Menu

Should I do anything about this stealing?

My sil teaches at a small private school. It's a nice school from what I understand, and is part of a large church. She visited us right before school started and asked if she could look at my curriculum. We spent some time looking over all the things I use and things I don't. She liked a few things and asked if she could bring them to show her principal to see if she could purchase them for her class.

Teachers are not given a particular curriculum to follow, and since there is only one or two classes per grade, the teacher usually just has a budget for her classroom curriculum purchases. She had spent her budget and needed approval for purchases for one more subject. I was told her principal likely wouldn't approve the extra without actually seeing the book in person. Of course I let her borrow the books to show.

I've been asking for the books back and still haven't received them. I finally decided she'd lost them and wouldn't admit it. Last weekend we visited and asked one more time for the books. She walked to her home office to get them and I followed. She pulled the books off a stack of papers. The papers were multiple photocopies of the workbook, and a binder underneath had the name of the teacher text hand written on the spine. I asked her about it and she claimed she didn't get approval to buy the workbooks for her classroom, so she had to "make do." :001_huh:

The books are from a large publishing company who mainly produces for schools. It's not a homeschool focused curriculum. She said she's going to factor this into her budget for next year since she really likes the curriculum. Part of me wants to notify the publisher, but part of me says that these kids would not be learning this if I did. And the publisher will get a sale on this next year. I know it's wrong but for the sake of the kids' education should I just let it go?

Edited by Stacie

Was it reproducible material to start with, or a single-use product she copied to spread to an entire class. If it's a reproducible material that she copied, I would simply give her a handout on copyright law and talk with her and let it drop. If it's non-reproducible (like a BJU math workbook) and she copied it for the entire class, that's a much bigger issue. Make sure you talk with your dh too. You have a mess with family relations if you don't handle it well.

I honestly think a lot of people don't take Copyright laws seriously... We have 2 teachers at our 'Christian" homeschool co-op who teach a whole 12 wk class on copies from a book/workbook

And another Christian Dad from our church who told me to just copy audio Cd's from the library to fill my ds's MPS player. He does this all the time with movies. this is the same Dad who has quoted scripture verse from Proverbs to me about different issues when we were all camping! :glare:

As for your SIL... not sure what to do? Same as me I guess, - I just don't lend these co-op women books and if my kids are in their class I find out what book they are copying from and purchase it. without ever really bringing up why???

It's so hard when we know the right thing to do, but doing it is gonna hurt. :grouphug:

Does the curriculum allow for teacher classroom copies? If so, I would give her the books to use for the entire year (assuming you don't need them this year). This would allow her to legally use the curriculum and she can return both the books and unused copies to you at the end of the year.

Another option would be to talk to the Principal. He/she can't operate a school using illegally copied curriculum. And I suspect it's the school that would be liable, not the teacher. Surely they've got some classroom budget that would be far cheaper than copyright violation fines.

I'm not sure what I'd do. I think, knowing myself, I'd rather surrender the books then report the theft. I'm really conflict averse, though. :)

I'd let it go. But you are right about it being deceptive and probably a copyright infringement (especially since her copies are not just for personal use). She should have asked permission from you (at least) to see if you would allow her to photocopy. I suspect she knew you would object and just delayed return of the books. I don't think you were supposed to have seen all the copies.

You are the owner and the agreement was that she was only going to show the books to her supervisior NOT reproduce them! Under the circumstances, I would not allow her to take anymore of your books.

And another Christian Dad from our church who told me to just copy audio Cd's from the library to fill my ds's MPS player. He does this all the time with movies. this is the same Dad who has quoted scripture verse from Proverbs to me about different issues when we were all camping! :glare:

It does not violate copyright law to load cd's and movies onto your personal mp3 player, as long as you delete them when you return the cd's/movies to the library.

OP, what does your dh think about your sil making illegal copies? I'd be tempted to report her to her principal, but I probably wouldn't if I didn't have my dh's support. It is stealing, and it is wrong, but for some reason people who wouldn't dream of stealing a book from Barnes and Noble or Borders don't have a problem with making illegal copies.

Wow. I guess I take the copyright thing a lot more seriously than the majority. Last Christmas, someone sent us a CD of songs he'd copied from his own personal collection. Dh and I are so conscious of the violation that we bought our own legitimate copies of all the songs (we didn't say anything to this someone about it).

It does not violate copyright law to load cd's and movies onto your personal mp3 player, as long as you delete them when you return the cd's/movies to the library.

This is correct, but our friend boost about it being a way to save money or to avoid the bother of interlibrary loan for things his family wants more than once. :( The topic has come up before but just over the holiday when I was saying I needed to pick up Story of the World Vol1 AGAIN from the library (my ds loves this, and it wasn't in our budget to purchase this year) he went on and on again on how to just upload it to my computer.

just a small rant! sorry!

This is correct, but our friend boost about it being a way to save money or to avoid the bother of interlibrary loan for things his family wants more than once. :( The topic has come up before but just over the holiday when I was saying I needed to pick up Story of the World Vol1 AGAIN from the library (my ds loves this, and it wasn't in our budget to purchase this year) he went on and on again on how to just upload it to my computer.

just a small rant! sorry!

Maybe next time he starts quoting Proverbs at you, you can toss out Eph 4:28, "Let him that stole, steal no more..." :001_smile:

Here's what I suggest you do. Make an investment in your family since she is related to you and just give her the curriculum. That way if the copyright is that she can make copies for the entire class it is hers now. Don't just lend it to her - give it to her. Hopefully it is copyrighted for classroom use.

If you want the curriculum and can't afford to purchase it again perhaps you have something you don't need that you can sell to use the money to purchase it. There is a very active "for sale" forum here you can sell used curriculum on.

It is not worth the conflict it will cause to "turn her in" for this.This could cause a rift in your family for years. People do tend to take sides and some will side with you and some against you.

If you give the curriculum to her I think you should tell her that you are not comfortable about the copyright infringement and that is why you are giving her the books.

Also, I suggest that if you give her the books, do it in the spirit of "I am wanting to be generous and help you out", not with an angry or judgmental attitude. But so that she does not try this again let her know , gently, you do not want her to "need" to make illegal copies so here's the books for her to keep.

If you turn her in to her boss or the publishers you will cause relationship damage for years and years. I don't think it will be a problem just between you and her. It could also cause problems between you and your husband and many, many other people who could potentially hear about this. I really think you will regret it.

Edited by Miss Sherry

Of course let it go. It's not hurting you. You're not the police of the world. It's not your responsibility.

This minor misbehavior is just like any other that is none of our business. (Speeding, not reporting sales tax to your state for the computer you buy online, bartering for anything w/o paying taxes on both ends, etc, etc.)

Wow. I guess I take the copyright thing a lot more seriously than the majority. Last Christmas, someone sent us a CD of songs he'd copied from his own personal collection. Dh and I are so conscious of the violation that we bought our own legitimate copies of all the songs (we didn't say anything to this someone about it).

Most music, especially if bought digitally, has a certain number of copies that are allowed to be distributed onto CDs or mp3 files. It's possible that he was not violating copyright laws.

Most music, especially if bought digitally, has a certain number of copies that are allowed to be distributed onto CDs or mp3 files. It's possible that he was not violating copyright laws.

Well, as far as copyright laws, I think if he was making copies and giving them away to someone else, I think it was a violation. If he had made a copy of a CD for example, to listen to it on his own MP3 player there probably wasn't a copyright violation.

Schools do this all the time and it really bothers me. I know their budgets are tight, but I'm sure there is mismanagement going on, too.

I wouldn't notify anyone. I would've told her then and there that I didn't appreciate her illegally copying my books. She wouldn't get anything more of mine, either.

:iagree: 100%

Our little town school copies whole books to send home with the kids. I seriously doubt there are any permissions acquired either. It is sad that they have so little money that they have to resort to that, but equally sad that they think it's an acceptable choice simply because they are short of funds to purchase them. It sets an incredibly poor example for all involved.