Menu

Front Load washers...Are you happy?

I recently bought a front load HE washer, however I feel with the little water it uses, my clothes dont come out very clean .. I am using HE washing liquid, but not so happy...with the results the HE washer is giving.. how can it clean with so minimal water??

what you all say .. are traditional washers better in getting the clothes clean??:confused:

I have not found that to be true. I have had a front loader now for about 4yrs. Some rules of thumb that have worked for me. Don't overstuff. There should be a space between the top of the pile and the top of the drum. Make sure you use enough soap and not too much soap;). I do use the extra rinse. my washer has a varying level of dirtiness setting, use the dirtiest setting if necessary!

I love my front loader.

I've noticed that the clothes don't get clean if I use too much detergent. I use much less than they recommend -- usually a couple of tablespoons for a normal load. When I use anywhere close to the recommended amount, the clothes don't rinse clean and come out dingy blue (the color of my detergent).

It makes sense that the clothes wouldn't be cleaner with more soap -- the dirt is bound to the soap, and if there's too much soap to rinse out, the dirt can't get spun out.

I have problems sometimes, and sometimes not... I very much agree with leaving a space at the top of the drum and not overstuffing. That is when I notice that the clothes are not as clean! We switched to Tide HE because that seems to be the best for getting our clothes clean.

Also, I found it was a total bear to do cloth diapers in HE washers, no matter what my routine was. :glare:

I HATE our front loader. I curse it every time I use it. I don't think it gets our clothes as clean as our old top loader.

We bought it almost 4 years ago and we paid more than we would have it we would have just stuck with a top loader :(

I have tried different detergents and have also added more/less and still I feel like it's not doing the job it's supposed to do.

Maybe it depends on the brand. Ours is a GE. Oh and it's broken down a few times too :glare:

That said, I have friends who absolutely love their front loader and would never go back....so maybe it just depends on the machine.

I don't like mine much either. I don't think it does any better job than a top loader. I also thought a front loader would hold a lot more than a top loader since it doesn't have the agitator, but it doesn't. I actually have to wash smaller loads, and they take longer.

I enjoy ours. I do have some issues with it not balancing in a timely manner to spin out properly. This happens about once a month and slows me down.

:iagree:This is the one pet peeve I have about our front-loader.

My MIL does Melaeuca and their detergent she sends me works awesome in our HE machine.

I recently bought a front load HE washer, however I feel with the little water it uses, my clothes dont come out very clean .. I am using HE washing liquid, but not so happy...with the results the HE washer is giving.. how can it clean with so minimal water??

what you all say .. are traditional washers better in getting the clothes clean??:confused:

I had one of the first maytag front load washers. I hated it. I did not feel it was the best at getting the clothes clean, well unless you put it on the major cycle that took 1 1/2 hrs to do one load.

When it finally died I almost danced the Hallelujah ho down in the street.:lol::lol:

Umm. I did not replace it with a front loader.

it reeks. if you don't get the clothes out as soon as the cycle is done, they reek, too...

:iagree: although leaving the door open helps somewhat. Wiping out the entire rubber gasket after finishing the last load of the day also helps, but is a hassle.

Dh and I have disliked ours for the 10 years we've had it. We just had a repair person here, to remove a coin from the pump, and he said it could last a couple more DECADES!!! :glare: I'm thankful to not be shelling out money for a new washer, but ...

When we visited DH's parents this fall, their new machines were a "high efficiency" front loader washer and a fancy dryer.

My son's shirt went in with peanut butter on the sleeve, and an hour later, came out with peanut butter still on the sleeve, even with the heavy soil cycle. :glare: I'm missing the "efficiency" part of the equation here - what is the point of using less water if the clothes don't get clean ?

I also hated their dryer. Unless I used the steam cycle and removed everything immediately, the clothes came out looking rumpled, like they had been dumped into a basket and left to sit for a day. By the end of the week, I finally figured out how to do laundry at their house...basically run the speed wash cycle, on hot, three times, but only put soap in the first time. Then the dryer had to be the highest temperature setting and with the steam on. For me to wash and dry three loads of laundry took a full day. :confused:

Our humble top loader may use more water...but I can put three full loads through it in one hour, on the longest cycle time, and they will ALL come out clean. I can have it all dried completely in our gas dryer in two hours. Now that's efficiency ! So yeah, I would never buy a front loader or high efficiency set of machines.

OK, some are happy , some are not.

Ours is GE, and spent a whole lot on FL, thinking it will save on our water bill, but it takes longer to complete the cycle, clothes comes out not so clean ( we use All HE), and yes, that moldy rubber thing.. I wipe under rubber and keep doors open after washing, but Am I skeptical, I still smell something not so fresh....:glare:

Given second option, I won't buy FLs, for now, since I am stuck , will try changing to Tide HE, and putting smaller loads..

Also, I read earlier on these forums how to make laundry detergent at home.. I hope they are not for HE FL washers!

We have a Whirlpool duet. It was one of the first ones. I think they are about 10 years old. I love it. We leave the door open when not in use and clothes never sit in the washer overnight. We use cheap liquid detergent and simply use less. Dh is a carpenter, think dirty and smelly, and we've never had an issue with getting clothes clean. I also think it makes the clothes last longer.

the only repair we've ever done was when the water pump went out.

I've had my Kenmore Elite front loader for 9 months. I love it and can't imagine going back to a top loader. It has made a significant decrease in our water consumption, as well as the number of loads I do per week. It cleans our clothes better than my top loader did. I only use Tide HE powder and no fabric softener. I have yet to have any odor issues, and I leave the door open slightly when it's not in use. I suggest trying different detergents to see if that makes any difference.

