Menu

Should I take DH to a HSing convention?

kristinannie

I saw online last night that there is going to be a HS convention in Greenville, SC in March. My parents live there so it would be easy to go and leave my kids with them so my husband and I could go together (without three screaming kids). Anyway, DH is definitely not convinced about HSing. I know this is what God wants for our family. He is onboard (tentatively) for kindergarten, but I am wanting to HS at least until 8th grade...maybe even through high school. Would it help for him to go to the convention? What exactly do they do there? I am mostly excited about the exhibition hall. I would love to see some of the materials before I buy them. I don't want to overwhelm him and make him freak out about HSing, but I really want to go. Will he like the convention? Thanks for the input!

I would definitely take him. Choose seminars that talk about why homeschool, and how much better homeschoolers do than others. There are motivational seminars and how-to seminars that will encourage you both and help him understand how it works.

I think that the unknown is what makes many people hesitate to homeschool. Help him get some facts - he'll be impressed with what he hears.

OMGOODNESS yes. It is an annual event for our family. Our kids go to the kids' program, and we go to the seminars and exhibit hall. We order room service for meals in the hotel (the kids DIG this) and make it to the pool at least once.

This was THE THING that got my husband really involved in both the active teaching of the kids and supporting me completely. I recommend workshops geared toward men, given by men. My philosophy is that "men listen to men," so when they hear a talk given by a respectable (read not wussy) guy who is helping his family and supporting them as they make this journey, it really impacts them. My DH was transformed by the experience and when I suggested going alone this year and leaving them at home he was bummed. LSS, we're all going again for the third year in a row.

My dh was completely on board w/ hs'ing before we got married (it was a contingency of my YES, lol), but we went to a convention together the year we started hs'ing.

He really enjoyed it. We picked our own seminars, so sometimes we went together, sometimes we split up. It helped him to hear some of the ideas from someone other than me. He enjoyed being engaged in the process of thinking about our kids' education, & then we'd spend the evenings discussing theory. He'd ask me much more interesting questions about the methods I'd chosen, etc. I *loved* it, & it wasn't even a very good convention, lol.

And he liked the exhibit hall better than I did, buying his own books for the kids, etc. It was expensive, but one of my favorite memories. He bought a book about a princess & her dad for dd, 3 at the time, & still talks about identifying...oh, I forget. Some kind of bone.

Anyway, sometimes the fact that you've married a good man is so crystal clear. :001_smile:

My DH is on board with HSing and always has been and he LOVES going to the conventions. For him, it is his little insight into my day-to-day schedule, curriculum, etc. We are going to Greenville, too and DH is taking a day off of work to go (he NEVER misses work). It will also allow your DH to see what kind of curriculum is out there and flip through many books.

Make sure you take him to listen to Dr. Carol Reynolds. She was a professor at SMU and gives some delightful tales of the advantages homeschoolers had over her other students once they got to college.

I think that convention especially looks to have many talks that will helpful and interesting for the men. And when I take my dh (our whole family is going), I've noticed he always frees up the checkbook. :001_smile: He gets so on board. That's how I got a mill and tortilla maker all in one evening.

Lisa

I agree with everyone else, if he is willing to go TAKE HIM! My husband has always been on board, but has never gone to a convention (we have one locally every year). Last year I was so bummed that he didn't go because some of the speakers were dad's encouraging dad's! Not to mention he can talk to distributors about the products and see it all in person. It is a great experience. Oh and the social networking is awesome! You can meet a lot of "like minded" people to help reinforce why you are doing what you are doing!

I agree with what everyone has said so far. This is my second year attending a convention and I am taking my DH with me this time. We are leaving our kids at my parents which will make for a fun weekend! I am very excited and like you, my DH is on board for K-5 and then we'll "see" from there. Most of all I want him to help me pick the curriculum because I value his opinion and want him to be a part of it! Good luck!! :)

I would definitely take him. Choose seminars that talk about why homeschool, and how much better homeschoolers do than others. There are motivational seminars and how-to seminars that will encourage you both and help him understand how it works.

I think that the unknown is what makes many people hesitate to homeschool. Help him get some facts - he'll be impressed with what he hears.

:iagree: Great opportunity for him to see, hear, and learn firsthand from some of the best. I would definitely pray over this, make all of the arrangements, and then present the idea to him at a nice, quiet time when the two of you can have a good conversation about it.

I think you all are right and we should go. I just looked at the speakers they are having...WOW! Since this is going to be our first year of HSing, it will be so great to sit in on some of these lectures. Hopefully DH will realize that not only did God call our family to this, but it will actually benefit our kids!

Take him and attend workshops related to WHY homeschooling is the best option first and then go to workshops related to HOW homeschooling (as opposed to mimicking traditional textbook/workbook/standard age grade/scope and sequence schooling) can provide a far better education for children. Our AZ convention posts workshop schedules and topics online before the convention.

Be very careful about the curriculum hall-it can be a "money pit" if you're not there looking for something specific that meets your particular needs. He may panic about the cost. Get him on board first before you spend any money.

I've homeschooled for 11 years now and I insist my husband go with me each year we are not on vacation out of state.

I would take him. My dh went last year (his suggestion) and he's been asking this year if I've signed up for this year yet:001_smile:. Note to self: You *must* sign up before the 31st to get a discount;). You maybe able to go on-line and check the speakers sessions. We can do that with ours.

Good luck to you!

Anyway, sometimes the fact that you've married a good man is so crystal clear. :001_smile:

Amen to that!