Menu

How do you store your games?

We are swimming in games. We love games. Games are adding a lot to our school day, and we are amassing quite a collection. But we are very short on storage.

We currently have them stored in a chest-style coffee table. It's not a bad system - we have them on their sides, rather than stacking them. But it's difficult to get to some of the games due to the shape of the chest (they tend to stay out of sight out of mind), and if there are any drinks spilled on the chest... We have to pull everything out and dry them off (if the drinks spill down the cracks where the chest opens)... I have done this one too many times!

A game closet would be ideal - but we don't have that option.

Any other ideas?

I have a few cabinets that we use to store bins of playmobil, and could move the games to the cabinet... but then we are left with figuring out where to put the playmobil! Aaaaahhhh, it never ends.

My BIL and SIL have an awesome deep cabinet at their condo for the board games.

Our board games are in a trunk, on a shelf, on top of the freezer, and scattered wherever my 5-year-old leaves them! I would love to have a cabinet like my SILs, but my husband doesn't make as much money as she does. :tongue_smilie: I'm off to check out the threads a PP linked to so I can find a better system.

We have a small linen closet, which I barely use for linens, which holds the games. Instead of housing the linens there, I put one shelf of towels there, one shelf of blankets. Then, in our bedroom, we have a trunk/storage bin with extra blankets for winter. We throw a decorative towel over that and use it for our night stand.

In the bathroom cabinet I put extra towels (or hanging on the towel rack in each boys' bathroom)(we are blessed with lots of bathrooms).

I also have some games, mostly those that the 5 yr old uses, in the kitchen under-the-sink cabinets.

When they've been used lately, they wind up on top of the bookshelf downstairs (or slid underneath the bookshelf).

Would the playmobile work better in the trunk than the games do? If so, I'd switch those around, as you suggested.

We probably don't have as many games as you do. The ones we do have are stored on their side on the top shelf of one of our bookcases. I need them to be up high where the little ones can't get into them and bend the cards, lose the pieces, etc. They are on their side so that I can easily pull down the game I need without having to dig through a stack.

I'm short on storage space right now. One because we live in a small place and two because the youngest has become mobile. I've had to move nearly everything out of the lower three feet of the living room. Books, games, movies, and anything else. He will chew on them all. As a result, my bedroom is starting to look like a picked over yard sale.

Ours have taken over 7/8 of the linen closet. The linens migrated to my bedroom closet. In addition, there are games in several of the cubbies in our lage cubby shelves...but many game boxes are too large to fit there. There are yet more in the cupboard of the "microwave stand" in DD's room that has her gerbil's cage on top. I really need to come up with better game storage, too! On sides wouldn't work with how many of our games have beaten up boxes because they wound up on the floor, esp. in DD's room, and smashed up. I need to go through and mend boxes with packing tape again, too. And with the baby, we'll need to put them behind cupboard doors and/or up high...sigh.

Thanks for all the replies, and for the honesty. :)

After reading everything - and the links provided as well (thank you for those!) - I have a plan.

We are going to try the bookshelf method for the square games, in the hope that this will keep them semi-organized while in plain sight. I am relieved to have found an option other than the Ziploc bag method - that was not appealing, but I was considering it for space reasons. I'll do some rearranging, and maybe this will solve part of the problem.

We added extra shelving to our linen closet so t hat things not used often could move up top, and we could store some of our games on those shelves. Is there a possibility you could add a shelf above closet doors to store lesser used things and move the games to newly emptied spaces?