Menu

MOH2 Or Biblioplan w/SOTW2

MamaBear

My dd10 is finishing up with SOTW1 and I am having a hard time deciding on which of these to use. I like SOTW and my dd loves it, but I want biblical/church history to be taught along with history. So it is either MOH2 or Biblioplan Medievil,Ren&Ref along with SOTW2. Which would you use and why? Please, any advice or comments welcome:)

Thanks,

I'm currently using Biblioplan with STOW2 for my DD7. We were using TOG until recently because it was just too much for her at the LG stage. We really like it and it is a much, much, gentler introduction into history. Bilioplan does increase in its difficulty as the children get older.

One thing that you might want to know is that you can use MOH with Biblioplan. There is a section that corresponds MOH with the Biblioplan lessons and STOW2. If you wanted to use all three at one time, you could. Use MOH and STOW2 as your spines, Biblioplan maps and timeline, and the STOW2 Activity book for hands on. That combo would probably work really well, IMHO :D

I'm currently using Biblioplan with STOW2 for my DD7. We were using TOG until recently because it was just too much for her at the LG stage. We really like it and it is a much, much, gentler introduction into history. Bilioplan does increase in its difficulty as the children get older.

One thing that you might want to know is that you can use MOH with Biblioplan. There is a section that corresponds MOH with the Biblioplan lessons and STOW2. If you wanted to use all three at one time, you could. Use MOH and STOW2 as your spines, Biblioplan maps and timeline, and the STOW2 Activity book for hands on. That combo would probably work really well, IMHO :D

Thanks so much for your reply. I've combed over the websites for each of these mentioned many times and I think I am in a fog as a result. I understand that MOH is a spine like SOTW, and Biblioplan is more of a means to pull different resources together as you study the time period. Does Biblioplan not have hands on activities? I see that you suggested the SOTW activity guide. What resources do you use to go along with it?

Thanks,

Does Biblioplan not have hands on activities? I see that you suggested the SOTW activity guide. What resources do you use to go along with it?

Biblioplan does have some hands on activities in their Cool History packet. They have questions to review what has been learned that week and sometimes a word search, but their activities are kind of basic (my daughter loves them, but she's only 7). For example when we studied the Celts, we learned that their favorite color was blue. For the activity that week it was suggested to wear blue, eat blue foods, and paint your face blue like a Celtic warrior. She had a lot of fun with this, but I can see where that kind of activity would probably seem a little silly to an older student. Plus, only one hand-on activity is suggested each week, so there are no alternatives if you wanted to do something different.

For now this simplistic approach works great for us, but as she gets older (3rd-4th grade), we will probably want some meatier hands-on stuff. However, as you rotate through Biblioplan the readings that are suggested for the students get much more lengthy (around 5th grade), so the time for hands-on stuff diminishes.

Right now, I am using just Biblioplan resources and the STOW (without the activity guide). We use their Cool History packet, timeline, and maps. The suggested weekly program is to only do history three days a week, but we are doing four days a week just to make it more managable. You could actually do it five days a week, if you wanted to go that route.

This is how our week breaks down:

Monday: Read selected chapter from STOW. Answer questions from Cool History orally. Read from the Family Read Aloud book (This is our favorite part. It is a historical fiction book about the time period or people you are studying. It usually carries over for two or three weeks. Some of the Biblioplan selections I didn't think would interest my child, so I used Sonlight's read aloud list to get some alternatives.)

Tuesday: Read selection from the Usborne History book. Do our copy work from STOW reading the day before. Read from Family Read Aloud book.

Wednesday: Map work, suggested book for the K/2 grade, and Family Read Aloud

Friday: History Activity from the Cool History packet, timeline, and Family Read Aloud

This is WAYYYY longer than I intended for it to be, but that gives you an idea of how Bilioplan works for our family.

We really do love it, so I hope it works for you as well :001_smile:

I am currently doing TOG Year 1 with my children, but I will not be continuing with it.

It is funny that you posted this, because I just ordered BiblioPlan MR&R and the SOTW2 Activity Guide, today. I have downloaded the activity guide and I am in the process of downloading BP. I am planning on using a combination of BiblioPlan and SOTW2 for next year. I 'may' also get VP MR&R to add in for my DD who will be in 7th Grade.

