be the same series, but isn't--some say it's anti-Catholic, IDK.

I agree with Chris on these suggestions, plus you might take a look at Kuipers, The Church in History. The author's viewpoint is sometimes slanted, but otherwise it is a good read aloud with questions at the end of each chapter.

Blessings,

Lucinda

FYI on Trial and Triumph the reviews on amazon say it is very anti-Catholic. Even though I am not Catholic I would have problem using a history curriculum that was anti- the main church that existed for quite a bit of that history. Make sense?

I have not read it myself though...so I am only going off the reviews.

Hmmm....I had no clue. I will have to watch out for that.

We are using MoH 2 along with SOTW 2 to get the church history too. Am loving it. As a Catholic family with 6th and 8th grade children we will also be using Story of the Church http://www.amazon.com/Story-Church-George-Johnson/dp/089555156X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296112444&sr=8-1 There is a schedule for that paired with SOTW 2 somewhere too.

However, MoH2 may be plenty for you too. We are reading about Paul and Acts right now.

I considered going to MFW, but it jumps around a lot and I don't like that.

I was curious where you got that idea? Did you use one of the MFW programs? Or is it because SOTW isn't read exactly in order (pretty much in order, but one or two chapters may be moved)?

Each history book or program has to decide how to "organize" history. But if you use more than one book (which is my preference, since all views of history vary), you'll have to choose a way to organize them all together. I mean, if you chose to cover a person in history, which year do you cover that person in? The year of their birth? Their death? Their first major accomplishment? Their last?

MFW often chooses to organize sort-of by continent, so they group, say, South American events together a little bit more than SOTW does -- not a lot different than SOTW, but a little, so children will understand "where" as well as "when." It's a slightly different organization than any of their individual books might use, but it's all tied together in just as neat a row.

I wouldn't say MFW jumps around, myself. There is a structure, and we followed it for the 5-year middle cycle and came out at the other end with a solid education -- mother and child :)

Julie

We are using MoH 2 along with SOTW 2 to get the church history too. Am loving it. As a Catholic family with 6th and 8th grade children we will also be using Story of the Church http://www.amazon.com/Story-Church-George-Johnson/dp/089555156X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296112444&sr=8-1 There is a schedule for that paired with SOTW 2 somewhere too.

We're also using Story of the Church for our middle school aged child.

You could Use Church History in Plain Language. It looks like it would be fairly easy to coordinate a schedule with SOTW.

You could also just pick some events to study and get liberary books about the topics when they come up in SOTW. Some events/people you might want to cover are:

• St. Augustine
  • St. Jerome
  • The Vulgate
  • St. Benedict
  • Lives of Monks in general
  • Book of Kells - Monks & Manuscripts
  • Justinian the Great builds the Hagia Sophia
  • Mohammed
  • Islam
  • Holy Roman Empire
  • Roman Catholic Church and Eastern Orthodox Church
  • Cathedrals