Menu

Seriously? 3000 calories?

I'm going to embarrass myself big time here but this is what I ate today.

breakfast = 1 scrambled egg with 1/2 c. spinach, 1 rice cake, 1 tbs. p.b., water

Lunch - burrito (5 in. flour tortilla, 1/2 c. refried beans, 2 slices of tomato, 1/2 c. spinach, 2 slices (about 2 oz.) cheddar cheese), 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce, 1 mini Mr. Goodbar, water

Afternoon snack - 1 chocolate covered pocky, 1/2 c. rice, 1/2 peas & carrots, 2 slices (about 2 oz.) cheddar cheese, water

Dinner - 1/2 c. bok choy/spinach stir fry, 1/2 c. brown rice, 2 slices pork roast (each slice was the size of my palm), water

Snack - 1 hardboiled egg

I realize that I'm not eating cottage cheese and lettuce, but I'm not eating Big Macs and cheesecake either. I entered this into Sparkspeople and it came out to 3000 calories! Is that right? I'm frustrated because I'm not losing weight despite walking 2 miles every night.

(Please be gentle. My self esteem is kind of shaky on this weight loss/eating thing.)

I feel your pain. I've been trying to eat healthier and lose weight, but I've not made much progress. So now, I'm trying to cut out ALL sugar, eat less carbs and no snacking and no seconds. My bathroom scale still says the same thing every morning. It must be broken. Yes, that's it, the scale is broken.

I would guess that there is a difference in "portion size perception". I once heard that one meat/fish portion is considered one serving, the size of your palm. However, you can snack all you want on carrots, beet salad, cucumber, tomatoes, apples, pears...well you get the drift. ;)

It often takes a re-educating and re-training ourselves when making diet changes. I used to eat a lot of bread - love bread, bake my own (still do) but I realized it sits at an unfortunate spot on my anatomy...so I cut carbs and that means bread. Now I am eating no more than one slice of bread per day, either morning or evening, usually in the morning with my egg. At first this seemed so little but now I am perfectly satisfied that I get one slice of bread a day. It was all in my perception of what I should be able / want to be able to eat. :)

I am not saying you should cut out all carbs. I am not for drastic diets but more for a balanced approach but portion size is definitely where the rubber meets the road.

I am so impressed that you are walking so much every day! Yeah, you must have built up some serious stamina!

Hmmm....I'm not a nutritionist and I don't know squat about how correct sparkspeople is.

But. That is a lot of rice if you want to lose weight. Could you cut back on rice and beans tomorrow?

I would also recommend eating either PB or cheese. Both in one day is a lot of fat calories.

If you can stomach grapefruit, 1/2 per day is filling and nutritious.

Can you substitute an apple for the applesauce? Much healthier and more filling.

I would also add the meals to sparkspeople before I eat them. Don't wait until you're done. It's too late then, ya know?

:grouphug::grouphug: I know how hard this road is.:grouphug:

I realize that I'm not eating cottage cheese and lettuce, but I'm not eating Big Macs and cheesecake either. I entered this into Sparkspeople and it came out to 3000 calories! Is that right?

I don't believe that can be 3000 calories. Doesn't seem right.

I don't believe that can be 3000 calories. Doesn't seem right.

:iagree: that doesn't sound right at all. While I agree that the rice and pb/cheese is high in cals, 3000 seems way too high. Sorry I don't have the stamina to enter it in myself to someplace like fatsecret.com. :grouphug: I'm struggling to lose too. I know how hard it is.

But. That is a lot of rice if you want to lose weight. Could you cut back on rice and beans tomorrow?

I would also recommend eating either PB or cheese. Both in one day is a lot of fat calories.

Can you substitute an apple for the applesauce? Much healthier and more filling.

I would also add the meals to sparkspeople before I eat them. Don't wait until you're done. It's too late then, ya know?

Good points! If you are hungry between meals, try snacking on almonds or eat a banana.

I realize that I'm not eating cottage cheese and lettuce, but I'm not eating Big Macs and cheesecake either. I entered this into Sparkspeople and it came out to 3000 calories! Is that right? I'm frustrated because I'm not losing weight despite walking 2 miles every night.

(Please be gentle. My self esteem is kind of shaky on this weight loss/eating thing.)

Just a quick add in my head and I'd say you had around half that. I don't think any more than 1700, unless you put a lot of butter on your rice.

I'm shooting for around 1600 calories. Sigh. I love rice! And cheddar cheese! And peanut butter (though I only had 1 tbs!) But of course there is a reason I'm overweight. . .

I've been slowly building up the walking. I started at 1/2 mile and slowly added on. . .

Do you think you could be okay with 1/2 cup of rice per day? I can very well understand this as I explained in my post above. PB and cheese are protein - that should be fine, almonds and fish may be good too and not necessarily high calorie items.

I don't see how this can be 3000 calories. How many calories in the tortilla? I would guess it's under 2000 but I don't know what a pocky is.

I think weight loss sometimes comes late, I seem to register any weight lost LONG after have been doing appropriate eating/exercise for a while. Just like eating a pint of ice cream doesn't make me immediately gain weight I can't lose it immediately either. (or at least it seems like weight loss is delayed right up to the point I swear it's not working)

Edited by lula

I'm shooting for around 1600 calories. Sigh. I love rice! And cheddar cheese! And peanut butter (though I only had 1 tbs!) But of course there is a reason I'm overweight. . .

I've been slowly building up the walking. I started at 1/2 mile and slowly added on. . .

WTG on the walking!

FWIW, I don't even allow PB in the house anymore. I could eat my weight in that stuff. When the dc want it, I tell them to eat almonds, peanuts or walnuts.

Just a quick add in my head and I'd say you had around half that. I don't think any more than 1700, unless you put a lot of butter on your rice.

Wow! You're good! I need to learn to do that!

I don't see how this can be 3000 calories. How many calories in the tortilla? I would guess it's under 2000 but I don't know what a pocky is.

I think weight loss sometimes comes late, I seem to register any weight lost LONG after have been doing appropriate eating/exercise for a while. Just like eating a pint of ice cream doesn't make me immediately gain weight I can't lose it immediately either. (or at least it seems like weight loss is delayed right up to the point I swear it's not working)

The tortillas were made fresh at our market and don't have a calorie count on the nutrition label.

A pocky is a long Japanese pretzel (about 3 inch long) and is dipped in chocolate. I had one pretzel.

I agree with the others - I don't see this as any more than 2000, max, and probably closer to 1800.

I know that the amount of food that Sparkpeople says I can have if I want to lose weight is a whole lot LESS than I want!!! :glare:

Anne

The tortillas were made fresh at our market and don't have a calorie count on the nutrition label.

A pocky is a long Japanese pretzel (about 3 inch long) and is dipped in chocolate. I had one pretzel.

Here is a Glycemic Index chart. Ideally, you'd want foods lower in GI value for weight loss.

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/glycemicfoodchart.htm

Aww, how frustrating! ((hugs))

That's why I run so much. Because I love to eat!!

FWIW, I bet a lot of your calories came from the cheddar cheese, the peanut butter, and whatever the chocolate thing was. :)

Can you crank up your intake of raw or lightly cooked lo cal veggies? Things like greens, celery, cucumbers, broccoli? There are some very lo cal but very tasty soups out there as well. Things that can fill you up w/o filling you out? Do those for snacks & side dishes as much as possible and it'll help cut calories w/o feeling like you are starving.

I want to be trim, but I want to be able to eat regular food (like you did today) and I want to even be able to eat crazy desserts too! So, I exercise. A lot.

I weigh 159 lb (relevant b/c your weight impacts how many calories you burn for a comparable workout. . . also relevant b/c I was 19 lb heavier 5 mos ago before I started running) & I burned over 800 calories on a 6 mile/70 min run yesterday, over 400 calories on a 3 mile/36 min hill run this morning. Truly, I run so I can eat. . . It would take me a LOT longer than 70 min to burn 800 cal walking. . . and I just don't have the time.

Check out this article about successful long term weight loss. . .

http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/The-Diet-Detective-How-to-Start-a-Successful-Diet-Plan.htm?cmp=17-7-41

Note that 90% of the folks in the long term successful weight loss registry exercise. . . an average of ONE HOUR A DAY.

Hey Jean, just knowing what you eat in a day is a major step in the right direction! So many people have no idea how much or how often they eat.