I am happy to hear that others or contemplating the same combination. I am adding BP for the exact same reason that the OP stated. I want a little more Christian Worldview and Church History than SOTW provides.

Edited by Roxy Roller
revising

Thanks for all your replies:) What other main resources do you use, aside from the SOTW spine to enhance your study? I am wondering if I should get the six listed as primary resources on their site Also, I see that the parent companion guide is not available yet for this volume so what do you do for an answer key for review questions and the map work?

Thanks for all your replies:) What other main resources do you use, aside from the SOTW spine to enhance your study? I am wondering if I should get the six listed as primary resources on their site Also, I see that the parent companion guide is not available yet for this volume so what do you do for an answer key for review questions and the map work?

I emailed BiblioPlan, and the first half of the Parent Companion will be ready this spring, the last half will be ready in the fall.

I will be using the Famous Men series that is scheduled in the BP guide, as well as one of my Kingfishers for my DD to outline from.

I haven't used Biblioplan, but have used SOTW 1-4 and MOH 1. We are on MOH 2 now and I'm really happy with it.

What I like about it:

1. I like how it's written, like the author is speaking personally to you.

2. Very informative.

3. Activities for three different age levels.

4. Love how it covers Bible history.

What I don't like:

1. They do seem to not quite cover all the cultures or countries that SOTW does. But they still do a great job.

Gosh, talk about not being able to get off the fence!:) Does MOH2 have answer keys to the review questions and mapwork? I saw the website had a mapwork answer key on their site for vol. 1 but did not see one for vol 2.

Thanks again for your input,

I will go check my book....

I am currently using SOTW-2 and MOH-2 and they coordinate very well/easily. Somewhere out there - in cyberspace! - there is a grid that lays out each text, side by side, so you know which chapters/lessons go together. I am pretty sure it is one of 'Paula's Archives' - do any of you ladies know what I am talking about or have the link?! It is extremely helpful, so hopefully someone has it. I will go look and post a link if I can find it. Is that 'RedShift' or something like that?! Gosh, I wish my memory was better! :tongue_smilie:

I FOUND IT!!! http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/sotw2moh2.htm - yay! HTH.

Edited by CarrieF
Update with link

I'm using SOTW 2 with Biblioplan, and like it (w/ a 2nd grader). It also includes MOH as an option (in BP. , meaning it is scheduled ), which you may already realize. So you could get both the SOTW and MOH text and do them both along with BP if you wanted. I am also using the SOTW 2 AG. When we started the year, the BP COol History packet wasn't out yet. For next year, I'm not sure whether I'll get the SOTW 3 AG or just use the BP Cool History. I highly recommend BP, esp. for a 10 year old I think you'd really like it. They pick great books.

I used Biblioplan and SOTW 2 for our first cycle and will probably be using both again next year. One of my very favorite resources scheduled in Biblioplan for year 2 is Rats, Bulls, and Flying Machines. I found SOTW to be surprisingly weak on the Renaissance. This book was fantastic. It's probably upper elementary or middle school level--we used it as a read-aloud and did fine. Looks like your dc is older--should be a good fit.

I used Biblioplan and SOTW 2 for our first cycle and will probably be using both again next year. One of my very favorite resources scheduled in Biblioplan for year 2 is Rats, Bulls, and Flying Machines. I found SOTW to be surprisingly weak on the Renaissance. This book was fantastic. It's probably upper elementary or middle school level--we used it as a read-aloud and did fine. Looks like your dc is older--should be a good fit.

I will have to add that book to my list. Thanks :)

I'm using SOTW 2 with Biblioplan, and like it (w/ a 2nd grader). It also includes MOH as an option (in BP. , meaning it is scheduled ), which you may already realize. So you could get both the SOTW and MOH text and do them both along with BP if you wanted. I am also using the SOTW 2 AG. When we started the year, the BP COol History packet wasn't out yet. For next year, I'm not sure whether I'll get the SOTW 3 AG or just use the BP Cool History. I highly recommend BP, esp. for a 10 year old I think you'd really like it. They pick great books.

Do you find it difficult to not have available answers for the map work? I really want to use BP, especially since they use SOTW, but not having the Parent Companion E-Book for answers to the cool history questions or a map answer key is really keeping me from going with BP.

I really appreciate everyone's comments,