Menu

Yet another math question!!

rowan25

Ok, background first: DD will be 7 for next school year. Currently she is working in 1st for math, however this year seems to be a bit of a bust. So I'm thinking we'll probably need a redo on 1st. She wants to do math on the computer, so I'm going to supplement with games and such. But I need a curriculum. We've been using MUS and it isn't working, plus she says she's bored and dreads seeing that book come out. :tongue_smilie:

And so.............I have narrowed it down to 3: Math Mammoth, Singapore and Professor B. I've done some searches and read some previous threads, but I would like your opinions specifically on these 3 together.

Which do you like, dislike, hate, etc? Which would you use if you could go back to 1st? Anything you think I should know in advance? :confused:

TIA,

rowan

PS: I'm seeing that they aren't really all that far apart on pricing (MM $32, Prof B $93 and SM $74). So while price is important, it isn't a deal-breaker.

Edited by rowan25

and I'm not familiar with Math Mammoth - so you will get a biased opinion from me :tongue_smilie:

Professor B Math does an exemplary job of teaching the "whys" of math - the inner workings if you will. I was a decent math student, and I FWIW I have a Master's Degree (though not in Math), but after teaching my dc using Professor B Math, I understand the connections between mathematical operations in ways that I never saw before.

What's more important is that my dc understand the connections too.

He uses a unique "story telling" approach to help children not only understand the connections (the theory behind math, if you will) but to effortlessly remember how to approach complex operations as well.

I'll try to search out a previous post for you with a couple of examples of what I mean.

In fairness, I must add a couple of caveats: if you live in a state that requires standardized testing, you will likely find that the sequence for teaching concepts in Professor B is different than the one used in your state. It is a mastery approach, which means that kids spend a long time on each topic before moving on to the next.

You should also consider that Professor B does not emphasise measurement, or teach geometry. I use the Key to . . . series for that, and because they have a solid background in Math, my dc have grasped these concepts relatively easily.

You can try an online subscription for a month or so to see if it's a fit for your dd.

If you decide to use the program, you'll also need a workbook. The CDs each cover three years of Math instruction.

Let me know if you have further questions.

What has made this year a bust in math? Is she not mathy or have you guys had other problems?

I think she has the capacity to be mathy, except that she got it in her head that she isn't good at math. I think it's because it doesn't come as easily as breathing, which is pretty much how easily everything else seems to come to her.

We used MUS Primer two years ago and all was well. She liked it and the blocks and seemed to be learning just fine. Last year we started MUS Alpha and hit a wall. She didn't like using it any more. She was bored with it, zoning out during lessons. I was pushing too much and too hard and she was starting to shut down in everything, so I backed off.

We took a long break, moved and changed curriculum. I tried to go in a more Waldorfy way using a combination of Oak Meadow and A Little Garden Flower, using MUS for extra practice. She is enjoying the story aspect of it and the art aspect, but I don't feel that she is learning anything.

And so, long story short, I'm looking for something more mathy. I think I can add books in as needed, but I need something more substantial in the math department that isn't MUS.

I think she has the capacity to be mathy, except that she got it in her head that she isn't good at math. I think it's because it doesn't come as easily as breathing, which is pretty much how easily everything else seems to come to her.

We used MUS Primer two years ago and all was well. She liked it and the blocks and seemed to be learning just fine. Last year we started MUS Alpha and hit a wall. She didn't like using it any more. She was bored with it, zoning out during lessons. I was pushing too much and too hard and she was starting to shut down in everything, so I backed off.

We took a long break, moved and changed curriculum. I tried to go in a more Waldorfy way using a combination of Oak Meadow and A Little Garden Flower, using MUS for extra practice. She is enjoying the story aspect of it and the art aspect, but I don't feel that she is learning anything.

And so, long story short, I'm looking for something more mathy. I think I can add books in as needed, but I need something more substantial in the math department that isn't MUS.

My dd sounds exactly like yours. We did MUS Primer, and everything was fine. We started Alpha this year and by the time we got to the +8's she was floundering. She tells me she doesn't like MUS. She doesn't complain about anything else we do and is a smart little girl. Everything else she does is on or above grade level. I figured out she's visual spatial. Try researching that and see if it fits your dc. Anyway, we switched to MM and math games. She loves the Math games. She does seem to be doing better, but whether it's MM or the games, the jury is still out. She does tell me she loves Math now and when I ask for more info, she says she loves her math games and wants to stay with MM and never go back to MUS.

My dd sounds exactly like yours. We did MUS Primer, and everything was fine. We started Alpha this year and by the time we got to the +8's she was floundering. She tells me she doesn't like MUS. She doesn't complain about anything else we do and is a smart little girl. Everything else she does is on or above grade level. I figured out she's visual spatial. Try researching that and see if it fits your dc. Anyway, we switched to MM and math games. She loves the Math games. She does seem to be doing better, but whether it's MM or the games, the jury is still out. She does tell me she loves Math now and when I ask for more info, she says she loves her math games and wants to stay with MM and never go back to MUS.

You know, you may have a point. I am soooooooooo auditory sequential!! :lol: I think she may be more of a visual kiddo. sigh. More research needed. Suggestions on math games???:D

You know, you may have a point. I am soooooooooo auditory sequential!! :lol: I think she may be more of a visual kiddo. sigh. More research needed. Suggestions on math games???:D

Professor B is great for auditiory learners (because of the teaching stories), visual learners (because of the online visuals) and kinesthetic learners (because of the way he approaches addition, subtraction. multiplication and division facts.

Hope you find the program that's best for you and your dd :001_smile: