Menu

Beta fish changing colors?

Our Beta, which we've had for 1 1/2 years suddenly seems to have changed color from a deep blue to a reddish purple. So much so that my husband even noticed! (yes he's one of those that him noticing something like this, especially in the fish, is actually a huge deal.)

We've been gone the last two weeks, so I don't know when it happened, but my husband was home feeding him.

Could it be the temp? Just before Christmas my son bought him a new tank, so he went from a 1/2gallon bowl in the kitchen, to a 1 gallon mini tank with a filter up in my son's room. His room is actually one of the warmer places in the house, and has a consistent temp, where the kitchen, part of the addition is cooler than other places in the house, but warms up when cooking, so the temp there is by no means consistent.

Could it be the water? The water conditioner is made to measure out for a 10 gallon tank, so even though I worked out a rought estimate of how much to use, I'm sure I put in more than needed.

Could it be the tank light or lack of light? This one has an actual light in the hood of the tank. It's tiny, (think night light/older large christmas bulb) but still lights up the tank/part of the room well enough. My son would sometimes leave it on all night as a night light. However while we were gone, the blinds in his room were closed, and the tank light off, so the only real light Peanut got was when my husband switched the lights on to feed him or light coming out of the bathroom into the room.

Or do beta fish just do this? Is it a problem for them? Does it mean they are near the end? I don't mind the fish going. I was just hoping it would be closer to our next PCS date. Close enough to say, "Hmm, why don't we wait a few months and get a new fish at the new house." We've still got 18 months on this tour, and I can't use that line for that long! LOL! Which means I then need to get a new fish now, and then find someone to take it when we leave. Since I bought the fish within the first two weeks of this 3 year tour, I wasn't expecting to have to give away fish at the end. I figured that problem would solve itself, but I figured either the fish would make it longer/closer to PCS date, or they'd be shorter term fish and we may go through a few, but still be 'done' closer to the date! This halfway point is tricky! LOL! What is the life span of a beta fish anyway??

No idea about the color changing... that never happened to any of mine. My longest lived beta was in my possession for 4 years before he died. I'm not sure how old he was before that, but I assume fairly young. I lost one beta at 2.5 years and the one we have now is going on 2 years in March.

We had a male beta fish that would change color if he thought another beta was around. Sometimes the window would reflect him in his bowl and he would change color. He also changed color when my dc would hold a mirror up to him because of seeing his reflection. He always changed back when the reflection went away.

Our Beta, which we've had for 1 1/2 years suddenly seems to have changed color from a deep blue to a reddish purple. So much so that my husband even noticed! (yes he's one of those that him noticing something like this, especially in the fish, is actually a huge deal.)

We've been gone the last two weeks, so I don't know when it happened, but my husband was home feeding him.

Maybe the fish died and your dh bought a new one... and now he is saying it changed color?? ;)

Maybe the fish died and your dh bought a new one... and now he is saying it changed color?? ;)

Well, that's what I told both my friends to do when each of their kids fish sat before. Just buy a new blue one. I was actually more worried about their kids being upset about 'killing' our fish then my kid.

But buying a new one isn't exactly my husband's style. He's more "The fish died." End of story.

The food hasn't changed. He's not near a window or anything to reflect either. It's just a mystery I guess.

Our Betas would always change color before they died. I have brought one back from an almost death by upping the tank temperature and leaving it next to a heating vent though. Almost all of our fish have died during the winter...but we do live in MN where it was -15 or so last night. Our inside temp is just never warm enough to keep the fish alive and we have now given up on keeping them. I think you've done great to keep a Beta for as long as you have. Hope it stays alive longer for you.

Lesley

I know little about them - other than what I just found when googling, but it sounds like he's stressed. Maybe it's just the new tank and the new environment and the water being a little bit off usual, or maybe your son is playing with him more now that he's in his room. Did you have plants in his tank? Do you have them in the new one? He may need enough to feel he can "escape" to safety. Just some thoughts. I hope he adjusts soon. You may want to call a pet shop for some suggestions.

That was my first thought! :D

Well, I never thougth he was the type to do that, but in case I was wrong, I asked him last night and he assured me (with first a HUGE eyeroll, followed by a look that said "You've got to be kidding if you think I did that.") that in no way did he replace a dead fish.

After that, I am now completely convince that should the fish ever die, it will NOT be replaced. If the husband finds it I'll get either a phone call or a post-it saying "The fish is dead." If I'm out of town again, I'm sure he would be unceremoniously flused and we'd come home to an empty bowl of water! LOL!