Menu

Kindergarten: Boxed Curriculum OR Piece together?

mama2cntrykids

I'm starting to think about my dd's (4.5) Kindy year for Fall. I'm not completely sure if I want a boxed curriculum or if I want to piece it together with things that interest her. I really feel that Kindergarten is a fun and magical year for young ones and want to reflect that. What makes it harder? The infant I will have at that time;).

What do YOU do or what have you done in the past for the Kindy year? And why?

Thanks!

I tried Boxed or all in one curriculum, but there was always something I didn't like about it. (Mainly following their schedule). I say piece it together! Just decide what subjects you want to cover......then research each online until you find what you want to use. It looks like you've been on this board for awhile, so I'm sure you have a pretty good idea of the curriculum out there. :D Good luck and have fun!

I did boxed K programs with the first two kids, and then pieced things together for the third. They all went well, though I missed a bit of the cohesion I had with the first two, when I did my own thing the third time around.

I'm still trying to decide what to do next year for my youngest's K year, but I'm leaning towards using Sonlight's P4/5. It's flexible enough that I can add things to it, but it will give me some boxes to check, and also enable my older girls step in and help if I need them to. Right now, he's using OPGTR and Singapore Math, so we'll keep those.

When my oldest started K, I had a 3 year old and a 2 week old infant, so having a set schedule was a tremendous help, especially in the beginning. On the days when I got very overwhelmed, it was nice to think that as long as I got the stuff done on the schedule, we were golden. We used Sonlight's Core K that year.

I don't think a boxed curriculum is really necessary at that age unless you are unsure of what to do. I don't think it's really necessary to do a lot of "school" stuff because so much of it is just interacting with your child with regular activities.

A walk in the neighborhood could be a nature lesson, geography lesson and a social studies lesson all rolled into one. Other things like arts and crafts are a big part of helping improve motor skills and you could just go to Michael's and get paints and beads and yarn, etc. If you want to teach about money just get out some coins and you have an instant lesson.

To start on reading and number skills, I would buy or make alphabet and number flash cards. You could buy penmanship practice books almost anywhere; they generally come with an example of how to make the letters. For science, history, geography, etc., that could be done with library materials, magazines, etc.

It can be an expensive proposition if you go with a boxed curriculum but you can do it cheaply and on the fly with ordinary objects and materials. If you're unsure of how much you should work on, look at a scope and sequence for guidelines. Just remember it is only a guide made for the non-existent "average" child.

There are ALOT of threads similar to yours!

What worked for us may not work for you but I'll post what we used in K4 and are using now in K5. With my first dd I did all the "free" things online and that was a disaster! So I highly suggest researching curriculum or hands on learning and don't make the same mistake I did and print freebie things, do occasional crafts. I felt that my oldest started out LATE with reading and writing because I didn't have anything strong for her and thought that all the things I was printing was helping...which it did but I def. played catch up and now that I have my middler in K5, we've got set curriculum and she's got a very firm educational ground (more than her big sister had)...and when I have my tot boy doing K5, I'll have even a sharper idea then...:tongue_smilie:

First it depends on how your child learns and how you teach. Def. a learning process for the both of you. We did change our curriculum around the first couple years and still 4 years INTO homeschooling we're STILL adjusting and I'm certain we might be forever slightly adjusting...hopefully no HUGE leaps and bounds changes like we did in the beginning though.

The hive is amazing for helping you get on your feet!! I wish I dug into the hive from my first day of homeschooling but I didn't find the hive until 2 years after I started. LOL!

Sorry for rambling..

Kindergarten we used...

• Handwriting without tears Preschool and Kindergarten books (my dd FLEW through these and enjoyed them!)
  • Kumon workbooks for sentence writing (partly because she flew through her HWT books)
  • Hooked on Phonics K (I love this overall program and my oldest enjoyed it as well and picked up on reading rather quickly. However with my dd5 right now she's def. having a rougher time of it. So I think I will go back to using the CD's with her instead of just me reading the new words to her..)
  • BoB Books (DD seems to really enjoy these right along with her HoP too)
  • Geography maps and coloring pages and puzzles (picked up from dollar tree and puzzles from walmart)
  • Apologia Astronomy (we did this last year when dd5 was in K4 and she enjoyed it but the writing was TOO much for her)
  • Considering God's Creation (I wish we did this last year instead, but this year it's been a PERFECT match for us!)
  • MoH 1 - Mystery of History 1 (We started this last year and although some of the writing for the activities were a bit much for my K4er then she loved it and enjoyed the memory cards, the activities and the timeline...she misses that we didn't start back up with it this year, I cut it out about 2 months after starting this school year to focus on reading and writing...we'll pick up where we left off next year..we made it about half way through)
  • MEP YR and MEP Y1. (She loves math!! So this year she began right into year 1 of it. However we are switching math programs for next year to Math Mammoth, but that's only because I simply can't plot out 45min-1hr PER child for math alone and have a tot-boy playing "construction site" on the house..:lol:)
  • First Language Lessons 1 - My K5er is AWESOME with the memorization of the poems and defintions. We don't do the enrichment activities on paper, but we do all of what we can verbally and she is doing wonderful with it!
  • FIAR - Five in a row (We haven't started this yet, but I was planning on starting BFIAR for my tot-boy next fall and after seeing all the raves about the entire curriculum I'm hunting for the main book to begin FIAR THIS year for my 2 oldest!)

I hope I was of SOME help! Good Luck!

We're doing Kindergarten this year, and I cannot imagine using a boxed curriculum. It would surely make me crazy!

The only formal curricula we're using are for math (Math Mammoth; my kid is an older Kindergartner and was ready for "first grade" math) and German. For reading we just read books - we previously used the Ordinary Parent's Guide, but gave it up at the beginning of the school year around lesson 118.

For everything else, I piece it together. I don't find it at all difficult. I do use a weekly checklist to make sure we cover every subject area each week.

Over the years, my preference for K has changed. I used to be all about having programs. Now, I think K should be about gently learning to read. I enjoy the Phonics Road method of spelling to read and write. It's the first time I've used this method and I am amazed at how it's working. Essentially, we are doing a letter a week initially, now a more like 2 or 3 letters per week. My blog lays this out.

We are also doing math organically. Counting, writing numbers, finding patterns in daily life. Clean up has taught addition and subtraction,

"Clean up 2 toys and come back to me."

He comes back. "Now clean up 3 toys and come back to me."

He returns. "How many toys did you put away the first time?" I write2 on a board or paper.

"How many toys did you put away the second time?" I write + 3 on the board or paper.

"How many toys did you put away all together?"

He counts on his fingers, "5."

"That's right. 2 and three are five." I point to the number sentence in relation to my recitation.

We do this for everything. Setting the table..."put this many forks and come back, etc. etc." "Go fold this many towels and come back...." "Put out this many crayons for your brother and come back" Jump this many stones, toss this many rocks, gather this many leaves, etc. etc, etc.

My focus is on teaching him ways to make 5 and 10 and he's learning his math facts. It's the best K math I've ever done and we're having fun!

I printed free sheets from DonnaYoung.org for number writing practice and he does a page or so a day. Connecting dots coloring books reinforce number recognition, as does simply turning pages in books we read.

He is following along for science and history by sitting in for read alouds and doing mostly coloring or hands on activities. If he didn't have older sibs, I'd say make several suggestions on science topics, let him pick them, and go to the library. Just read aloud, read aloud, read aloud.

Learn the continents and major bodies of water....viola! Easy K! My favorite year, ever,...and 5 Kers came before him!

One thing that is neat about some of the boxed curriculum is that the different components are designed to work together. For example, I am using BJU's phonics and their reading. The phonics words are included in the readers so she gets practice using her new words. We aren't using the spelling, but the phonics and reading words are included in the spelling lists (word families). I really like how everything fits together.

I just wanted to offer a different perspective about the much maligned "box" curriculum:001_smile:

I have pieced together the remainder of her curriculum, and I can certainly see the benefits of doing that also. Enjoy these early years. They go too fast!

Melanie

We're doing Kindergarten this year, and I cannot imagine using a boxed curriculum. It would surely make me crazy!

The only formal curricula we're using are for math (Math Mammoth; my kid is an older Kindergartner and was ready for "first grade" math) and German. For reading we just read books - we previously used the Ordinary Parent's Guide, but gave it up at the beginning of the school year around lesson 118.

For everything else, I piece it together. I don't find it at all difficult. I do use a weekly checklist to make sure we cover every subject area each week.

What are you using for German? I speak German and want to teach it to my kids. So far, I have just been doing my own thing (teaching colors and body parts, etc). I want to have a fun curriculum though!

:iagree:

I piece it together, but have found (after teaching 4) that Abeka Phonics (0nly) is what I prefer to teach reading. Their phonics goes with their books and handwriting (you can get cursive or manuscript--I personally prefer manuscript to start).

So here is what our line up looks like:

Abeka Phonics, Reading, and Handwriting

Apologia Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day (read aloud and narrate)

Nature Study

History Portfolio Jr. which works with SOTW (great for combining at different levels)

MUS Alpha (he skipped Primer)

All About Spelling (reinforces phonics)

Shurley Grammar (jingles only)

Lots of Narration for Read Alouds

Picture Study--Michelangelo

Composer Study--Beethoven

My K-5 loves book work though I don't push at all. I don't necessarily believe that you have to do anything formal other than phonics and basic math in Kindergarten. I am using a Charlotte Mason approach though she didn't believe in formal Kindergarten at all. Lots of Nature Study, read alouds, free play, and basics are all that's needed at that age.

Edited by jvenice

I personally, LOVE MFW K curriculum. I'm using it for the 2nd time this year. It's easy, *almost* open and go (just have to check out a few library books - I go about 3 weeks at a time), and FUN. Great, thorough phonics, plenty of hands-on, songs to sing, games to play, etc.

Plus, it takes very little time day-to-day, so if there is other stuff you WANT to add in, you can - but no guilt about not getting school done if you don't want to or don't have time to add in other stuff.

Would be very "baby-friendly" I think.

