Menu

Those of you whose dh is working out of town or is deployed...

have you noticed a pattern where within 24 hours of the male leaving the premise, a major appliance croaks or malfunctions?

I am new to this lifestyle and just want to know if this is going to be the new routine. Every week when he is gone, something else goes too. :tongue_smilie:

When my husband travels, my cat catches a mouse. Never fails. And she either 1). plays with it but lets it loose in the house, so I can't find it but know it is there or 2). decapitates it and shoves the body under my bedroom door.

The galling thing is, when my husband isn't traveling, he works from home. He's almost always here and available to dispose of little mousie corpses. And the dang cat never catches any until he leaves.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your appliances. :001_smile:

When my husband travels, my cat catches a mouse. Never fails. And she either 1). plays with it but lets it loose in the house, so I can't find it but know it is there or 2). decapitates it and shoves the body under my bedroom door.

ACK!!

:lol::lol:

Not appliances, nor mice......SPIDERS :001_huh:

And we don't even have dangerous spiders around here, still... they scare me to death (and then I have to pretend not to be scared...I don't want my girls to become scared too.......yeah, that's working.....not:lol:).

:grouphug:

I have had to dig a huge hole for a sump pump to stop our yard from flooding and deal with exterminating black widows, those were the worst, but it's always something.

Oh, also, one time I ended up fixing something on the car. My neighbor asked the next day where my husband was. I said he still wasn't back. He said, "No, I saw him under the car yesterday." I replied, "No, that was me. I can actually work on cars, I just don't like to." Our neighbor didn't believe me and insisted that my husband was around somewhere. When my husband got back, he told the neighbor that I had indeed fixed the car and that it had been me and not him.

Yes, it is unconventional, but I'd never not believe someone if they told me that they did something like fix the car!

:grouphug:

I have had to dig a huge hole for a sump pump to stop our yard from flooding and deal with exterminating black widows, those were the worst, but it's always something.

Oh, also, one time I ended up fixing something on the car. My neighbor asked the next day where my husband was. I said he still wasn't back. He said, "No, I saw him under the car yesterday." I replied, "No, that was me. I can actually work on cars, I just don't like to." Our neighbor didn't believe me and insisted that my husband was around somewhere. When my husband got back, he told the neighbor that I had indeed fixed the car and that it had been me and not him.

What I noticed was when dh came home for a visit something always came up that caused us not to have a day of peace and quiet. When he came home for Christmas we weren't even home from the airport (Dec 23) and got a call from a realtor about someone wanting to see the house. We had an offer on the 26th. It is a great thing, but we didn't have a relaxing Christmas or time that he was home.

My husband lives and works in another state M-F and since he started doing this, my dd's car has been acting up. It's a pain in the butt because we have to figure out how to manage with just 2 vehicles and 3 of us driving and needing to be places all at the same time. It's a pain.

Yes, it is unconventional, but I'd never not believe someone if they told me that they did something like fix the car!

I was very mad about it at the time!

But, I can see how he would think that...we had lived there for several years and my husband was often out working on the cars and up until that point, I never was.

He had seen me digging the sump pump hole and working on other manual labor type things, though, you would have thought he would have given me the benefit of the doubt here.

We generally don't have broken appliances. However, we seem to end up in the ER shortly after he leaves for completely random illnesses/accidents. His first deployment dd had a subluxation of her vertebrae. Basically, one of her vertebrae in her neck just slipped out of place. No accident associated, no reason at all. The next deployment the same child had an intestinal infection associated with handling reptiles. They thought it was appendicitis, then they thought it was Krohn's. She was hospitalized for a week while they tried to figure out what was wrong because she had never held a lizard or snake or anything weird at that point. Completely random.

We do get car issues when he's gone too. I think it is just a test to see how badly the mechanic can treat a woman with no man to back her up. I hate dealing with sick cars.

ETA: His first deployment was also the rodents dying under the house. There are LOTS of things I can handle, but crawling under the house to retrieve rotting corpses of mice is not something I can handle. Idiscovered who my true friends were that deployment. Anyone who will crawl under the house on their belly to find a stinking dead animal for someone they are not related to is definitely a good friend.

Edited by TXMomof4

We haven't had dramatic appliance break-downs or visits to the ER, but we must always depend on:

1) Strange visitors at night. Eek! We just don't answer the door, and I have the telephone always at my side.

2) At least 1-2 lightbulbs per day will blow out.

3) The cat goes crazy and runs around the house meowing and scratching up all the furniture.

4) My ability to cook vanishes. We end up eating a lot of popcorn, cereal, sandwiches, frozen pizza, chocolate and ice cream.

5) All the batteries in all the kid's toys will go dead. Okay, that's a slight exaggeration ;)

:) We're all in this together! :)

We now live right behind the shop where he works, but before that he would be gone M-T and Th-F. The worst that I remember was the stove caught on fire, and the next day, a pipe upstairs burst and I didn't know until I heard something odd, stepped out of our room and saw water pouring out of the dining room ceiling...that was awesome.

DH took a job 2 hours away and while we figured out the new direction of our life, I became pregnant with number 4. Dr.'s did not have a good reputation where we were going to move to and since I was a high risk pregnancy, I stayed put. For 18 months I was a single Mom 6 days a week.

AFter our 4th child was born, I had one very long day.

I was getting all 4 kids packed up to go a parent teacher conference for our oldest and the dryer over heated requiring a phone call to the fire department. They left a basement window open above the dryer. We had had the siding replaced earlier that year and the screen was ripped. I knew that, but I forgot. I was on the phone in the kitchen that evening with my hubby telling him about my long day with the dryer and fire department and being late for parent teacher conference as a result, when a bird flew out of the basement and pooped all over my kitchen before I could get him to the back door.

It was the 2nd time that scenario had played out due to the dryer, and later figured out what the issue was, but the first time, we had a bat. Yes, a bat flew over my head as was telling DH about day and the concert he had missed.

We found a house and consolidated our household shortly after that. I just couldn't take it anymore.

I am with Mejane and Parrothead. We don't have appliance problems but my dh missed all the huge snowstorms last winter. He also missed the much smaller, but still annoying ice storm and small snowfalls this winter. They just don't seem to happen when he is home and he is home at least 50% of the time. But the bad weather always is happening when he is gone.

I'm a navy spouse and yes this is common. Many of my military spouse friends and I will joke about it when we see each other after they are deployed. We'll see each other while taking the kids to gym and say something like "Well he's be gone for x hours, what's major appliance is broke?"

It never fails.

This last deployment my dryer died and needed to be replaced, the front brakes on my van went to heck, my 12 year old dog got cancer and had to be put down, my A/C went out and it took the landlord 3.5 weeks to fix it. My son jumped up and whacked my dd in the chin, breaking the tops off of her two bottom front teeth iff and shaving pieces off the back of her two front top teeth, the plumping under my sink cracked and I had to redo that, the toilets all started leaking and I had to replace the wax rings under them, and that's all I can actually remember, but I'm sure there was more.

It seemed never ending, but at this point (married 13.5 years, and this was our 6th deployment) I'm used to it.:glare:

have you noticed a pattern where within 24 hours of the male leaving the premise, a major appliance croaks or malfunctions?

I am new to this lifestyle and just want to know if this is going to be the new routine. Every week when he is gone, something else goes too. :tongue_smilie:

Yes, and this pattern never ends. I was born, raised and married military and now my hubby is a traveling consultant and still every time he leaves something happens. :glare:

Murphy's Law right? Every time... EVERY time he leaves for more than a week, something major will happen. Heat will go out in an ice storm, garbage disposal breaks, car gets a flat on the way from dropping him off (literally on the way home!) You name it and it will go wrong... You get used to googling home repairs and muddling your way thru.

After the garbage disposal broke I mentioned it to a neighbor and that evening her husband showed up to help out with tool box in hand... I thanked him for the thought, but I had already fixed it. He just stared at me in shock. He couldn't believe I had already fixed it... the look on his face was priceless!