Menu

Want to touch TOG

AngelBee

Could you afford to buy just one unit? To buy one download unit is $45. Not ideal, but not too outrageous.

Another option would be to post your location and perhaps someone here lives close enough to you to let you look through theirs. Or, is there a local hs group that you can get in touch with and see if anyone there uses it? I've asked complete strangers if I could see their hs materials and it's usually well received. I find hs'ers like to share and talk about what they're using. :)

ETA: The printed version is $60 for one unit and you'll be able to resell it if you find it won't work for you. As far as I know TOG has a high resale value. Have you looked for a unit to buy used?

If you do decide to buy one unit, I'd ask on the boards maybe for some advice as to which one would be good. I think some would be better than others to give you a good feel for the program. For example, I don't find Y1U1 to be as impressive as some of the ones in Y2.

Edited by plain jane

Good ideas! :)

I totally understand your want to touch it before buying it. To be honest, I was the same way. In fact, I likely would not have gone ahead and bought it had I not been able to see it IRL first because, to be honest, it turned out to be even better than I expected. I was very pleasantly surprised and couldn't wait to buy my own after looking through someone else's. I can also see it going the other way too.

Another thought, if you don't want to display for the world to see where you are, could be to PM some TOG users and ask them if they live near you? I'll be happy to share mine if you live near by.

I actually haven't started using it but I did just finishing buying all the books for Y1U1 in preparation to start this fall.

It looks to be an awesome program and I absolutely fell in love with it when I was able to flip through it before buying, but it's not for everyone.

GL. I hope you can get your hands on a sample.

I bought one quarter of the DE edition for $45 to try it out and I didn't have enough money on hand to buy it all at once. I'm so glad that I did this! It was not a good fit for my DD7. TOG was just a little too much for her to handle at that age and she was starting to hate history. For me (a history education major) that is beyond bad!!! We switched to Biblioplan to finish out this year and things are going MUCH better.

Anyway....

I said all that to say this: I recommend trying the digital download for one quarter you will definitely be able to tell if it will work for your family by the end of it or not!

I bought one quarter of the DE edition for $45 to try it out and I didn't have enough money on hand to buy it all at once. I'm so glad that I did this! It was not a good fit for my DD7. TOG was just a little too much for her to handle at that age and she was starting to hate history. For me (a history education major) that is beyond bad!!! We switched to Biblioplan to finish out this year and things are going MUCH better.

Anyway....

I said all that to say this: I recommend trying the digital download for one quarter you will definitely be able to tell if it will work for your family by the end of it or not!

TOG is a buffet. You pick and choose what you want to use with your child and it is very flexible. The books at the LG level are actually quite mild and mostly factual (non fiction) from what I have seen so far (I am currently using it with a 7 year old) but just like every other curriculum it is not for everyone. I am sorry it did not work for your family but I do not understand why you are calling the curriculum bad. Or did I not understand something about your comments!

I know how you feel. I'm a hands on kinda person myself! (That's why I am a strong proponent for using the hard copy printed version.) Anyway, the other suggestions are great, but I have to add another. Here is a link to a Lampstand Publishing conference booth hostess recruitment. I know you aren't looking to be a booth hostess - BUT - on the page you will see all of the state conferences where they will be presenting TOG this year. If you live near any of these cities, it would be an awesome way to get your hands on the materials. Not only that, but you could talk to real people about all of the ways that make it work.

Blessings,

Lucinda

TOG is a buffet. You pick and choose what you want to use with your child and it is very flexible. The books at the LG level are actually quite mild and mostly factual (non fiction) from what I have seen so far (I am currently using it with a 7 year old) but just like every other curriculum it is not for everyone. I am sorry it did not work for your family but I do not understand why you are calling the curriculum bad. Or did I not understand something about your comments!

I think she's saying that it's bad her DD started hating history. Since she is a history major, she doesn't want that to happen and felt that was happening because TOG isn't a good fit right now.

They will be in Duluth Aprl 15-16, but I am in Burnsville April 16-17.

Hmmm....not sure I could convice dh to take all the babies on a trip to Duluth only to turn around and go back home that night.

Especially to go look at really expensive curriculum! :tongue_smilie: :lol:

They will be in Duluth Aprl 15-16, but I am in Burnsville April 16-17.

