Menu

WWYD - Take the kids or leave them home?

My mom is having major surgery in a month and I really want to be there for her. The only problem is that my parents live about 1000 miles away and the hospital is an additional 400 miles away from my parents house, so we would be staying with my aunt and uncle who live about an hour from the hospital. My mom could be in the hospital for up to 2 weeks. I would like to stay with my parents until we can get my mom out of the hospital and home.

Pros of taking them: My parents really want to see the kids, we could do school "lite" in the hospital waiting room, my dh wouldn't have to worry about finding someone to watch them while he was at work.

Cons of taking them: Most of my attention will be focused on my mom and her recovery, I don't want to hear "I'm bored" every hour, traveling that long with just me and the kids will be tiring.

I'm just not sure what to do. My dh would rather I take them, but he will work with me if I want to go by myself. My preference would be to go by myself, but then I feel selfish. My dd(12) wants to go, and my ds(10) is not sure.

If they stay, my dh can work from home 1 day a week, the kids can stay by themselves one day, and he can take them to the office for the other days. He has a table in his office they can sit at and do their work. Mil might be able to come and stay for a day or two also.

Is there anyone there that can have the kids while you're there?? If so, I might take them. (Aunts or whatever..) If not, I wouldn't. (Is she really in a place where she can enjoy visits??? that'd be the ONLY reason I'd waver on that.) School... I'd call it an emergency "medical leave" type thing and put that on the last of my list..... That wouldn't enter into my thoughts :)

Hoping everything turns out well!!

I think I'd be inclined to take them. Are your aunt and uncle home during the day? Maybe they could stay with them every other day and go with you to the hospital the other days. It would probably be a great boost for your mom to have them there, and it would be good for them to spend some time with their grandparents too. Your dad might be very grateful for the "distraction" as he'll undoubtedly be very worried about your mom. :) At their ages (your kids'), they should do fine. Help them think through what to bring which will keep them busy at times when they don't have anyone's attention. But I can also understand your wanting to go alone to focus your attention on your mom. I hope she has a successful surgery and a quick recovery. :grouphug: