Menu

Studying Logic

My son is halfway through his fifth grade year. I got Logic Countdown and Mindbeners level A1. They are both a little too young for him. The next book in the Logic Countdown is Logic Liftoff, and it may be a little more appropriate for your older child. My son finished the Mindbenders book today--we started it about two weeks ago. However, even though it was reasonably easy for him, I don't regret starting with the lowest level, simply because it sort of warmed him up, if you will, and I think it built his confidence. I also have this same view of the Logic Countdown book, because he will be finished with it very soon as well.

I had also looked at the Building Thinking Skills book--my personal take on it was that it is a little more formal than the Logic Countdown series, so I guess it depends on what you are looking for. I ended up getting the Logic Countdown book because of some recommendations on here, and I don't regret it.

My son has had some exposure to these types of puzzles and things when he was in the gifted program in public school, so it wasn't entirely new to him. I will say they are lots of fun, and we work them together sometimes even when it isn't "school time." My advice--order a couple of the mindbenders so you don't end up running through one and then having to wait for another one to come!

Given the expense of Mindbenders for the number of puzzles you get, I would just get some of the inexpensive Dell logic puzzle books they sell at newsstands.

I picked up this book at our homeschool consignment store and like it pretty well. Adventures with Logic by Mark Schoenfield. It has a variety of activities---mindbender type, riddles (using or, and, but, if-then, unless statements), a few games for pairs, analogies, sets, sequencing, decoding (license plates, codes, etc) and more. It's not a big book, only 55 pages of activities, but worth it for the low price. Here's the link on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Logic-Reproducible-Activities-Grades/dp/0822402858/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296513040&sr=8-1 --it can be had for as low as 93 cents plus shipping.

ETA: My daughter is 5th grade and we've done a few of the activities so far.

Given the expense of Mindbenders for the number of puzzles you get, I would just get some of the inexpensive Dell logic puzzle books they sell at newsstands.

I picked up this book at our homeschool consignment store and like it pretty well. Adventures with Logic by Mark Schoenfield. It has a variety of activities---mindbender type, riddles (using or, and, but, if-then, unless statements), a few games for pairs, analogies, sets, sequencing, decoding (license plates, codes, etc) and more. It's not a big book, only 55 pages of activities, but worth it for the low price. Here's the link on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Logic-Reproducible-Activities-Grades/dp/0822402858/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296513040&sr=8-1 --it can be had for as low as 93 cents plus shipping.

ETA: My daughter is 5th grade and we've done a few of the activities so far.

I think that Mind Benders is a rip-off. That whole company is a overpriced. Some of their products we liked, but not all.

Thanks for this link. Have added it to my wish list.

Has anyone looked at the Evan Moor Thinking Skills book for grades 5-6? I saw it in the Rainbow Resource bargain bin and thought it looked good... :confused:

I'd love to hear what others have to say. Some Evan Moor things I really like, Others are just "busy" if you KWIM. Distracting ... This has a CD-ROM it seems. I just viewed sample pages on amazon. I'm not much of a CD-ROM person. Kind of old-fashioned in our school. But am still open to hearing what others have to say.

BTW, your dc are absolutely adorable! :)

I actually use Buidling Thinking Skill with my younger kids. Both of my sons used levels 1-2 in 2nd-4th grade. It gets them thinking, but isn't that difficult.

I agree that Mind Benders are expensive. Someone on the board suggested Perplexors. We have been doing those this year with my older two. They both really enjoy them. Seems like they are about $10 for about 50 puzzles. They are a great alternative if your child likes the Mind Bender type of puzzles.

I also use the Logic Liftoff series mentioned.

I really like using a variety of sources so that the kids aren't learning a method of "thinking" and can't use it on a different program because it isn't written or worded the same.

I think that Mind Benders is a rip-off. That whole company is a overpriced. Some of their products we liked, but not all.

Thanks for this link. Have added it to my wish list.

Agreed, I usually only buy their materials used or try to get them on paperbackswap.com.

Someone on the board suggested Perplexors. We have been doing those this year with my older two. They both really enjoy them. Seems like they are about $10 for about 50 puzzles. They are a great alternative if your child likes the Mind Bender type of puzzles.

Amy, thanks for the reminder re: Perplexors. I'd heard of it, but forgot to follow through. If I remember correctly, there are different types, math, etc. Is there a specific one that you prefer?

I really like using a variety of sources so that the kids aren't learning a method of "thinking" and can't use it on a different program because it isn't written or worded the same.

:iagree:

After the Mind Benders we went on to Critical Thinking by Anita Harnadek, as recommended in WTM. It's my girls's favourite subject. They love discussing the lessons. Beware though, you might need to skip chapter 2 (there was a thread about it some while ago and I was sooo relieved that I wasn't the only one struggling with it).

Since we've got the Mind Benders I'll have ds start off with them before the Critical Thinking, but I wouldn't buy them again. Our main problem with them was that we're not American and it had so many references to American culture that we didn't get. But that shouldn't be a problem for most of you;)!

After the Mind Benders we went on to Critical Thinking by Anita Harnadek, as recommended in WTM. It's my girls's favourite subject. They love discussing the lessons.

Thank you for the reminder about Critical Thinking. I had made a note to possibly order this soon.

After the Mind Benders we went on to Critical Thinking by Anita Harnadek, as recommended in WTM. It's my girls's favourite subject. They love discussing the lessons. Beware though, you might need to skip chapter 2 (there was a thread about it some while ago and I was sooo relieved that I wasn't the only one struggling with it).

Since we've got the Mind Benders I'll have ds start off with them before the Critical Thinking, but I wouldn't buy them again. Our main problem with them was that we're not American and it had so many references to American culture that we didn't get. But that shouldn't be a problem for most of you;)!

Thanks also for this warning! ;)

but I wouldn't buy them again. Our main problem with them was that we're not American and it had so many references to American culture that we didn't get. But that shouldn't be a problem for most of you;)!

I'm confused as to which you're referring to when you say that you wouldn't buy them again. Do you mean that you wouldn't buy Mind Benders again OR Critical Thinking? Does Critical Thinking have far too many references to American culture? My dc are very familiar with American culture, but not with all of it. They've never lived there. Just visited almost every year. Plus, American TV, the internet, books, etc. Just wondering if I should get Critical Thinking or not ... :confused: