Menu

Other subjects taught this way--with older books?

woolybear

I'm not sure if that's a good title to this post.No, it's really a bad title, but I couldn't figure out a better one.:001_smile:

Ds loves Grammar Land. We read it and do the worksheets and he enjoys it and is learning grammar. Same with Penrose the Mathematical Cat. We read it and some days do a related page in his math journal. So, other than history, which seems pretty obvious and literature, are there other subjects that can easily be done this way? Particularly with older books like Grammar Land, which really seem to resonate with ds.

Can anyone give me ideas for maybe science or geography to do this way? Actually we already do the Holling books for geography. Looking for other ideas, thoughts.

thank you.

Here's the science page for Yesterday's Classics books:

http://www.yesterdaysclassics.com/catalog/displaycatalog.php?catalog=nature

Beautiful Feet has a geography through literature program using Holling's books and the maps they provide for the program really turn out beautifully!

The thing with what might be considered "classic" geography books is that country names and boundaries may have changed over time so not as many of them are readily usable in today's world. There is an older book, by Strabo, that has at least some parts online, but I would say it's more at a high school level....

We were using Ambleside and have switched to Milestones, which is pretty similar. I will go back and check the lists, though. I love Yesterday's Classics. Thank you for the reminder. I will definitely check out the science page.

Also off to check out Old Fashioned Education.

thank you.

There's Elementary Geography by Charlotte Mason. Also, if you haven't already done so, check out the book lists on Ambleside and Old Fashioned Education. I just started using Ambleside Yr 1 with my DDs and it feels like coming home.

I love this little book. If you want a format that fits 2 pages on one sheet that will have to be cut in half (use a paper cutter) and put into a booklet there is one at AOyear1 loop in the files.