Menu

dd is bored with Singapore - should I try Righstart?

SevenDaisies

We used Essential math for K last year, and she liked math. We are using SM 1A/B for 1st grade - we are halfway through 1B. Her fondness for math has declined to the point that it is like pulling teeth to get her to do the practice problems. She understands the concepts and when she does the problems she answers them correctly. However, she sighs every time I pull out the book and it takes me a couple of days to get her to even look at the problems.

I was considering RS A for my ds 4, and I wondered if it would be worth it to make the switch for my dd 6 as well. Have others switched for this reason and did it make it more fun? Also, how difficult would it be to manage A & B at the same time? I'd like to get back to SM eventually, but wondered if RS could address the current issue. Thanks!

Singapore is such a great program for kids who excel in math. If it was me, I would be tempted to stick with Singapore for that reason--in the long run, it will probably provide more challenge. If she's already mastered the concepts, she may not need to do all the problems. You may want to spice it up a little by adding math games. There are some great ones in the Standards edition HIGs for Singapore, and Peggy Kaye's Games for Math is fun too. When ds feels bored in a subject, we often alternate--doing his regular work one day and then doing educational games or Rainbow Rock on the next.

However, she sighs every time I pull out the book and it takes me a couple of days to get her to even look at the problems.

Maybe it is just me, but I would nip this in the bud instead of hunting for another curriculum. Perhaps DD has "learned" to carry on to get a delay in, well, WORK.

I tell kiddo math is work, right now school is HIS work, everyone (respectable) works, and to can the attitude and hop to it.

When my son pulls the heavy sighing, I tell him: okay, two extra problems. The attitude stops in its tracks. Really, math for us is not just math, it is how we learn to FOCUS when it is tough, how we learn to GET ON WITH IT when dragging feet would be easy, how we learn to empty our bladder first, how we learn to ASK for help, how we learn to whistle while we work (metaphorically speaking) to make it go faster, how we learn to take a "problem" and turn it into a "challenge" (i.e. attitude). Our "bad" math days are few, but he gets no reward out of it, like a couple of days delay to get him to look at the problems.

Good luck and :grouphug:!

Sometimes we take things our littles do a little too literally. Sometimes I'm bored = It's hard for me. If it's too easy, let her test out and move forward. It might actually be she can do the work but her facts are slow or her hand is tired. Or she may have hit a wall conceptually with the amount of thinking required. If it were too easy, she could blow through it. Like Pudewa says: We enjoy doing the things we do well.

BTW, to answer your initial question, RS is fine (we used it, A-D), and Math Mammoth is terrific. But I don't think you can solve the problem till you figure out what it is.

Sometimes we take things our littles do a little too literally. Sometimes I'm bored = It's hard for me. If it's too easy, let her test out and move forward. It might actually be she can do the work but her facts are slow or her hand is tired. Or she may have hit a wall conceptually with the amount of thinking required. If it were too easy, she could blow through it. Like Pudewa says: We enjoy doing the things we do well.

I don't think it's too easy for her. I think difficulty wise it is just right. I think you hit it with her facts being slow. I was trying to take the gentle approach with memorizing the facts, but if she knew them better she probably wouldn't mind the problems so much:)

I appreciate all the great advice. I'll stick with what we're using and try to fine tune. Thanks!

I don't think it's too easy for her. I think difficulty wise it is just right. I think you hit it with her facts being slow. I was trying to take the gentle approach with memorizing the facts, but if she knew them better she probably wouldn't mind the problems so much:)

Games. There are lots and lots of math games. Zeus on the Loose was a big one here, as was facts bingo, facts go fish, facts war, facts slap-jack and dice games. Now we are doing multiplication games

http://www2.shopping.com/Frank-Schaffer-FRANK-SCHAFFER-PUBLICATIONS-FS-2262-LEARNING-GAME-MULTIPLICATION/info

Have you started the bar math books for SM?

http://www.singaporemath.com/Heuristic_and_Model_Approach_s/143.htm

You could start a thread if you'd like a lot more ideas on fact games.

HTH

Just want to add another recommendation for adding math games. It kind of breaks up the monotony of having to do worksheets all the time. The Family Math series is great and there are also a lot of ideas out there on the 'net... you just have to Google. :)

Another option could be to add in Miquon. Singapore and Miquon go great hand-in-hand. It's a totally different approach to mathematics and a lot of kids love it and do great with it. Miquon uses cuisenaire rods (c-rods), so that adds another manipulative to your arsenal, too. :)

There used to be a chart that showed how Miquon and Singapore complement each other, but the link I have no longer works. I'll keep looking...

Yup, some kids take a while to learn their facts, and some take a longer while, as in YEARS (decades? hehe). Start working on it now and just keep working on it, lots of ways, patiently and diligently. Whatever type of kid you have will become obvious.

To add to the great suggestions, these can be fun. http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/24+Game+96-Card+Deck%3A+Add-Subtract/008655/1295641197-688158

Another thought is to do some of the problems in a different format. My DD does a lot of the workbook and IP orally, which, given that a big part of SM is Mental math, seems just fine with me. Sometimes I'll write down steps for her, sometimes not. She's working on time right now, and instead of trying to draw hands on a clock, I'm having her set up the answer on a movable clock (one without gears). If I tried to make my DD do anywhere near as many pages as some of the SM lessons have, I'd have rolled eyes and "I HATE this", too.

Maybe it is just me, but I would nip this in the bud instead of hunting for another curriculum. Perhaps DD has "learned" to carry on to get a delay in, well, WORK.

I tell kiddo math is work, right now school is HIS work, everyone (respectable) works, and to can the attitude and hop to it.

When my son pulls the heavy sighing, I tell him: okay, two extra problems. The attitude stops in its tracks. Really, math for us is not just math, it is how we learn to FOCUS when it is tough, how we learn to GET ON WITH IT when dragging feet would be easy, how we learn to empty our bladder first, how we learn to ASK for help, how we learn to whistle while we work (metaphorically speaking) to make it go faster, how we learn to take a "problem" and turn it into a "challenge" (i.e. attitude). Our "bad" math days are few, but he gets no reward out of it, like a couple of days delay to get him to look at the problems.

Good luck and :grouphug:!

I tried the 2 more problems trick today, and after the initial look of horror, I got a smile (albeit a fake one) and a completed assignment. :001_smile:

Edited by joliet

I tried the 2 more problems trick today, and after the initial look of horror, I got a smile (albeit a fake one) and a completed assignment. :001_smile:

Great. We also have the periodic talk about focusing getting us done with the task sooner. That works is a case of the dawdles overcomes him.

Another thought is to do some of the problems in a different format. My DD does a lot of the workbook and IP orally, which, given that a big part of SM is Mental math, seems just fine with me. Sometimes I'll write down steps for her, sometimes not. She's working on time right now, and instead of trying to draw hands on a clock, I'm having her set up the answer on a movable clock (one without gears). If I tried to make my DD do anywhere near as many pages as some of the SM lessons have, I'd have rolled eyes and "I HATE this", too.

This has also worked for us, "us" being my first grader who is doing Singapore 2 this year. We designated a corner of the school room as "Math World" for a while and would sit in that corner, on the floor, for math; we use hand-held white boards for some of the problems; we do some orally; we use jelly beans. Any change helps to get through a tough spot. Now he loves math and is thrilled when he masters a new concept. An actual sentence from him this year: "Mom, guess how much I love carring ones?!!!"

I agree with those who have said SM probably isn't the problem. SM is never the problem; like Mary Poppins, it's practically perfect in every way. ;)

Terri