Diann

I am in LOVE with our FL machine. :001_smile: It's an LG. And it is AMAZING for cloth diapers. I have found that it gets everything much cleaner than our top loader used to.

I agree with using less detergent. You really only need a couple of TBSPs, at the most. And I have found that I get the best results with powder (specifically biokleen, but YMMV).

I had the hated Whirpool Calypso washer, which was a "top loader that acts like a front loader." It had no agitator and was intended to use less water. I despised, hated, cursed that horrid machine (which was $1,000+, BTW) until I finally got permission from dh to just buy another machine. The machine was only 5 years old, but our clothes were never clean. I had to give up cloth dipes, because they would not come clean no matter what I did. The machine stunk like mold. If I looked into the machine while it washed, there was just NO water in there to speak of, especially washing diapers!

You need water to clean things! I would never buy a FL or anything billed "HE" again, because to me that just means there will be insufficient water to clean anything. :rant:

And that's all I've got to say about that. :tongue_smilie:

I LOVE my front-loader, and have had it for about 5-6 yeasr. I also use All Free and Clear and, like another poster wrote, only use a couple of tablespoons per load. I stuff it as much as it can hold (one full laundry basket), and then let it wash. Never had a problem with clothes not being clean. It works so much better than the top-loader I had before. Very happy with it.

Last year this time I would have said we hated ours. It never seemed to get anything clean. Last Memorial Day we replaced our old machines with new Samsung FL washer and their dryer (super great deal at Sears). Now, I love our machine. I don't know how it does it, but it gets everything clean, including the diapers (no staining either, and just a normal wash with a quick prewash and an extra rinse, with added steam). I use Country Save powdered detergent (1/2 of the scoop that's included) and 1 ounce of Oxiclean Free (basically 1/4 of the scoop). Some Ecover fabric softener in the rinse and everything is clean and soft. (I usually run a warm cycle.)

If I looked into the machine while it washed, there was just NO water in there to speak of, especially washing diapers!

You need water to clean things!

:iagree:

For the initial days, I literally sat in front of machine for entire cycle, just to see how much water did it take.. I was rather horrified to see,it only took water just to wet the clothes.. and clothes kept moving on their own without any additiona water....I thought something was wrong with my machine, called the technician.. and he said, this is how its supposed to work..well, I am not happy...with such minimal water..!

I had an LG that was bought in 2004 (so one of the first ones) I hated that darn thing, it never rinsed the cloth diapers well enough. Luckily I had saved my old top loader (my brother wanted it when we moved out and he moved in) and would drag it over to the wash tubs and hook it up just to wash my diapers.

We had a repairman come out because of the horrible smell (that's before they warned of the build up problems/mold problems that could occur) and it was absolutely disgusting between the inner and outer tub, I had basically been spinning my clothes around in a giant mold tub.

Their customer service was horrible, every repairman hated working on the darn thing and I was very happy when it finally died about a year ago. I now have a Fisher Paykel ecosmart top loader that is awesome. It cleans so much better, spins clothes just as dry as a FL and even after a year of use we've checked between the tubs and there is no build up at all, it's spotless. Last summer I was able to buy the matching Fisher Paykel top load dryer (yep it loads on top just like a washer) and it's amazing. The sheets never come out in a rumpled up wad anymore, and it has a lint cup which only has to be emptied every 10 loads or so. The machine scrapes the lint screen into the cup after every load, it's a great feature.

I love mine. I have an LG steam washer that I bought almost four years ago. At first I was having trouble getting all the stains out, but I now know which settings to use for different stain types. I use All free and clear 3x concentrate and fill to line one. If the load is particularly dirty, I all a tiny amount to the preload divider and set the washer to use more water and a second rinse. My favorite feature is the sanitary cycle. I use it for kitchen towels, bathroom rugs, socks and underwear, sheets, and when I need to wash after someone has the throw-ups. My only complaint is how long it takes for a load to wash. Also, I've never had a moldy smell, though the vinegar I put in the rinse cycle could have something to do with that. Also, my SIL has a LG but it's a lower model than mine, and she didn't like it as much. I think she was adding toothy detergent, though. She used to add a lot to the top loader she previously had.

But, I hate the moldy rubber rim that never comes clean no matter how much I scrub and leave the door open between washes. Ugh!!!!!

I have the same problem and I hate it! Always leave the doors open and I just bought some once/monthly TIDE cleaner specifically for HE washers that is supposed to help with odor. I have a Bosch...got great reviews in Consumer Reports. I guess it is okay...no bells or whistles on mine.

We have a top-loading HE, and even using minimal detergent, our clothes are dingy looking.

I also don't think they get as clean. I think they just want us to believe they will, and they're really only selling water efficiency. To me, it's like rubbing my hands in dirty water but not really rinsing them.

Oh, and I hate the mildew smell.

I've used both, and prefer a top-loader for thoroughly clean clothes (especially whites and diapers). I do miss how well a front-loader spins out water though.

Water is key for washing, so I'm not sure how less water is more efficient. Kind of like those low-flow toilets that require two flushes ...

I also don't think they get as clean. I think they just want us to believe they will, and they're really only selling water efficiency. To me, it's like rubbing my hands in dirty water but not really rinsing them.

Oh, and I hate the mildew smell.

Water is key for washing, so I'm not sure how less water is more efficient. Kind of like those low-flow toilets that require two flushes ...

:iagree::iagree: