Menu

Ever skipped Science for a year?

missesd

I have another thread going right now, and I am a bit freaking out. Deciding to HS all 7 kids was a late Summer decision. Because hubby's job held back a portion on his pay, which is ear marked for schooling, I wasn't able to buy anything until November. Then we had holidays. I have Math, LA, and History covered. But Science went to the wayside for a while. I am now looking at buying it this weekend, but if through my other thread I find it will take us into NEXT year to finish it, would it be terribly awful if we nixed Science for this year altogether?? We are looking at 8th, 9th, and 10th graders. The 10th grader did IPC last year, but I thought he could really use (and enjoy) a full Chemistry course. But since he's had IPC, it wouldn't kill him to be without either. The 8th grader was going to do Bio with his 9th grade siblings.

At the younger levels I wouldn't nix it, but I would do informally. At the high school level I wouldn't. You're in Texas and I believe the high school requirements for public schools included 3-4 years of lab science. I think 4 is recommended for the upper level of study.

We had previously thought of moving to Texas which is why I looked into this. Many of the state colleges require those higher level of study (is it distinguished level?) for science. I would definitely check it out before nixing science as your dc may be competing for admittance against those that have had 4 full science years.

This website shows the graduations programs in TX. http://www.tea.state.tx.us/graduation.aspx

Edited by elegantlion

I would think for the 8th grade down you could skip it but you HS kids will need the credits won't they? I agree with doing a nature study for the younger ones and for theiddle crowd you could let them check out science reference books from the library and outline them. As for the HS I am not sure about this. Could you double up to finish before next year?Maybe continue through the summer? When does your offical year start? We start in the August but we also start alot of new material in January.