Hmmm....not sure I could convice dh to take all the babies on a trip to Duluth only to turn around and go back home that night.

Especially to go look at really expensive curriculum! :tongue_smilie: :lol:

I live in Rochester area. If you wanted to make a trip south, I would be happy to show you my TOG stuff. I have years 2-4 in print and DE.

I live in Rochester area. If you wanted to make a trip south, I would be happy to show you my TOG stuff. I have years 2-4 in print and DE.

Oh! I am actually going to Rochester in April. :) Hmmm....

I am on bedrest right now and due with baby #7 next Sat, so it would be a while. :lol: But that might work! We did ancients last year, so it was the next books I was looking at.

Thanks. That is very sweet of you! :grouphug:

Another MN TOG user up in the Mille Lacs Lake area. I have Yrs 1-3 but in DE only. I definitely could see how seeing it in print might be more useful but I too would be willing to show it to you if it helped. I am going to Duluth for the April convention - I plan to leave all but the newest baby at home with dh. Is this an option?

I am such a big fan of TOG. It is the only piece of my curric that I don't second guess constantly. Especially for a big family it is worth a look at some point. If it is not for you than it can be ruled out but my kids love it and I look forward to the ease of use it will bring me in years to come.

Another MN TOG user up in the Mille Lacs Lake area. I have Yrs 1-3 but in DE only. I definitely could see how seeing it in print might be more useful but I too would be willing to show it to you if it helped. I am going to Duluth for the April convention - I plan to leave all but the newest baby at home with dh. Is this an option?

I am such a big fan of TOG. It is the only piece of my curric that I don't second guess constantly. Especially for a big family it is worth a look at some point. If it is not for you than it can be ruled out but my kids love it and I look forward to the ease of use it will bring me in years to come.

It is. I just would have to be back to early. Do you know what time it starts Friday? Maybe if it were an early trip, I could pull it off.

I own a dance academy and my children compete in Burnsville on Sat morning. We have to check in between 6am and 8am. :glare:

It is. I just would have to be back to early. Do you know what time it starts Friday? Maybe if it were an early trip, I could pull it off.

I own a dance academy and my children compete in Burnsville on Sat morning. We have to check in between 6am and 8am. :glare:

It looks like it starts at 8AM. Here is the info from MACHE.

I was just looking and don't see Tapestry listed on the Exhibitor List. I wanted to give a heads up before you drove all that way for nothing. ;) I assume it is a typo on MACHE's part since Tapestry lists Duluth as one of their stops.

:lol: Oh my...that would be bad! Thanks for the heads up! :)

Oh! I am actually going to Rochester in April. :) Hmmm....

I am on bedrest right now and due with baby #7 next Sat, so it would be a while. :lol: But that might work! We did ancients last year, so it was the next books I was looking at.

Thanks. That is very sweet of you! :grouphug:

Just let me know if you are interested. I'm always happy to share what I know about TOG.

I didn't "get it" either until the print version of the unit that I'd ordered arrived. I had the DE for over a week and it is just too much clicking around for me. I like that I can put small post it stickies here and there in the unit print plan and by color I can tell if I need to see something on that page based on the color sticky I've got stuck there (blue is for readings/pink are for hands on projects/green is writing activities and worksheets).

It isn't as overwhelming as I thought it would be. I just know the color for the level I am working with (red for lower grammar) and keep my eyes on that for the most part. I haven't done a lot of reading in the teacher's notes or in the encyclopedia text that is included weekly (which adds a lot of paper but I love it because it saves me from having to dig up some of those spot on resources myself and it is all right there for me for easy access) but I will when we get going each week.

As everyone has said it is a buffet. My kid is too little to be a huge part of selecting any of the hands on projects. I have an idea of what she'd like to do but for this first pass through I am choosing things that *I* can handle with two other little ones under foot. No salt maps of the eastern seaboard for this family! No homemade colonial dress! No whittling soap! And so on. Just scan, check the boxes of the things you want to do and then when you go back and create your lesson plans you zero in on those checked boxes. At least that is my plan. :tongue_smilie:

I couldn't tell from the 3 week sample if it would for me either. I wound up buying Units 1 and 2 from Year 1 so I could look them over. I went with just print so I could resell them later if I decided not to use them. It's really helped me get a better feel for it and so far I really like it. I wouldn't be using it until next fall which gives me plenty of time to lesson plan.

