Menu

Would you leave this children home alone?

The ages are 12.5 and 7.5. These boys get along incredibly well. The 12yo is mature for his age. They would be left home alone for 3 hours, 2 afternoons per week. The 12 yo normally stays home alone during this time, while the 7yo has been attending childcare. These two children have stayed at home alone together a few times for periods of time up to two hours.

The home is located in town. There are many neighbors. I would take me up to 15 minutes to get back home if they needed me, depending on traffic.

ETA: *these* children...can't edit post titles! Also, we do not have cable or video games, and they are not permitted to use the internet without asking first. I could block access while I'm out, but they've not given me any cause to distrust them regarding the internet. These two get along famously, the 7yo is my most compliant child. They would be working on independent school work and playing board games together.

Edited by Pretty in Pink

:iagree:

I would think it would be fine.

I think you would be happier (less worried) if you knew a neighbor that was home during that time that they could call in an emergency - so that someone could be there during the 15 minutes you were traveling.

I was going to say the same thing......as long as there is a neighbor nearby, and the doors are kept locked, etc, for "stranger danger"....they will live up to your trust in them!! A few treats and surprises for good behavior would help , too!

Best to You!

But, make sure your kids know what to do in case of a household emergency.

Last fall our toilet tank started leaking and the kids didn't know what to do. They got lots of towels and my oldest grabbed the duct tape! Over the phone, dh explained how to turn off the water supply to the tank. After that incident, we took the kids around the house and told/showed them how to do common, easy stuff like the shut off valves for all the toilets, fuse box, etc.

Jen

It doesn't seem like a black and while 'that' is a terrible idea." I would do it while I ran a quick errand, but I don't think I would do it for 3 hours at a time when I am going to be 15 minutes away. I would probably make other arrangements.

I know everyone will say that 12 year olds babysit, but I personally wouldn't hire a 12 year old on a bet to watch young children. I mean no offense to 12 year --olds. I have two lovely 13 year olds, and I left them occasionally at 12 for a couple of hours. But if I had a schedule in advance, I personally would pay a sitter just for peace of mind, because I would not want a 12 year old responsible for another child. I think.

Okayy. Dh and I talked it over and, with dc's input, decided to enroll ds12 in the next Red Cross babysitting course and go from there.

But, make sure your kids know what to do in case of a household emergency.

Last fall our toilet tank started leaking and the kids didn't know what to do. They got lots of towels and my oldest grabbed the duct tape! Over the phone, dh explained how to turn off the water supply to the tank. After that incident, we took the kids around the house and told/showed them how to do common, easy stuff like the shut off valves for all the toilets, fuse box, etc.

Jen

That made me smile. I am glad your dh was able to talk them through that, and I bet they felt very accomplished for having been able to avert a complete disaster! LOL

Thank you all for your input. You've given us some things to think about.