Menu

Allergies...

Can you have an allergy of the skin but not internal?

What I mean is my dd and dh get a reaction from coconut oil on her skin (I made homemade deodorant and it broker her out, and my dh the rest of us are fine). However I cook things with coconut oil and both seem fine.

Is that normal?

Hmmm...I suppose you could have a contact dermatitis to something externally only. I'd not want to consume it though myself. I'd wonder what's happening inside.

Was there anything else in the deodorant? A lot of recipes seem to call for baking soda and many, many people tend to react to that topically.

Like the above poster, I'd be cautious on consuming it.

My son with multiple food allergies was not allergic to coconut oil, then began developing hives on his hands/wrists when using soap that contained a coconut derivative. Then the tell-tale (and scary) throat symptoms started when he consumed coconut oil. He now has a confirmed coconut allergy - bummer. For us, it was one more in a long list of severe allergies - so it didn't change our lifestyle considerably, we always have epipens, etc on hand because he's anaphylactic to many foods.

Have you checked to see if it's definitely the coconut oil and not another ingredient? Put a small dab on her inner arm, maybe, and check it in half an hour?

Well, my dh can't eat certain vegetables raw, but he can eat them cooked.... so I'd say yes, you can react differently depending upon how things are made, cooked, or even what they are cooked with (this enzyme, plus that enzyme could create a reaction)

My dd had a food allergy to one product. There was nothing in that bread she hadn't eaten before, but something about the combination in that brand made her start wheezing. We elminated that brand, and she's never had an allergic reaction to food again. She is, however extremely allergic to mites, must take daily baths, and slather herself in Eucerin cream daily. At least, we don't have the constant battle with eczema, though.

Well, my dh can't eat certain vegetables raw, but he can eat them cooked.... so I'd say yes, you can react differently depending upon how things are made, cooked, or even what they are cooked with (this enzyme, plus that enzyme could create a reaction)

My dd had a food allergy to one product. There was nothing in that bread she hadn't eaten before, but something about the combination in that brand made her start wheezing. We elminated that brand, and she's never had an allergic reaction to food again. She is, however extremely allergic to mites, must take daily baths, and slather herself in Eucerin cream daily. At least, we don't have the constant battle with eczema, though.

The raw vs. cooked vegetables would (I'd suspect) likely be an Oral Allergy Syndome.

On the daughter that is strange! Does she have any food allergies? I'm asking because I'd wonder about trace contamination with another allergen produced on the equipment with that bread. They don't have to label cross contamination.

The raw vs. cooked vegetables would (I'd suspect) likely be an Oral Allergy Syndome.

On the daughter that is strange! Does she have any food allergies? I'm asking because I'd wonder about trace contamination with another allergen produced on the equipment with that bread. They don't have to label cross contamination.

We took her to the allergist for a complete skin test (not the rast, but I wouldn't know what to look for). The only thing she reacted to was mites (that area was still angry two hours later). No dairy, wheat, eggs, nuts...nothing.

It was a cinnamon swirl bread. She doesn't react to mine, or any other type, and it only happened the one time.

I was allergic to peas, but could eat peanut butter. I didn't "like" it until I was a teen... but I still can't get those peas to stay down (it may be more psychological by now)