:)

Melissa

Others have covered how they are handling the curriculum angle (or 'piecing together'). I'll tell you about our Kindergarten. It is fun. I begin by asking what three activities they would like to do. If they are stumped, I give them some examples. Then, it is up to me to make those three things happen each week after their "work" (gentle math, learning to read, number recognition, handwriting, whatever) is done.

So far, "cooking class" has been the consistent pick amongst my three. My K-er puts on an apron with me and we go into the kitchen to mix up some fun & tasty treat. While we make cookies, or brownies, or pie, or make our own shaped chips with cookie cutters & tortillas, etc., we talk about stuff, laugh, make a mess, and generally have fun. There's usually a little bit of math, some 'how to measure' or early recognition about 'following directions' as well as some hygiene and sometimes science.

Other things my kids have chosen to do during their K-years:

Building Class (Legos, blocks, etc. Focusing on building with only one color or making a solid foundation vs. building as tall as possible, mixing materials in a way that works vs. ways that don't work.)

Dress-Up Class (pretending to be fairies, characters from our favorite books, make-up stories, historical characters, etc.)

Craft Class

Art Class (more drawing/coloring than crafty stuff)

Even if "learning to read" that day is "boring," they do it willingly and happily to get to their fun activity. We only do the fun activity three times per week. We school four days per week.

FWIW, we're easy K-ers with a piece-it-together year. I start the hard stuff in 1st. ;-)

I'm teaching K this year, first year homeschooling. I started out piecing together from different curriculums and found it was too much for me. I didn't feel like there was enough continuity, it was taking a LONG time, both to implement and to plan and so we would occasionally skip subjects. I had also chosen a math program that was just a bad fit, Horizons Math K (it went too slow at first and then WAY too fast).

In December I decided to make major changes. I bought Little Hearts For His Glory, an open and go full curriculum and both dd and I are really enjoying it. It isn't perfect, but it takes so little time, planning is about 10 minutes a day and we can do a full day's lessons in less than 2 hours that I can add extras and not feel overwhelmed (specificlly, we do SOTW with a co-op and add extra art and science 'cause she loves it). I feel she is getting a good Kindergarten year in and we are having fun doing it.

So, I've done it both ways. Maybe if I had more experience (or if I was a different person), piecing together a program would be great, but I am SO happy I changed to a "boxed" curriculum.

I'm piecing mine together. I know I'm going to use a flannel board, SOTW 1, Super Star Speech, and R&S workbooks. I don't know that I'm actually going to use a math program or just do stuff with the flannel board and manipulatives. I also may have her sit in on our Prima Latina lessons.

Technically, I don't have to do anything since she wouldn't be starting kindergarten until the year after since her birthday is in Sept. But we are doing R&S workbooks right now and she is wanting to learn to read RIGHT NOW!!LOL!!

I personally, LOVE MFW K curriculum. I'm using it for the 2nd time this year. It's easy, *almost* open and go (just have to check out a few library books - I go about 3 weeks at a time), and FUN. Great, thorough phonics, plenty of hands-on, songs to sing, games to play, etc.

Plus, it takes very little time day-to-day, so if there is other stuff you WANT to add in, you can - but no guilt about not getting school done if you don't want to or don't have time to add in other stuff.

Would be very "baby-friendly" I think.

:)

Melissa

Hello everyone! This thread is EXACTLY where I am at in planning for next year. I have never used a "boxed" curriculum for K - nor thought I would ever want to. For my son we just used Horizons K Math, Phonics Pathways, and a variety of books from the library both fiction and non as our "K" year. It was pick-up and go on to the next page/lesson. Easy.

With my oldest, we had an Abeka DVD program fiasco our first year hsing her in 4th grade and I just don't want to be bound like that ever again! On the same token, I do like to have laid out plans - if I have time to make them. :blink: For me, without a plan, it seems like pre-k/k days can come and go without any real accomplishment and pushing things on to the next day seems really easy to do.

(Thanks for adding this post Melissa. It has only solidified my plan to use MFW K next fall for my 5 yo & 4 yo together.) After the planning stress I have been dealing with this year (mainly TOG & other subjects with my oldest in HS) the all-in-one MFW seems like an "ahhhhhh" for me. By then we will have another little one arrive and I really don't want them to take a back-burner to my oldest two. I'm not all that creative either, especially in a songy sort of way. The problem is that my kids love hands-on, fun, songy things.

I just think it will make my two most idle children have some structure to the day that I don't have to come up with! But, I'm definitely not scared to skip/drop some things if it seems like overkill.

Please forgive my rambling! I don't know if this was helpful to anyone else but it sure has helped me get my reasons straight - and justify the cost!!

What are you using for German? I speak German and want to teach it to my kids. So far, I have just been doing my own thing (teaching colors and body parts, etc). I want to have a fun curriculum though!

What I'm using doesn't sound like it would apply to your situation- my daughter already speaks German, so we're using a curriculum used in first grade in some schools in Germany. It's called Einsterns Schwester 1, and it's a series of six workbooks for learning to read and write. It goes through the alphabet and various letter combinations one at a time, slowly building up reading and writing skills over the course of the year. We like it, but I could only recommend it for kids who already have near-native competence in German.