I am guessing that the computer translated your possibly two ounce amount of pork roast as something closer to six ounces. A dinner sized, three protein exchange serving of meat, poultry or fish is about the size and thickness of a deck of cards, IIRC.

I see you are measuring your rice and peanut butter. Do you have a food scale to weigh your meats and cheeses? An ounce of each of those should be roughly 70 calories. When I was on a calorie restricted diet, weighing and measuring out my portions was extremely helpful for me to learn to recognize what was doable.

I'd also recommend that when you treat yourself (ie, when you've GOT to have that bite of chocolate!), try to go with single ingredien things, like a plain Hershey's kiss, or one with almonds but not the other mixed-up flavors. I am wondering what calories your program assigned to that mini candy bar...maybe that was also counted too highly.

Keep up the good efforts! I need to get back in the weighing and measuring routine myself!

okay, I do sparkpeople too, so I tried entering everything. Here's what I got:

-Spinach = 15-75 cal, depending on whether or not it was cooked

-cooking oils? did you have them with the scrambled eggs or stirfry?

-eggs - 150 cal

-rice cake = depends on brand, say 50 cal?

-pb= 100 cal

-tortilla = about 90 cal?

-beans = 120 cal

-tomato = 10 cal

-cheddar cheese = 457 cal

-applesauce = 50 cal

- mini Mr. Goodbar = 60 cal

-pocky - 70 cal?

-rice - 218 cal

-peas and carrots - 37 cal

-pork - 300-600 cal?

So, the highest I got for you was a bit over 2000 cal, but you'd have to add in any cooking oils (and they are all about 100 cal. per tablespoon).

However, when I was trying to figure out stuff like the pocky and the Mr. Goodbar, I noticed that all of the first choices sparkpeople offers up are really high calorie - like hundreds of calories for each, which I don't think is accurate.

The thing with sparkpeople is that they have the calorie counts they've officially approved, and then there's the ones that are member-entered, which the Goodbar and Pocky ones both were. The member-entered ones are not always accurate - I think with those two, people entered the calories for a serving size, not for the small individual amounts that you actually ate today. My guess is that that's what threw your count off by so many hundred calories.

If it helps, what works for me is to always click the little "see nutritional info" button before I accept a member-entered calorie count, just to make sure it makes sense. I love sparkpeople, but you do have to do a little footwork on the member-entered nutrition info sometimes!

I hope this helps. I think it's awesome that you're working on it and becoming more aware. And just as solidarity: I was over my calorie count today too. :) It's okay. I'm still doing better than I was in the days before I counted at all, and that's the truth. It works. It's just a slow and steady thing. You're fine. Tweak it as you go, and eventually it'll be second nature.

Wow, thank you so much, Britomart! Yes, I think it did calculate things too high. I usually do not enter my food into Sparkspeople because I get so frustrated trying to do so.

I can see from what you entered that the cheddar cheese esp. killed me. Sigh. I love cheddar cheese - the sharper the better. . .

Oils? Scrambled egg was cooked on a skillet sprayed with Pam. Stir-fry had 1 tbs. peanut oil in it (distributed over an amount eaten by 4 people, if that makes a difference).

AuntieM, I do have a food scale. I guess I better dust it off;)

Liz - I do need to choose foods lower in glycemic value.

I understand your pain Jean....thats why every few years I have gone back to WW because I need to get realistic about how much food is reasonable...and it is always much less than I think it should be, or want it to be!

I am doing the No S diet and the not snacking is sometimes easy, sometimes very hard, but it sure is making me enjoy my meals far, far more than I was before.

FWIW, I bet a lot of your calories came <snip> and whatever the chocolate thing was. :)

I don't think so. A regular 1.4 oz box of Pocky is 1 serving. So that's all the sticks in the box. Whole box is 210 calories.

Jean, check the serving size on the box. If it is 1, then you need to divide by the total number of sticks in that box.

Once you get your regular items calorie counts down, the entire process becomes so much easier. :)

Personally, I didn't like Sparkpeople, and went with a different online program later. There are several out there with different levels of accuracy and personality. Find the one that suits you!

I checked how many points that would be on Weight Watchers. (I know you're not doing WW, but I wanted to see how it would work out if I ate that.) I had to estimate some things, but I did it on the conservative (low) side. I wasn't sure what a chocolate covered pocky is, so I didn't include that. It came to 42 points. I get 29 points a day, plus 49 weekly allowance points. So, while I could eat 42 points in a day, I couldn't do it every day. It would be a special occasion.

The biggest points drain was the cheese. 4 slices is 12 points.

When I started ww I realized that although I had been eating healthy.....my healthy foods were not on their list or were too many points. I feel the quality of my foods actually decreased but I lost weights. They are big on tracking points assigned to food and actually measuring out all portions. When you hit your total points for the day....you are done. They recommended foods that were high in dietary fiber that would actually leave you filling full. They caused these filing foods and they work.

Is there a chance that you put in an incorrect measurement? For example, I nearly had a heart attack one day when my totals were super high. I realized, that I had put 1 CUP of eggs instead of 1 egg. ;) I've done it with other things as well and it always shocks me something fierce. 3,000cal does seem too high, even with the cheese and pb.

I have been couting cals forever and I do not see that being 3000 cals at all.

And what kind of cheese are you eating? the slices I eat are regular old cheddar cheese Kraft slices and they are 80 cals a piece. I think a PP had that figured at 457 cals????

I see nothing wrong with what you are eating. The rice isnt a problem...I ate 1 cup every night for weeks in a stir fry and I have lost 60 pounds.

You can eat whatever the heck you want, in the right portions. Try plugging it into caloriecount.com and see what you get. Theres sometimes a HUGE difference in cals in brands, etc.

I am counting calories too and while I think what you ate was healthy, but it wasn't what I could do to lose weight. I have to cut most cheese (which kills me) and I can't seem to add beans to my dishes without making them be too many calories.

Here is my eating log from yesterday:

Breakfast: 1 serving old fashioned oatmeal (150 cal), 1/2 Tbs. Brumle & Brown yogurt margarine (23 cal), 2 Tbs. brown sugar (60), 1/2 banana (50), coffee (0) {total breakfast 263}

Snack: strawberry breakfast bar (140) {total snack 140}

Lunch: Ham sandwich made with 2 slices whole wheat low-calorie Aunt Millie's bread (70 cal), mustard (5 cal), tomato (10 cal), lettuce (nil), and ham (60); a small apple (70 cal); 1 oz mozzarella cheese (80 cal); 1/2 can Progresso low-cal veggie soup (70 cal); carrot sticks (30 cal) {total lunch 395} (I can't always even eat all this, it is a lot of food.)

Snack: 21 g (which is 3/4 of a serving) Almonds (130 cal); 1/2 serving craisins (65 cal); 8 g chocolate chips (35 cal) {snack total 230}

(I mix all this together for a sort of homemade trail mix - it's actually not much quantity wise, so if I am actually hungry, I will normally pop a bag of natural popcorn, spray it with a quick spray of olive oil Pam, salt it and eat the whole bag! It's less than 200 calories to do that)

Dinner: Taco Salad made with - 1 serving tortilla chips crushed (140 cal), 1/8 lb of lean ground beef, rinsed (80 cal), 1/2 oz cheddar (60 cal), lots of lettuce (I don't normally even count the lettuce calories since they are so low), diced tomato (10 cal), sliced black olives (10 cal), sliced jalopenos (5 cal), 1 Tbsp sour cream (60 cal), Salsa (I just pour as much as I want and call it 15 cal since it has so few calories); 8 oz skim milk (80 cal); 1 cup fresh green grapes (90 cal) {total dinner 550}

If I'm still hungry after dinner (no matter what we're having), I just eat as much plain lettuce salad as I can with just a little bit of fat free Italian (which is only 20 cal/Tbsp or a sprinkling of lemon juice).

Yesterday's daily total: 1578 calories

My goal is to be between 1400 and 1600 each day. I've dropped 5 lbs since the 10th of January by keeping at the diet and exercising (aerobic) for 25 minutes 6 days a week. Slow going, but hopefully it will stay off.

:grouphug:Hope that helps you a bit. Good luck with your weight loss, I know it's hard. :grouphug:

I'd be sure to use a measuring cup for the rice, etc....and watch out fro whatever fat is needed to grease a pan, trim all fat off meat, get lo-fat cheese, etc.

Chomping large cut-up apples can be satisfying and filling.

And - you'd be surprised how many calories are in a small flour tortilla :-(

I didn't read the whole thread so sorry if I'm repeating. Have you looked into South Beach? I find it very effective and doable. The basic idea is lots of veggies and lean protein and dairy. We don't have to count calories or fat grams (there is nothing to track). DH and I have been very happy with it. HTH.

:iagree: Thank you! I added it up in my head and came up at around 1500. It's been many years since I carefully counted calories, but I'd hate to think my estimates were so far wrong!

I'm going to embarrass myself big time here but this is what I ate today.

breakfast = 1 scrambled egg with 1/2 c. spinach, 1 rice cake, 1 tbs. p.b., water

Lunch - burrito (5 in. flour tortilla, 1/2 c. refried beans, 2 slices of tomato, 1/2 c. spinach, 2 slices (about 2 oz.) cheddar cheese), 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce, 1 mini Mr. Goodbar, water

Afternoon snack - 1 chocolate covered pocky, 1/2 c. rice, 1/2 peas & carrots, 2 slices (about 2 oz.) cheddar cheese, water

Dinner - 1/2 c. bok choy/spinach stir fry, 1/2 c. brown rice, 2 slices pork roast (each slice was the size of my palm), water

Snack - 1 hardboiled egg

Jean, I realize that this isn't exactly what you asked, but I wanted to mention a couple of things that I've started using that are helping me lose weight. A couple of years ago, I lost about 25 lbs using 5-htp (200-300mg 30 minutes before each meal). It took a long time (I lost about 3/4 lb a week on average), b/c I didn't really "diet." Unfortunately, after I stopped taking 5-htp daily, I gained back about 12-15 of those pounds. :(

In December, I decided to try 5-htp again, but along with a "diet." I added "glucomannan," too. Glucomannan is a fiber pill that makes you feel full quickly, and for a long time. (It's also good for lowering cholesterol, a double benefit for me.)

I take 3 - 875mg pills of glucomannan and 200mg 5-htp about 1/2 hour before each meal. Using those two things and making better snack choices (smaller "unhealthy" snacks, and/or fruit), I've been able to stick with an average of 1200-1500 calories per day w/o feeling hungry or "cheated." This is 300-500 calories less than the number of "maintenance" calories I need daily.

I've also intentionally eaten an erratic number of calories. I eat 1200-1300 most days, but allow myself to increase to 1500-1600 one or two days a week. In theory, this keeps your body from going into plateau/starvation status, and helps you continue to lose weight. It also helps my motivation, b/c I can have some treats once or twice a week.

I've lost 12 lbs since December 4th -- an average of 2 lbs a week. For the first time in my life, I can track calories and (so far, anyway), I've lost weight predictably and reliably. When I've eaten about 3500 calories less than needed, the scale drops a pound. :)

I know how frustrating it is to try so hard w/o results. So, I wanted to offer a couple of ideas that might help.

Hugs,

Lisa

Edited by Lisa in Jax

JMHO - but your list has too many carbs...I would go with a 3 egg omelette w/cheese for starters...

but everyone's body chemistry, health history, etc. is different...I know it can be frustrating.

I had a diet like that just out of college, lots of rice, beans etc., AND I ran 7 miles/day in 50 minutes, every day, and I was STILL GAINING WEIGHT!!:confused: I hadn't heard of sugar-sensitivity or pre-diabetic conditions...

Now I know how to eat, for my body chemistry and history...One Size Fits All does not apply.

Hope that helps.

I'm no expert by any stretch, but I think your carb intake is too high. Tortilla, pretzel, rice, rice cake, peas (peas, while a vegetable, are a starchy veggie and usually count as a carb in diets). Also, you're taking in lot of protein compared to the amount of veggies.

Your tortilla most likely has lard in it, as could your refried beans. Make sure you're buying the fat free refried beans, or the vegetarian ones to avoid the lard in them. Cheese is also high in fat. I'm just trying to see where calories could sneak in unnoticed.

I know you're doing sparkpeople and they count calories, but in WW, all fruits and veggies (with the exception of high-starch veggies, like peas, avocado, potatoes, etc) are "free" of points. So my suggestion would be to stick with lean sources of protein, up the amount of fruits and non-starchy veggies (mostly veggies), cut back on carbs a bit and see what happens. Also, find out the amount of fat in your tortillas, or find out if they use lard or manteca in them.

