Jump to content


Rote memory

Recommended Posts

If I read and understand something, I remember 80% of it automatically, the other 20% I can remember if I make an effort to make it stick. My ds has a similar way of remembering information. Dd on the other hand, is asked the same questions every day (ie. What is an action word? What is 3 + 2?) And each time she looks at me like she's never heard of such an animal before. What do I do? Do I make her go over it everyday? Will she get it eventually? Do I tattoo the answer to her forehead? (OK - that's just the frustration talking. . .!) Anyone else deal with this and have some answers?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My son has to do a lot of review before he remembers facts. Even as we do 8th grade work, I have him do speed drills on 2-12 multiplication tables. If I do this, he does fine, but if I don't, he will get slow and forgetful while doing his math work. I have been told that this is a trait of ADHD - the inability to do math with quick and easy recall of facts. With that in mind, we just keep working on it.


This week I read Why Student's Don't Like School and it was very helpful to me. It has a lot of information that convinced me that I need to work a bit harder making sure that DS has enough in his memory to access when he is thinking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...