Menu

MFW vs. Tapestry of Grace

mama2cntrykids

I ran into a acquaintence last year at the HS convention and we were talking about what curriculum we use. She said that she used Tapestry of Grace and that even though the history rotates yearly and that even though children will do the same year more than once, that it is different when they rotate through the second time. Sorry, that was a bad sentence:001_huh:.

Anyway, is this true or did I miss understand? I know with MFW, it rotates too and the child will get the same material the second time around with 7th/8th add-ons.

I'm considering what we're going to do next year. Keep going with MFW or jump to something else. MFW is going well, but I feel like the kids might be missing *more* of something, you know?

Thanks for any and all answers!

Do a search on this board for TOG MFW and you will find many, many threads that compare the two.

I also suggest browsing around the Tapestry website and watching the introductory videos. Download the 3 week samples. Read the message board, as well as the many, many threads about TOG here.

There are 4 learning levels in TOG Year plans.....all with a completely different set of books. So after your children complete the first cycle, they would simply move up to whatever the higher level is that suits them, and so that's what your friend meant. They are covering the time periods more than once, but each cycle it goes deeper and deeper and they are using completely different books each time.

MFW is going well, but I feel like the kids might be missing *more* of something, you know?

Thanks for any and all answers!

a general answer....

If you are using something that is going well, and you are just having "grass is greener at Mary's house" syndrome.....

then, stick with what you have. ;)

If you are using something that is going well, but you realize that you need to add something (whether it is what Mary is doing, or not).... add it in gentle ways that don't overwhelm your day, or your student's day.

now to the specifics in MFW (I've used it for a long long time.... my oldest started MFW in 2nd grade and is in 9th grade where high school is very different.)

What do you think you are missing more of in MFW? can that be gently added without dramatic change since MFW is working for you? Is it already in MFW and not being seen?

The students who repeat an MFW program in 7th/8th grade are working more on skills needed in logic stage to get ready for high school. So, yeah, my kiddo repeated ECC and CTG (it had been 5 years), but much of it she was happy to do again while working on LIterature Analysis, Writing Prep, and thinking about it stuff, and different science....

Stuff she left out in 2nd/3rd grade, we got to do. most of that was stuff that was at higher level to begin with.

You can switch to whatever you want. I have a great wonderful real life friend who loves TOG. She's happy. I'm happy. Neither of us feels like something is missing from the programs we use. That's the key thing: nothing is missing from either of what we're using.

I should go eat breakfast. it's really late into the morning....

-crystal

What she said about TOG is true, because they will be working at a different level with different books and assignments.

If you are already happy with one curricula, I wouldn't change (take it from a mom that has been there, done that). But I can understand the draw. I've used both TOG and MFW. We've decided, for a variety of reasons to stick with MFW.

a general answer....

If you are using something that is going well, and you are just having "grass is greener at Mary's house" syndrome.....

then, stick with what you have. ;)

If you are using something that is going well, but you realize that you need to add something (whether it is what Mary is doing, or not).... add it in gentle ways that don't overwhelm your day, or your student's day.

now to the specifics in MFW (I've used it for a long long time.... my oldest started MFW in 2nd grade and is in 9th grade where high school is very different.)

What do you think you are missing more of in MFW? can that be gently added without dramatic change since MFW is working for you? Is it already in MFW and not being seen?

The students who repeat an MFW program in 7th/8th grade are working more on skills needed in logic stage to get ready for high school. So, yeah, my kiddo repeated ECC and CTG (it had been 5 years), but much of it she was happy to do again while working on LIterature Analysis, Writing Prep, and thinking about it stuff, and different science....

Stuff she left out in 2nd/3rd grade, we got to do. most of that was stuff that was at higher level to begin with.

You can switch to whatever you want. I have a great wonderful real life friend who loves TOG. She's happy. I'm happy. Neither of us feels like something is missing from the programs we use. That's the key thing: nothing is missing from either of what we're using.

I should go eat breakfast. it's really late into the morning....

-crystal

Not to hijack, but could you please explain the bolded sentance above? You can PM me if you don't want to take up room in this thread.

Not to hijack, but could you please explain the bolded sentance above?

probably just sloppy writing when I should have been eating breakfast. ;)

the real question, can I state it better after breakfast, or not? :lol: probably not.

I was just saying my oldest child has used MFW in 3 learning stages. (2nd and 3rd grade stages aka grammar ish stage). Logic stage (4th-8th) and just now is in 9th grade.

The high school program is separate from the "5 year cycle" programs like ECC CTG RTR EX1850, 1850mod. So the high school program is written for rhetoric stage and uses different manuals and books from the earlier years.

and I guess I was just saying if there was something the OP wanted to add, I might have ideas to help add them to MFW if she wanted that info or ideas to bounce to help her decide the route that works better for her.

feel free to PM me. sometimes my brain works better after I take an Omega 3 supplement.

-crystal

probably just sloppy writing when I should have been eating breakfast. ;)

the real question, can I state it better after breakfast, or not? :lol: probably not.

I was just saying my oldest child has used MFW in 3 learning stages. (2nd and 3rd grade stages aka grammar ish stage). Logic stage (4th-8th) and just now is in 9th grade.

The high school program is separate from the "5 year cycle" programs like ECC CTG RTR EX1850, 1850mod. So the high school program is written for rhetoric stage and uses different manuals and books from the earlier years.

and I guess I was just saying if there was something the OP wanted to add, I might have ideas to help add them to MFW if she wanted that info or ideas to bounce to help her decide the route that works better for her.

feel free to PM me. sometimes my brain works better after I take an Omega 3 supplement.

-crystal

You're bad writing? Did you notice that I spelled sentence as sentance. Eek! Thanks for the clarification. I guess I was just wondering what kind of a leap is made between the younger guides and the highschool guides. Off to do a search.......:auto: