Menu

MCT WWW?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Are the stems studied in the volumes of WWW the same as those studied in Caesar's English (expanded upon) or are there new stems in each volume of WWW? Is there a stem list anywhere? I can't seem to find one.

Are the stems studied in the volumes of WWW the same as those studied in Caesar's English (expanded upon) or are there new stems in each volume of WWW? Is there a stem list anywhere? I can't seem to find one.

Cheryl,

The first 20 units in WWW have 25 roots each for 500 roots. The remaining 10 units are whole words, many of which are from CE II, so that is an additional 250 words to know. I am discovering that we have no problem with the repeats because there is just so darn much to learn.

Caesar's English II offers 20 lessons with 100 roots and 50 vocabulary words. Even if all the words in CE II were in WWW, that is still 600 new words and roots for the year - if I have done my math right.:tongue_smilie:

WWW is a large jump from CE II. Thanks to some help from CynthiaOK, I've decided to split the WWW lessons over two weeks. My son was fine with the first 10 lessons, but the cumulative lists are adding up.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I've never compared them for exact duplicates, but CE studies 5 stems every other week, while WWW studies 25 stems each week.

Julie

Wow! Each level of WWW is 30 lessons, right? Since it doesn't alternate stems and vocabulary words like CE, does it cover both stems and vocabulary in each lesson? If so, is the vocabulary related to the stems? While I'm enjoying the vocabulary in CE I do with it was related to the stems studied, and wish that they were mixed instead of alternating.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Cheryl,

The first 20 units in WWW have 25 roots each for 500 roots. The remaining 10 units are whole words, many of which are from CE II, so that is an additional 250 words to know. I am discovering that we have no problem with the repeats because there is just so darn much to learn.

Caesar's English II offers 20 lessons with 100 roots and 50 vocabulary words. Even if all the words in CE II were in WWW, that is still 600 new words and roots for the year - if I have done my math right.:tongue_smilie:

WWW is a large jump from CE II. Thanks to some help from CynthiaOK, I've decided to split the WWW lessons over two weeks. My son was fine with the first 10 lessons, but the cumulative lists are adding up.

It does sound like quite a jump! Are you going to try to keep WWW lined up with the Magic Lens of the same level or keep moving forward with it?

I loved CE and wouldn't change a thing!

I was scared by WWW and went back 2 levels to CE-1 for my then-8th-grader. Now that he's done CE, maybe WWW wouldn't be so scary? It's a very different egg, anyways. Not as conversational or very literature-based like CE.

Have you seen the samples? Here's a lesson:

- 25 stems with meanings, language origin, & sample words (long list, small print)

- Close-up of one stem, defining like 20 example words using that stem

- 25 sentences using the stems; sometimes two words using the same stem are used within one sentence

- Ideas page with conversation topics based on various words (to me, would be a good classroom activity)

- 10 analogies

- Notes page with various facts about words, stems, Spanish cognates

- 5 real sentences from literature & guess the real word (like CE-2)

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I loved CE and wouldn't change a thing!

I was scared by WWW and went back 2 levels to CE-1 for my then-8th-grader. Now that he's done CE, maybe WWW wouldn't be so scary? It's a very different egg, anyways. Not as conversational or very literature-based like CE.

Have you seen the samples? Here's a lesson:

- 25 stems with meanings, language origin, & sample words (long list, small print)

- Close-up of one stem, defining like 20 example words using that stem

- 25 sentences using the stems; sometimes two words using the same stem are used within one sentence

- Ideas page with conversation topics based on various words (to me, would be a good classroom activity)

- 10 analogies

- Notes page with various facts about words, stems, Spanish cognates

- 5 real sentences from literature & guess the real word (like CE-2)

Julie

So, did you do CE2 before CE1? We'll have finished CE1 and CE2 so hopefully it won't be too difficult.

I glanced through the one sample they had (lesson 30) but wasn't sure if every lesson was like that (or alternating like CE) so I didn't study it in detail. Now that I know it's representative of every lesson I'll look at it again. Thanks:001_smile:

It does sound like quite a jump! Are you going to try to keep WWW lined up with the Magic Lens of the same level or keep moving forward with it?

We were supposed to start the first loop this week in The Magic Lens which has the words from lists #11 and 12. We went through list #13 for WWW so I am a little off. We are going to slow things down and take two weeks per loop and word list. This would free up some more time to focus on writing and include some sentence combining otherwise the schedule is very intense. I love teaching LA but recently we have crossed over the two hour mark and that is too much time given the other subjects we need to study.

WWW doesn't have the same appeal that CE does, but it more than does the job. CE is just hands-down the best vocabulary program I have seen.

I hope this helps. If you want to do one vocab lesson a week, we have been doing the following pattern:

Monday: Make note cards for words.

Tuesday: Read Stem close-ups and Notes pages (we skip the Ideas page)

Wednesday: Analogies and Classic Words - this takes a long time as I require definitions and explanations for the relationships

Thursday: Mystery Spelling and Questions

Friday: Test

Each day includes 15-20 minutes of review

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
We were supposed to start the first loop this week in The Magic Lens which has the words from lists #11 and 12. We went through list #13 for WWW so I am a little off. We are going to slow things down and take two weeks per loop and word list. This would free up some more time to focus on writing and include some sentence combining otherwise the schedule is very intense. I love teaching LA but recently we have crossed over the two hour mark and that is too much time given the other subjects we need to study.

WWW doesn't have the same appeal that CE does, but it more than does the job. CE is just hands-down the best vocabulary program I have seen.

I hope this helps. If you want to do one vocab lesson a week, we have been doing the following pattern:

Monday: Make note cards for words.

Tuesday: Read Stem close-ups and Notes pages (we skip the Ideas page)

Wednesday: Analogies and Classic Words - this takes a long time as I require definitions and explanations for the relationships

Thursday: Mystery Spelling and Questions

Friday: Test

Each day includes 15-20 minutes of review

Did you start WWW 1 before the Magic Lens 1? Does it tell you when the words you've been studying in WWW are in Magic Lens?

Thanks for your schedule! We won't be starting Level 4 until next year, which for us starts in July. I'm trying to figure out our schedule but since I'm waiting until the revised version of Magic Lens 1 is out before buying Level 4 all I have to look at is the sample on RFWP, and, of course, all of you:D I'm thinking we'll extend the lessons as well. We do a 4-day school week (180 days so we school year round) so I'm thinking we'll do two 4-day weeks/lesson. That way (if I'm awake enough to do math properly) it will take 3 semesters to finish.

Thanks so much!