:grouphug:

please please please try some weight training or some pilates. Pilates totally changed how my weight is distributed. Our bodies get accustomed to certain levels of exercise. You may need to shake things up a bit to bump up your weight loss.

For instance, Jan 7, I started a regimen of pilates. I'm trying to do pilates every day and do 30-40 minutes of cardio at least twice a week. (previously I had been doing the 30 minutes of cardio 4-5 days a week) In the past 2 weeks, I have actually gained 3 pounds. But my dh swears I am loosing weight. My tummy is trimmer, my legs are leaner. Pilates is not a shake around, jiggle, wiggle and sweat kind of workout. But it is very challenging. I love it because it is easier on my old abused joints.

Here are 2 of my favorite workouts for free on exercise TV. The first is only 20 minutes, the second is 30 minutes, but they are both amazing workouts.

http://www.exercisetv.tv/workout-videos/cardio/pilates-power-5464

http://www.exercisetv.tv/workout-videos/pilates-fit-8442

I'm too lazy to multi-quote so I'll just comment on the replies.

• I'll try a different calorie calculator.

On the pocky (pretzel) I just trusted another person's entry on calories. I was too lazy to get up and get the box.:tongue_smilie:

I do take 5-HTP but not at mealtimes. I take it before bed to help me sleep.

I was doing Malibu pilates and weight training but stopped when I got so sick this winter. I need to start those up again.

The refried beans were vegetarian. I don't think I specified that in the calorie calculator.

I checked the tortillas - no lard.

Sigh - more votes for no cheese. Any suggestions for low-fat cheese that tastes good?

I'll have to check into that glucomannan.

Ds is cutting up fruit for breakfast!:)

3000 calories doesn't sound right to me either. I don't eat very much at all. Probably less than half as much as you and my calorie count usually comes out to less than 1000. So even if you were eating twice as much as me that would still be less than 2000. I would say that you either had an input error or that there is a glitch in their program.

You want to feel better? I'm trying to get off of soda--AGAIN--because I tallied it up and I was drinking 1200 calories a day in POP ALONE!!!! ARGH!! I've been eating pretty well and sabotaging myself with that addiction.

Unless that chocolate thing had a ton of calories, your day doesn't seem to come to 3000 calories to me! It is definitely eye-opening, though, when you start to log your food!

I'm

• On the pocky (pretzel) I just trusted another person's entry on calories. I was too lazy to get up and get the box.:tongue_smilie:

Well, figure it out, woman!!!! 'Cause you should never have to give up The Pocky! (I prefer "Men's Pocky.) :lol: My dh just says, "Figures."

Wow, thank you so much, Britomart! Yes, I think it did calculate things too high. I usually do not enter my food into Sparkspeople because I get so frustrated trying to do so.

I can see from what you entered that the cheddar cheese esp. killed me. Sigh. I love cheddar cheese - the sharper the better. . .

Me too, on the cheese. Sharp Tillamuck, mmm . . . anyway, the cheese is that high only if your slices are each a full ounce. They might not be. Like I said, 2000 was the highest I got; it could certainly have been lower, depending on what cut of pork you ate, how it was prepared and how big each slice actually was.

I just have to say: I think it's great to eat food you really like, even if it's cheese. I always figure that my calorie count is like my budget: as long as I cover the basics (with a budget, that's food, lights, housing, etc. - with nutrition, it's protein, carbs, fats, fiber, etc.), I can spend the "blow money" however I want.

For you, that might be cheddar cheese. For me, that'd be buttered popcorn. :) As long as it fits in the budget, who cares? So I don't think you should give up sharp cheddar cheese if that's what you love. Everyone's going to have different favorite foods, and if they're in budget, what does it matter if they have a high calorie-to-volume ratio? Just budget for it, like you would for a pretty silk scarf or a new book by your favorite author. So, yeah, I think cheddar cheese is great. :D

Hmmm....I'm not a nutritionist and I don't know squat about how correct sparkspeople is.

Um, wow. I've never heard anyone call half a grapefruit filling. No wonder I can't lose weight, half a grapefruit is more like a condiment for me :)