I wish TOG would come to a nearby convention. Lampstand Press lists a MD address only about 45 minutes from where I live and the closest convention they are going to is in Richmond. :confused:

This may sound silly, but I can't really figure out how to use the free 3 weeks DE thingy.

That is what is making me think print may be a better route for me.

I don't know. Maybe I should play more with it.

I can understand how you feel. Have you already downloaded the samples on your computer? And have you also downloaded Locklizard? After you download Locklizard, Lampstand Press is suppose to send you a key in order to open the files. Once you get over the initial steps of setting it up and figure out how to navigate through it it is actually pretty easy. But not everyone feels comfortable using a digital edition and there are still many people (I was one of them until TOG ;)) that need something in their hands. If you want to try and figure out DE, you can always e-mail Lampstand Press. If you tell me at which point you are getting stuck with it perhaps I can help you figure it out.

Another option (not sure if it was mentioned already) is a Tapestry Tea. You could contact Lampstand Press and see if someone is having one close to you. Now, every person is different but personally I would not get anywhere are a convention. The distractions are too many I don't think that I would be able to focus long enough to figure out something like TOG. We went to a convention last year (no, TOG was not at our convention) and I couldn't get anything done because Malcolm was getting restless in his stroller and Adrian just wanted to check everything out. At a Tapestry Tea you would be able to sit with someone that has been using TOG and can point out things to you and give you time to ask questions. Again, at a convention it is difficult because they have others waiting to ask questions also and cannot spend as much time with one person as you may need.

Congratulations on your new baby on the way and all the best on your up coming delivery :). I am impressed that it is only a few days away and you are still thinking about curriculum :lol:.

Edited by Guest

I can understand how you feel. Have you already downloaded the samples on your computer? And have you also downloaded Locklizard? After you download Locklizard, Lampstand Press is suppose to send you a key in order to open the files. Once you get over the initial steps of setting it up and figure out how to navigate through it it is actually pretty easy. But not everyone feels comfortable using a digital edition and there are still many people (I was one of them until TOG ;)) that need something in their hands. If you want to try and figure out DE, you can always e-mail Lampstand Press. If you tell me at which point you are getting stuck with it perhaps I can help you figure it out.

Another option (not sure if it was mentioned already) is a Tapestry Tea. You could contact Lampstand Press and see if someone is having one close to you. Now, every person is different but personally I would not get anywhere are a convention. The distractions are too many I don't think that I would be able to focus long enough to figure out something like TOG. We went to a convention last year (no, TOG was not at our convention) and I couldn't get anything done because Malcolm was getting restless in his stroller and Adrian just wanted to check everything out. At a Tapestry Tea you would be able to sit with someone that has been using TOG and can point out things to you and give you time to ask questions. Again, at a convention it is difficult because they have others waiting to ask questions also and cannot spend as much time with one person as you may need.

Congratulations on your new baby on the way and all the best on your up coming delivery :). I am impressed that it is only a few days away and you are still thinking about curriculum :lol:.

Yeah.....that would explain alot! :lol:

I don't have a "key" to open it! :tongue_smilie: I have searched my emails and have nothing. Hmmmm...

K....think I have figured the DE out. Well....at least set up my account properly! :D

Good to hear :). Are you able to open the curriculum files? If you are able to get into the main interface (the one that says Tapestry of Grace up at the top and then has the Units directly under), then you just click on the Unit that has the samples and the week you would like to view. After you click on the week you will get a drop down list. Just click on curriculum and go to the left and click week plan (where it says "Browse the full week plan". A box should pop up asking you to "Open with: Lizard Safeguard - PDF Viewer". Click on "OK" and after it does its think (checking to see if you have a valid Locklizard license key) it should open the full week's files. Just go to the left after that and click on what you want to view or just scroll down to read the entire weeks worth of curriculum. HTH :D

Edited by Guest

Good to hear :). Are you able to open the curriculum files? If you are able to get into the main interface (the one that says Tapestry of Grace up at the top and then has the Units directly under), then you just click on the Unit that has the samples and the week you would like to view. After you click on the week you will get a drop down list. Just click on curriculum and go to the left and click week plan (where it says "Browse the full week plan". A box should pop up asking you to "Open with: Lizard Safeguard - PDF Viewer". Click on "OK" and after it does its think (checking to see if you have a valid Locklizard license key) it should open the full week's files. Just go to the left after that and click on what you want to view or just scroll down to read the entire weeks worth of curriculum. HTH :D

I finally figured it out. :tongue_smilie:

Feel like a dork! :lol:

Man...that is a LOT of pages for week ones notes! 56! Now I am trying to figure out how I would organize such a thing.

