Menu

Can we revisit Latin-Centered Curriculum?

Halcyon

We will transition soon to a hybrid-LCC approach. Drew's book resonates with me on many levels. I did LCC when my older dc were in middle school. We don't pursue Latin past middle school -- as we transition to a heavy Spanish focus.

In the fall, Dd will be 8 and taking online Latin and the homework will be substantial. We will do Latin, Math, Reading, Music daily. We will do writing, US history, science, memory work via CC weekly. We will get English grammar/comp during Essentials at CC every Wed -- but our focus will be Latin grammar.

I focus on skills rather than content at this age (math, languages, violin/piano).

IMHO, kids forget most of random history & science trivia -- but skills are used and built upon daily.

It goes w/o mentioning that Bible is a big part of our life, but not treated as a subject to check off.

We've always taken a WTM approach to homeschooling, but I'm slowly transitioning to a WTM/LCC/TJed mix. :D

Here is what our day looks like.

I try to read a chapter or two from our current read a loud as soon as everyone is awake.

We start with a couple hours of Table Time in the morning where we do math, Latin, and Spelling. We are only doing spelling because oldest DS is dyslexic and he really needs daily work on spelling.

Then we gather in the living room, get comfy and I read aloud to them while they play with Legos, or another quiet activity. I alternate History and Literature readings. They give me a narration which I type up on the computer and print out periodically for their notebooks. A couple days a week I create a copywork sheet on the computer based on their narrations. We also add figures to our timeline as we come to them.

They also have 30 minutes of independent study in which they pick a topic and research it. I encourage one topic for each week. They can read about it, and choose a project or art activity. They almost always do an art project or science experiment.

We have 30 minutes of both quiet reading and practicing their instruments.

We started an afternoon Tea where we listen to and discuss classical music or opera, and also work on poetry memorization.

Finally, every evening we do a family bible study before bed.

We did a lot of grammar first semester, but I'm trying to give myself permission to stop that since we are doing Latin. We'll see.:lol:

So far I really like how the day feels more relaxed, yet fuller. I'm trying to encourage more independent learning-- as recommended in a TJed, and set the stage for more advanced levels of study in the next couple years.

I found my notes! I chose 1 week each from the 3rd year of LCC and AO to compare.

To me, LCC is simple but gets it done. I LOVE simple. Ambleside has great selections, but it's more to juggle. So I'm working to make AO fit LCC's framework, whatever doesn't fit will be informally read or even *gasp* skipped.

HTH someone!

Amy

Just quoting the above as a reminder that I asked about mtcougar832's AO/LCC comparison...

Thank you, Amy. I have my dry-erase board out and have written columns for subject matter lists followed by materials I have on hand. Wow! This has streamlined my daily planning. I am very thankful for your help and all the others who have posted their advice on this thread. We were working hard on skills-based areas in the fall, but I got away from that in an effort to incorporate many of my WTM and AO things I wanted to cover. I think I have found a good mix, but now have managed a better way to get them covered to my satisfaction. Hopefully we can start this next week with a new schedule and a bit of breathing room.

I was very interested in LCC and especially liked the idea of focusing on a few things but I didn't want to concentrate on Latin to the degree they do. After having the year half-way done I am inclined to agree more w/ LCC , WTM and CM on Science and just doing Nature Study and informal study which is what I am doing now. I tried to do Latin this year but we need to do more phonics first as it was just confusing. I would also like to do some modern languages at some point. I do like the idea of really focusing on the lit and the analysis as they get older and will likely look to MP for some of their materials, or see what I can find elsewhere similar.

Just quoting the above as a reminder that I asked about mtcougar832's AO/LCC comparison...

Thank you, Amy. I have my dry-erase board out and have written columns for subject matter lists followed by materials I have on hand. Wow! This has streamlined my daily planning. I am very thankful for your help and all the others who have posted their advice on this thread. We were working hard on skills-based areas in the fall, but I got away from that in an effort to incorporate many of my WTM and AO things I wanted to cover. I think I have found a good mix, but now have managed a better way to get them covered to my satisfaction. Hopefully we can start this next week with a new schedule and a bit of breathing room.

Glad it helped. I'll have to tell DH that I wasn't fiddling around, LOL. I love the family reading time, even though I want to be more consistent. Instead of always asking for computer games and movies, my kids enjoy the stories and my 4yo will even request them :svengo:. It's freeing though - I just have a list of books to get through sometime. I don't have to read X chapters on X date.

I was very interested in LCC and especially liked the idea of focusing on a few things but I didn't want to concentrate on Latin to the degree they do. After having the year half-way done I am inclined to agree more w/ LCC , WTM and CM on Science and just doing Nature Study and informal study which is what I am doing now. I tried to do Latin this year but we need to do more phonics first as it was just confusing. I would also like to do some modern languages at some point. I do like the idea of really focusing on the lit and the analysis as they get older and will likely look to MP for some of their materials, or see what I can find elsewhere similar.

Don't feel bad about finishing phonics. If you read at Memoria Press, they talk about starting centered on phonics (learning to read) and after that switching to Latin (which will then cover your language arts needs). But I want to add that doing GSWL (10 translations/lesson, 1 new concept or word/lesson) even at a slower pace has helped my son. He tended to gloss over everything. SWR slowed him down on words and GSWL did the same for sentences. (I generally read the Latin to him, he usually writes 3 or so translations with the others being oral. I'll run through Latin phonograms after GSWL and before our next course.) Thought I'd throw that out there for you.

In the second book he delays the early Latin start so that phonics can be better established first.

Don't feel bad about finishing phonics. If you read at Memoria Press, they talk about starting centered on phonics (learning to read) and after that switching to Latin (which will then cover your language arts needs). But I want to add that doing GSWL (10 translations/lesson, 1 new concept or word/lesson) even at a slower pace has helped my son. He tended to gloss over everything. SWR slowed him down on words and GSWL did the same for sentences. (I generally read the Latin to him, he usually writes 3 or so translations with the others being oral. I'll run through Latin phonograms after GSWL and before our next course.) Thought I'd throw that out there for you.

In the second book he delays the early Latin start so that phonics can be better established first.

Good to know. I need to go back and read it some again, along w/ WTM. I like the materials we are using, just as to what to focus on- I *think* we are getting it lined out here, I am sure it will continue to evolve as he grows and I get experience.