Menu

Passing the torch

What he studies on the core subjects? Never in my homeschool. How to go about it? Both my kids have had input on books and methodology to some extent - they both are good at telling me what works for them. But I have final say. What he studies for electives? Around 13, here. Ds13 is this year choosing some of his own electives.

I choose the core. I consider their learning styles and needs in terms of methodology but have included my oldest dd in choices from about age 9. Once they have completed their core work, I let them pursue whatever interests them in whatever manner (more or less) they choose.

The main reason I have considered my daughter even in the core from around 9 is because she (and her siblings) function on a much higher academic level than their "age" so I have given her the choice among options in terms of pacing as well as course work.

During the younger years, I get to pick. But, I offer options. For example, we just chose science for my 10 yo. I have him a list of subjects and he chose.

My oldest is really picking most of his own subjects now. He's taking CC classes and he has a list of requirements for graduation in our state as well as recommendations from his top college choices. He is VERY motivated! We go over his schedule a LOT and discuss his options. He decided on his own that he didn't want to waste his time in a class at CC taking trig or pre-calc, so he asked me to find books for him. He's done with trig and starts pre-calc next week. He just wants to get up to calculus - which he will take at the CC.

It works for us!