Menu

Perimenopause = big pile of emotional goo??

So I've been going through this for a few years now, but the last few weeks have been horrible!!! The hot flashes are every 30 minutes, and emotionally I've been on a roller coaster. For example, yesterday my fil made an inappropriate financial comment, and I can't stop thinking about it, I cried all day about it, I want to move out, etc. I feel as upset now, 24 hours later, as when he said it. It was a rude remark, but not one that should set me off this badly. And then, last night dh and I went to the pharmacy, and left ds with fil. We were also going to go food shopping, but didn't want to leave ds alone with fil that long. Fil just sits and watches tv all night, and doesn't engage ds at all. Ds is also having severe anxiety problems again, on top of his usual issues, and can't even handle being alone in a room for long. Anyway, we were at the pharmacy longer than expected, and apparently ds was trying to call us and we didn't get the call. We walked in to see him on the phone in tears, with fil oblivious in the living room watching tv. He was so upset that he was shaking, and thought something bad happened to us. It just broke my heart, and I spent the whole night in tears, wondering when things will get better for ds. It kills me that he has to go through this! These are things that would normally upset me, of course, but I don't usually spend whole days and nights crying. I've been like this for a few weeks now. I've never spent so much time in tears! I was going to try something natural for anxiety and depression, but now I'm thinking I should go back on Prozac. I don't want to try hormone therapy because my mom developed a clot while on HRT. What are my other options here? If you've been through something similar, please tell me what helped you. I'm losing it here!!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I am so sorry you are going through this. I think most of my emotional issues were tied to the fact that I wasn't getting enough sleep due to the hot flashes during the night. The lack of sleep made me on edge during the day.

I used a Chinese herb don quai, (something like that) that reduced the hot flashes for a while. After they came back I experimented with other herbs, (you can google for a list). But nothing realy worked.

I know you have ruled out hormone therapy, but I would really encourage you to discuss the options with you doctor on your next visit. They have many options not available in your mother's day.

My friend swears by over-the-counter strength progesterone cream. I got some at Walmart, but didn't notice any difference.

Another friend swears by bioidentical replacement hormone therapy. I haven't looked into that yet.

My doctor put me on an estrogen gel - topical. I cannot believe the difference. My hot flashes are gone and I am getting a full nights sleep.

I hope you find something that works because run-away emotions are no fun.

Sorry you're going through all this. One of my never-ending overwhelming long posts again.

HEALTHY EATING is KEY during this time

Limit spicy foods, especially in the evenings

Limit refined sugars and processed foods in favor of whole grains

Increase your intake of fresh fruits and veggies, as well as good-quality fasts (such as olive oils)

Eat cold-water fish for fatty acids

Limit alcohol and caffeine

Crunch cruciferous veggies – broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower – they have compounds that help the liver flush out artificial estrogens that collect in the body from external sources like pesticides. Aim for 2 servings per day.

Leafy greens (including arugula and other salad greens, collards, spinach, and Swiss chard) are high in calcium, magnesium, and vitamin K, so important to bone health, as well as the phytochemicals, lutein and zeaxanthin, that protect both cardiovascular and eye health. If you’re perimenopausal or menopausal, eating your greens—rich in folic acid—can even fight hot flashes and the blues.

SUPPLEMENTS

Look into a liver-cleansing supplement, such as milk thistle or dandelion tea, to help rid your liver of stress-causing toxins.

Chaste Berry (Vitex) or Chaste Tree Berry

• Does not contain any hormones, but rather, works on the hypothalamus and pituitary glands, stimulating balanced production of estrogen and progesterone – balances and promotes progesterone

• Indicated for a number of menopausal and perimenopausal concerns - It is often used to treat excessive bleeding, fluid retention and breast tenderness.

• May inhibit the secretion of prolactin , which stimulates the growth of mammary glands. Excess prolactin may be a risk factor for breast cancer. Chasteberry's influence on prolactin and two other female hormones, luteinizing hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone, may also help reduce the menopause-like symptoms of hormonal drugs like tamoxifen

• Is a herb that is high in phytoestrogens. Phytoestrogens are forms of estrogen that are much weaker than the body’s estrogens, but that are capable of blocking the stronger, more damaging estrogens (they can fit into the same receptors in breast cells that estrogens can, thus preventing the estrogen’s ability to dock there). Phytoestrogens also expand the length of the menstrual cycle, possibly lowering the lifetime exposure to estrogen.

• Chaste tree berry (vitex) may inhibit the growth of breast cancer cells.

It's very gentle and somewhat slow to show its full effects, so give it a couple of months before deciding if it's helping.

Normalizes hormone secretion and helps balance estrogen and progesterone

40 mg daily

Pregnant and nursing women shouldn't use Chasteberry. There are few drug interactions, but dopamine receptor antagonists can diminish its effectiveness. Rashes are a rare side effect. Because Chasteberry has an effect upon progesterone synthesis, it may not be appropriate for women who have strongly progesterone receptor-positive breast cancer.

Some swear by supplements containing Black Cohosh, Red Clover, Evening Primrose Oil, Licorice, etc. yet others suggest avoiding them since they may increase estrogen levels and will possibly raise the risk of breast cancer.

The following are some of the herbs with estrogenic activities and should be avoided as much as possible, if that’s what you’re concerned about:

• Anise

• Hops

• Fennel

• Black Cohosh

• Red Clover

• Don Quai

• Licorice

• Ginseng

• Royal Jelly

• Peony

• Nettle

• Sage

• Fenugreek

• Evening Primrose Oil

• Chamomile

So, it’s a personal decision … personally, I would only use these as a last resort, when or if all else failed.

Nonetheless, I’m going to list the benefits, etc. here … the decision is yours.

Nothing has been found to be nearly as effective for menopause symptoms as Black Cohosh. Many Black Cohosh supplements are less potent than they appear. You need to get 540 mg daily. Studies have shown that in sufficient doses, this herb can help alleviate menopausal symptoms in as little as 4 weeks. Puritan’s Pride Black Cohosh 540 mg

Black cohosh can reduce hot flashes by 85%.

Black cohosh treats hot flashes, night sweats, headaches, vaginal dryness, and anxiety

Not all of these supplements contain the estrogenic ingredients above. Read the labels and do your own research. Some may be perfectly fine.

OVERALL RELIEF

Daily Balance Harmony

Enzymatic Therapy AM/PM Menopause Formula

Gaia Herbs Phyto-Estrogen

NOW Foods Menopause Support

Solgar Herbal Female Complex

VAGINAL DRYNESS

Culturelle Probiotic

New Chapter SC Omega 7

Home Health Vitamin E Oil

STRESS AND ANXIETY

Garden of Life Oceans 3 Healthy Hormones – also good for overall relief

Source Naturals L-Theanine

DEPRESSION

Rainbow Light Complete Menopausal Support

Barleans Omega Swirl Fish Oil

Nordic Naturals Omega 3D

HEAVY BLEEDING

The goal is to reduce estrogen levels and increase progesterone levels. Essential fatty acids, beta-carotene, and lutein help promote healthy ovulation and progesterone production in the body.

Bioflavonoids (buckwheat, citrus fruit peels and pulp) when combined with vitamin C, moderate estrogen levels and strengthen blood vessels to reduce heavy menstrual bleeding

1500-3000 mg bioflavonoids and 1000-3000 mg Vitamin C daily

HERBS – These herbs, alone or in combination – can alleviate or at least mitigate – your menopausal challenges.

WILD HOPS reduces hot flashes and night sweats, anxiety, and helps muscles relax. Wild hops can help you sleep

30-120 mg at bedtime

Has to be dried to have any medicinal effect

Often used in combination w/valerian and lemon balm.

ASHWAGANDA. Called “mood food”, this herb calms nerves and lifts spirits

SEA BUCKTHORN is also called Omega-7. It combats vaginal dryness and regenerates thinning mucus membranes

GINKGO increases circulation and eases depression and brain fog

LICORICE ROOT is mildly estrogenic, stimulates the adrenals, and may ease depression. Don’t use if you have high blood pressure.

Black Licorice Tea has adrenal-rejuvenating properties – Traditional Medicinals Organic Licorice Root Tea – only have 2 well-brewed cups every other day since licorice can cause a fatigue-inducing potassium imbalance. After 6 weeks, take a 5-day break before repeating the regimen. 1-3 cycles of this helps most women. Do not consume if you’re pregnant or have high blood pressure.

RASPBERRY LEAF eases cramping and tones the uterus

MOTHERWORT is a lovely herb to calm anxiety. It also helps promote restful sleep.

Edited by Negin in Grenada

WILD YAM ROOT - Add ¼ cup wild yam root (purchase it cut and sifted) to one pint of cool water in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook 15 minutes. Remove from heat and steep an additional 15 minutes. Strain, cool, and pour into an ice cube tray. Freeze. Then place one ice cube in a mug, pour a cup of boiling water over it, and drink the diluted mixture while it’s still warm. Take 1 cube 3 times a day as needed.

Wild yam root, well known as a hormone regulator is most often used to treat symptoms of menopause. The root is nutritious and anti-inflammatory. Don’t use this remedy if you’re pregnant or taking birth control pills.

SAFFRON promotes calmness and reduces irritability and hot flashes

1 pinch stirred into hot, cooked food daily

HOT FLASHES

According to Chinese medicine, hot flashes are the result of sluggish liver. During menopause, the liver has to go through significant adjustments due to hormonal changes. When the liver is sluggish, the "Chi" (energy flow) in the liver encounters too much resistance due to the adjustments and therefore produce "heat". If the liver is healthy, both the blood flow and "energy flow" are smooth and no "heat" will result. Spicy foods, especially ginger and cinnamon, are very "yang" foods. They congest the liver and produce "heat" that could aggravate hot flashes. Women who suffer from hot flashes may have to avoid these foods.

INCREASE ZINC TO INCREASE PROGESTERONE PRODUCTION and curb the copper from water pipes, tea, coffee, cocoa, chocolate, and soy. Excessive copper equates to estrogen dominance while low progesterone usually correlates with not enough zinc. Copper and zinc need to be in a ratio where zinc is 8 parts to copper's 1. Bring on those zinc supplements (Zinc Plus sold through Uni Key is said to be very good) as well as organic beef, eggs, and natural pumpkin seeds.

VITAMIN D3 plays a key role in the synthesis and metabolism of estrogen and progesterone.

If you're under 50, take at least 2,000 IU per day.

If you're 50 or over, take at least 5,000 IU per day of vitamin D3.

Always take your vitamin D with a fat-containing meal to ensure absorption.

Your need for vitamin D3 is affected by age, skin color, and the severity of any deficiency

Edited by Negin in Grenada

MAGNESIUM helps the body break down excess estrogen and ease stress. Load up on almonds, spinach, black beans, and dark chocolate.

If you have symptoms of magnesium deficiency (and most of us do) – if you’re feeling edgy, for example; have muscle cramps, suffer insomnia, crave chocolate, or notice increased urination, adjust your calcium-magnesium ratio, so that you’re taking at least as much magnesium or—ideally—twice as much magnesium as calcium.

400-1200 mg daily of Magnesium is helpful but use according to bowel tolerance. Your body knows how much magnesium you can tolerate from bowel tolerance – take as much magnesium as your bowels can tolerate

If you can, add 100 mg of magnesium to your nutritional supplements, and increase it by 100 mg every few days until your stools are soft, but not uncomfortably loose.

Take in divided doses and with meals to ensure optimal absorption – preferably more at night

Calcium, magnesium, and many other minerals are best absorbed when they are bound to an acidic carrier such as citrate, aspartate, picolinate, or amino acid chelate. Minerals need an acidic base to break down and get used.

The most absorbable forms are magnesium citrate, glycinate taurate, or aspartate, although magnesium bound to Kreb cycle chelates (malate, succinate, fumarate) are also good.

Avoid magnesium carbonate, oxide, sulfate, and gluconate. They are poorly absorbed (and the cheapest and most common forms found in supplements).

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to magnesium glycinate.

Most minerals are best taken as a team with other minerals in a multi-mineral formula.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

REGULAR EXERCISE can improve your mood, lower stress levels, and help you sleep.

Increasing your level of activity can reduce hot flashes.

Many yoga poses and the regular practice of yoga help relieve menopausal symptoms

Practice deep breathing. Inhale deeply through nose, allowing your belly to rise. Exhale slowly and forcefully through the mouth, letting your belly fall. Repeat for 5 minutes 3 times daily, or whenever a hot flash strikes.

Once the hot flash passes, ensure the body relaxes fully by inhaling one last time, holding for 3 seconds, and releasing forcefully.

PROGESTERONE CREAM

Balancing out estrogen with progesterone is important at this time. Progesterone is the brake pedal for estrogen.

Not all progesterone creams are alike. Make sure to get one that is natural, organic, bio-identical and not synthetic. Emerita is a very good one. Karuna may also be good, although I’m not completely sure – worth looking into. Both are available from amazon. Ann Louise Gittleman also has one called ProgestaKey.

Please keep in mind natural does not imply organic. Many of these creams have not only the main ingredients based on phytoestrogens, but also have the toxic xenohormones, parabens and mineral oil too. They are far from organic. So be aware and ask questions about your creams!

Apply ¼ to ½ teaspoon of the progesterone cream directly to your breasts morning and evening. More progesterone is absorbed into breast tissues when it’s applied to them directly, and that’s ultimately where you want most of the progesterone to go. Do not apply it to other areas, even if the instructions tell you to do so. Progesterone receptors are only found in the breasts (and ovaries), so apply directly to the breasts to decrease vascularity. Repeated thermograms prove this is the only correct application method to reduce vascularity and risk. Or to explain this easier, if you cut your thumb and you apply Neosporin to your elbow how effective is that? Apply the cream directly to area that it is needed. It can reduce some signs of menopause when applied indirectly, but when you move it to the breasts you will see a greater decrease in menopause issues and more importantly you are reducing the vascularity in the breasts.

I was crazy for a few months when I had PMS, which I normally don't have. I thought things that were SO not true, I grossly exaggerated things in my mind, I was a WRECK for about 5 days before my cycle. I'm going to be 48 and I know this was all hormonal, but this was all new to me. I felt like I was going insane! In talking to other women, I now know this was normal, but NOT acceptable!

For me, I've completely changed my diet. I can't tell you if it will be what works for me or not because I've only been on it for three weeks, but I feel SO fantastic and I'm quite certain my emotional issues won't be as bad this time. I also cut out all coffee and am drinking tea, mostly herbal, one cup of caffeinated per day. I take my stress B vitamin complex, magnesium, and I have l-theanine for times when my nerves get the best of me. I haven't had any in almost a month, but it works wonderfully.

As always, Negin has some WONDERFUL input!

Negin

Is chasteberry vitex better in a tincture or pill form? And what brand do you recommend?

Can you take Vitex, if you are on a prescription anti-depressent such as Effexor?

Bioflavonoids (buckwheat, citrus fruit peels and pulp) when combined with vitamin C, moderate estrogen levels and strengthen blood vessels to reduce heavy menstrual bleeding

1500-3000 mg bioflavonoids and 1000-3000 mg Vitamin C daily

Can you elaborate on this? Is bioflavonoids available in a pill form? Or is this something you make from food?

PROGESTERONE CREAM

Balancing out estrogen with progesterone is important at this time. Progesterone is the brake pedal for estrogen.

Not all progesterone creams are alike. Make sure to get one that is natural, organic, bio-identical and not synthetic. Emerita is a very good one.

I have this. Is this safe though, to take on a long term basis? I have heard that proges. cream can clog up veins with fat deposits??

And apply only to breasts? What about on uterine areas?

Is this safe to take on top of Vitex?

Could you also tell me about the best food with iron in it? Besides the obvious of red meats, liver, raisins etc..Maybe I am missing something?

Thank you Negin:lol:

Is chasteberry vitex better in a tincture or pill form? And what brand do you recommend?

I have no idea. I do know that I love vitacost for their reviews. I still haven't tried chasteberry, because it's hard and a total pain to get things shipped here.

Supplement Brands I like/trust (don't know if they all have Chaste Berry/Vitex):

Carlson’s

Nature’s Way

New Chapter Organics

NOW

Enzymatic Therapy

Solgar

Source Naturals

Twin Labs

Anything with a short ingredient list - no soybean oil, no sugar, starches, colorings, etc. – the less things in it, the better

Brands I've heard good things about, but have not yet tried:

Rainbow Light

Nordic Naturals

Nature’s Plus

Health from the Sun

Jarrow

Member’s Mark

Pure Encapsulations

Puritan’s Pride

Shaklee

Darwin’s

Vitamin World

Zone Perfect

Metagenics

Can you take Vitex, if you are on a prescription anti-depressent such as Effexor?

Again, sorry, but I don't know.

Doctors aren’t always savvy about drug, food, and nutrition interactions. Pharmacists frequently have access to an up-to-the-minute database that tells them which substances combine well together and which can cause problems. You need to know whether or not the nutrients you’re taking could cause complications, or could thin your blood too much, particularly if you’re scheduled for surgery.

It’s vital to talk with several people in your health-care team – your pharmacist, physician, and any practitioners of complementary medicine, to look carefully at the actions and interactions of everything you’re taking. You or they can also consult the new “Physicians’ Desk Reference for Nutritional Supplements”, an excellent up-to-date reference on the actions and adverse reactions of hundreds of nutrients.

http://www.pdrhealth.com/drugs/altmed/altmed-a-z.aspx

Negin

Can you elaborate on this? Is bioflavonoids available in a pill form? Or is this something you make from food?

I think that they're in foods naturally AND in some supplements. I'm pretty sure that I've seen them in some Vitamin C supplements. Need to read up on that more - but as always, food is far more important than supplements.

[/color]I have this. Is this safe though, to take on a long term basis? I have heard that proges. cream can clog up veins with fat deposits??

And apply only to breasts? What about on uterine areas?

Is this safe to take on top of Vitex?

The lady who gave me the thermogram has been applying it daily for years. Many do.

I have no experience with the clogging of veins and fat deposits.

I only apply it to the bre@sts. Haven't tried the uterine areas.

I think it's fine to take with Vitex. The progesterone cream I take is a very safe and mild one. It's worth trying for a while and taking note of how you feel.

Could you also tell me about the best food with iron in it? Besides the obvious of red meats, liver, raisins etc..Maybe I am missing something?

I'm afraid all that I have on my list are what you probably know already.

There are many great food sources of iron, and as always, this is the best way to go.

Vitamin C can increase iron absorption by as much as 30%. So drinking orange juice, eating strawberries, green peppers, etc. along with your iron-rich foods is a good idea.

Iron-rich foods include:

Eggs

Fish

Liver

Meat

Poultry

Leafy green vegetables

Whole grains

Almonds

Raisins

Here are some more.

Sorry to sound a bit rushed. Hopefully, others, including Peela :), can offer some advice and wisdom also. Sorry I wasn't of much help. :confused:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Welcome to the Club!

Yesterday, hubs could not understand why I was so upset over something so minor that a friend mentioned in passing. LOL ;) I am also beginning the journey. One good thing 'bout the hot flashes if you are frugal in Winter... you don't feel the chill at night!!! LOL I am now sleeping in my summer (thin fabric) jammies and kicking off the down comforter. Oh my.

I am also Aspie (my ds is too) and it broke my heart about your son being in tears. I was so anxious as a teen too. Bless his heart. Give him a hug from us.

I too can relate and my life is not stressful right now.

Perimenopause- women in their 40s- is a time when we need to take care of ourselves on all levels- physically eat well, get enough exercise- emotionally, deal with unresolved issues- spiritually...whatever that means for you, becoming aligned with living your values.

Physically..if you don't take care of yourself now, the stakes seem to get much higher, particularly if you have not taken good care of your body in your 30s. It all comes back to bite you. Its time to focus on your own needs rather than just everyone else's. Do whatever you need to do- because if you don't, everyone around you suffers anyway.

Chaste tree, dong quai, various other herbs, bioidentical hormones (I suggest looking into these- it is not the same as taking HRT).

I recommend you buy or borrow this book- What your doctor may not tell you about premenopause

and read it. Or if you are close to menopause, get the one of menopause by the same author.

For diet, I suggest you get Food Rules by Michael Pollan.

But my main suggestion is that you see what may be out of balance in your life and deal with that. Are you too hard on yourself? Work on forgiveness and gentleness. Are you too busy? See where you can cut back. Do you eat on the run? Look at meal planning or whatever would help there.

Its a time to really honour and take care and food/supplements is only one aspect of that. WOmen tend to sacrifice their 20s and 30s to other people and by the 40s, you cant do that without a cost to yourself.

Thats not to say that menopause wont be difficult anyway- but my understanding is that it needs to be dealt with on many levels. FOr myself, at 43, I use chaste tree and i have progesterone cream as back up. As I get closer to 50 I will probably add in some other herbs. I eat well. I am lucky right now- not homeschooling, not working. I am about to go back to yoga classes. One dentist visit and I was a blubbering mess and my mouth is still numb 5 days later. Things just affect me more- they dont roll off as much.

Perimenopause- women in their 40s- is a time when we need to take care of ourselves on all levels- physically eat well, get enough exercise- emotionally, deal with unresolved issues- spiritually...whatever that means for you, becoming aligned with living your values.

Its time to focus on your own needs rather than just everyone else's. Do whatever you need to do- because if you don't, everyone around you suffers anyway.

Chaste tree, dong quai, various other herbs, bioidentical hormones (I suggest looking into these- it is not the same as taking HRT).

I recommend you buy or borrow this book- What your doctor may not tell you about premenopause

and read it. Or if you are close to menopause, get the one of menopause by the same author.

For diet, I suggest you get Food Rules by Michael Pollan.

see what may be out of balance in your life and deal with that. Are you too hard on yourself? Work on forgiveness and gentleness. Are you too busy? See where you can cut back. Do you eat on the run? Look at meal planning or whatever would help there.

Its a time to really honour and take care and food/supplements is only one aspect of that.

Brilliant post, Peela. :thumbup:

I've heard great things about that "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You" book. And of course, most people here know that I also love "Food Rules".

I've heard very good things about all the entire "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You" series. I haven't read them yet.