I would (in theory) have a LG, UG, and R right now. Then a UG and 2 UG's next year.

Hmmmmm.....I need to soak up some TOG wisdom.

I am still wondering if it may be overkill for my younger ones. I really like the look of HOD too. What to do. What to do.

I should still try to hold it in my hands and feel it out. I don't know.....sometimes I wish there was only one choice per subject! :D Darn curriculum! :tongue_smilie:

I finally figured it out. :tongue_smilie:

Feel like a dork! :lol:

Man...that is a LOT of pages for week ones notes! 56! Now I am trying to figure out how I would organize such a thing.

I would (in theory) have a LG, UG, and R right now. Then a UG and 2 UG's next year.

Hmmmmm.....I need to soak up some TOG wisdom.

I am still wondering if it may be overkill for my younger ones. I really like the look of HOD too. What to do. What to do.

I should still try to hold it in my hands and feel it out. I don't know.....sometimes I wish there was only one choice per subject! :D Darn curriculum! :tongue_smilie:

I am not a TOG expert ;) (we just started a few weeks ago and I only have one LG student) so I hope the TOG veterans pop in with their wisdom but personally with all the kids you have and expecting a new baby I would not attempt to do more than one programs if you don't have to.

There is a lot of info in TOG because the curriculum covers all four levels (LG, UG, D and R) and this is why so many pages :lol:. Just think the Year 1 curriculum is almost 2000 pages and the others (as I recall) are more. My next step would be to try to get the books (hopefully from your library if they have them) for the students that you have and try to read the weeks curriculum to see what you need to cover per level.

One great resource to help you is found in the Loom. Just go to the Unit that the samples are in and click on the loom. Does it give you access to the article: "General Introduction to Year 1" (or year two if that is the sample you are using). If the sample gives you access (I don't know if it does or not) then read it. It is very useful at getting you started. It should be at the top under the General Resources category.

ETA: Directly below it you should find the Set-Up information (for newcomers). Very useful also!

Edited by Guest

I was doing 3 SL Cores last year. This year I started TOG Y2. We are part way through our 2nd unit and it is so nice to be on the same page. The thing I like most about TOG is that it is an awesome resource and you can pick and choose how much or how little to do with all the different levels and really make it yours. For me it's easier after SL to read aloud the UG SOTW for everyone and then assign the D material for my oldest, LG is gravy if my library carries what's on the schedule. If it' a busy week we do less. If we have more time we can add more. This unit I added geography, mapaids, and art. I also love the Dad CD's, for myself. ;)

I bought my DE unit by unit as finances allowed, but really didn't get the depth and true appreciation for the program until I added the print, but that's me. (I think I was going through binder withdrawl.)

I was doing 3 SL Cores last year. This year I started TOG Y2. We are part way through our 2nd unit and it is so nice to be on the same page. The thing I like most about TOG is that it is an awesome resource and you can pick and choose how much or how little to do with all the different levels and really make it yours. For me it's easier after SL to read aloud the UG SOTW for everyone and then assign the D material for my oldest, LG is gravy if my library carries what's on the schedule. If it' a busy week we do less. If we have more time we can add more. This unit I added geography, mapaids, and art. I also love the Dad CD's, for myself. ;)

I bought my DE unit by unit as finances allowed, but really didn't get the depth and true appreciation for the program until I added the print, but that's me. (I think I was going through binder withdrawl.)

Thanks for your input. You know....I am wondering if I should just buy the unit that goes with where we are and do it.

That is probably the best way to know. Hmmm...

The more I thought about it, it actually isn't that many pages....considering it is 4 levels. My SL CORE 3 is HUGE!

Well, personally, I would not compare size of teacher's guides between SL and TOG. They use a much different approach, so comparing number of pages would not do justice to either one (my personal opinion :)). If you want to compare prices though, you can see that they are comparable if you divide TOG's cost by the number of levels covered in each Year plan ;).

