Menu

Algebra 2 options

We used Foerester for Algebra 1 and like it. We will start algebra 2 this fall and had planned to used Foerester's Algebra 2, but after reading the algebra thread, I'm having second thoughts.

What have you used for algebra 2? What have you liked and not liked? This is for a fairly strong math student.

Thanks,

Karen

My daughter used Margaret Lial's Beginning Algebra then used Jacobs' Geometry (2nd ed.) for Geometry. She followed up with Lial's Intermediate Algebra for Algebra 2. She then placed into College Algebra which she took at the local community college.

Regards,

Kareni

Well, I can tell you what DIDN'T work:

-My oldest is currently working through MUS Algebra 2. (We won't repeat this with the two younger children.)

Our game plan for the younger two:

-I spoke with Art Reed (Saxon) on the phone yesterday. We will be going with the older, hardback Saxon texts and Art Reed's DVD series.

He said that a student that completes up through the first 1/2 of Advanced Mathematics can "ace" any standardized test and would have no problem being accepted at Stanford.

My eldest was using the 1965 Dolciani Structure and Method and also some of LOF Advanced Algebra for Algebra 2. The drawbacks to the old Dolciani for her were 1. the only solution manual I found was going for $100 on Amazon (for a 45 yo paperback book) and 2. when I sent her to ps (she refused to write for me, etc) she lacked any experience with matrices and with a scientific calculator. The later was easily rectified, and she has done some work with matrices through the LOF book, Foerster's (I have the Alg 2 on the shelf) and online since she'll need it for the final.

We are now Lial fans. I've also got older ed. Lial college alg and trig books we still use for reference. We used other authors for pre-calc (but I think Lial would have been equally good) and now for calc we are using Stewart.

One reason we didn't go with Foerster for II was all the different books, manuals, etc. if you didn't stay w/ the older alg II. One poster (Sharon?) did a great job with her student but it sounded like a lot of work for the parent. Lials is a complete package and the videos are still avail. for free online, last I checked.

We have used Art of Problem Solving Intro to Algebra. The first 13 or so chapters are what a typical algebra 1 class covers; chapters 14 through 22 are algebra 2 material. We continue with AoPS Intermediate Algebra which covers part of the "typical" algebra 2, and some topics that other programs lump as pre-calculus (AoPS online classes cover the two algebra books as THREE algebra classes.)

AoPS is great for students who are good at math and interested in math. Not for everybody.

I used Foerster for Algebra II using the Alg/Trig book. I used it for a year. When we got to the trigonometry chapters we moved to the current Foerster PreCalc book(which contains trig). In the algebra II book, some of the material in the 2 or 3 chapters before the trig chapters is repeated in the precalc book, but we had time so we did them as well. It worked well for us and prepared my oldest well for college calculus and college entrance exams.

But, I should disclose that I have a degree in math, because I learned early on in homeschooling that sometimes advice from someone strong in the subject doesn't always work for someone who isn't.

I also probably don't always teach the lessons straight from the book. I think this would be true for me regardless of the text, but my oldest did most of Alg II without asking for help except for occasional help on specific problems. My next child needed me to teach everything(sometimes twice:) )

We are now Lial fans. I've also got older ed. Lial college alg and trig books we still use for reference. We used other authors for pre-calc (but I think Lial would have been equally good) and now for calc we are using Stewart.

One reason we didn't go with Foerster for II was all the different books, manuals, etc. if you didn't stay w/ the older alg II. One poster (Sharon?) did a great job with her student but it sounded like a lot of work for the parent. Lials is a complete package and the videos are still avail. for free online, last I checked.

Janice, would you please share how to see the free Lial's videos online? We're using BCM this year in 7th, and I purchased the DVT's. If we sitck with Lial's, it would be great to have free videos available.

The videos are here.... I think. http://www.math.iupui.edu/media/M-11100_Algebra/ It doesn't say Lial but it is. It runs on realplayer so you'll have to download that if it's not on your computer. I didn't test it b/c I don't have realplayer installed on this computer. It worked as of November 2010 when a friend tried it. Let me know if it still works.

I really like Kinetic Books. It is perfect for self-study, most of the problems have immediate feedback, and my girls actually found it kind of fun.

It's a solid program. It covers most of what's in Chalkdust Precalculus, although I still plan to cover precalculus afterwards as a separate course. I think covering that material for a 2nd time will be very helpful.

http://www.kineticbooks.com