Well, personally, I would not compare size of teacher's guides between SL and TOG. They use a much different approach, so comparing number of pages would not do justice to either one (my personal opinion :)). If you want to compare prices though, you can see that they are comparable if you divide TOG's cost by the number of levels covered in each Year plan ;).

True. It is different. I think I was just overwhelmed as I opened week one and was like "56 pages!" lol Then I remembered lugging my SL IG around and thought.....hmmmm...TOG isn't so bad. :)

The only bad thing.....I had a pretty good system of combining children in CORES including my highschooler. So that wouldn't convince dh. ;)

I have to be more clever! :tongue_smilie:

The only bad thing.....I had a pretty good system of combining children in CORES including my highschooler. So that wouldn't convince dh. ;)

I have to be more clever! :tongue_smilie:

Now I am confused! Why would you want to convince him? If you are happily using SL, why are you looking at switching. I had many important, to me and my family, reasons when I switched from SL to TOG. Had I not, I don't think I would have gone looking.

Now I am confused! Why would you want to convince him? If you are happily using SL, why are you looking at switching. I had many important, to me and my family, reasons when I switched from SL to TOG. Had I not, I don't think I would have gone looking.

I don't LOVE SL. It didn't offer enough extras to make it work for our family.

My dh thinks I have way too many books. He doesn't really get that it a part of homeschooling! :lol: So when I present yet another book dense curriculum, he is going to be thinking "Can't we just get them each a workbook?" :tongue_smilie:

That would be lovely! :)

Conventions....didn't even think of that. I am in Twin Cities area of MN, so there should be at least 3 of so to choose from.

TOG will have a booth at the following convention not too far from where you are this spring:

Minnesota: Duluth, MACHE, April 15-16

I'd love to have you visit me to see my hard copy version of TOG, but the trouble is that I live in the Pacific NW. :)

Blessings,

Lucinda

TOG will have a booth at the following convention not too far from where you are this spring:

Minnesota: Duluth, MACHE, April 15-16

I'd love to have you visit me to see my hard copy version of TOG, but the trouble is that I live in the Pacific NW. :)

Blessings,

Lucinda

:lol: That would be a bit of a drive! :D

I couldn't tell from the 3 week sample if it would for me either. I wound up buying Units 1 and 2 from Year 1 so I could look them over. I went with just print so I could resell them later if I decided not to use them. It's really helped me get a better feel for it and so far I really like it. I wouldn't be using it until next fall which gives me plenty of time to lesson plan.

I wish TOG would come to a nearby convention. Lampstand Press lists a MD address only about 45 minutes from where I live and the closest convention they are going to is in Richmond. :confused:

Amy, I'm up in Carroll County, MD. I have TOG Y1 units 1-2 and will have 3-4 and Y2 this spring, if you'd like to see it in person. Are you going to the MACHE curriculum fair in April (Frederick Fairgrounds)?

I don't LOVE SL. It didn't offer enough extras to make it work for our family.

My dh thinks I have way too many books. He doesn't really get that it a part of homeschooling! :lol: So when I present yet another book dense curriculum, he is going to be thinking "Can't we just get them each a workbook?" :tongue_smilie:

You might want to check between the books you already have on your shelves and the TOG booklist. You may find that you already own some. That may help a little :).

ETA: You may also be able to replace some books on the TOG list with what you already have.

You might want to check between the books you already have on your shelves and the TOG booklist. You may find that you already own some. That may help a little :).

ETA: You may also be able to replace some books on the TOG list with what you already have.

That is my next plan. To start checking through what I have and making a list of what I need.

I kind of decided that for ds18, he can just do with what we have. I am going to focus more on the LG and UG level to get a hang of how this works.

From what I have researched, subbing at the Grammar level is pretty easy. So hopefully....this will be smooth sailing.

Now to figure out how to pay for it! :001_huh:

:lol: That would be a bit of a drive! :D

Sorry :D

Well, you are getting lots of wonderful input and suggestions despite my convention idea. I just know that if I had a large family such as yours, I'd seriously consider TOG. It is well worth the investment. My dd has learned so much since we started our own TOG journey, and that is using it with one child. With multiple children it works at its best - especially since you build up a library that over time gets used over and over again, and the lessons can be shared by the whole family. The Sommerville's designed it for this very reason.

Blessings as you explore your options.

Lucinda