Menu

considering a History of Science course, perhaps, or another alternative....

I now have the thumbs up from two friends who are college admission counselors and from my buddy who is a college chemistry professor, to "load" all my son's lab science into his final two years, where he can take those classes at the community college. (We are fortunate to have a strong CC program, and we know so many of the instructors, we were able to hand-pick my oldest son's courses. It was a good experience for him.) So he would take two quarters each of biology, chemistry and physics in his last two years. This way I don't have to a) waste time doing lab science badly at home, and b) risk blowing up my kitchen or any other part of my home and / or cut up any dead animals.

So! This year we're doing a combination of life science and natural history (using both Oak Meadow middle school life science and MODG natural history). I hadn't decided whether to count this year as 8th grade or 9th, but now I'm leaning toward 8th. Here are some of the options I'm considering for 9th & 10th:

Perhaps two years of Integrated Science, per this post: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2352758&postcount=17 using a text and the TC Joy of Science lectures. This would be a "safe" route.

Or. We could do one year of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology Home Study Course in Bird Biology, which son's been begging to do this since he was about eight: http://www.birds.cornell.edu/homestudy and then one year of something else delightful.

Something else delightful is where I'm stuck. I would love to read books like Uncle Tungsten: Memories of a Chemical Boyhood and My Family and Other Animals and the new collection of essays edited by Bill Bryson about the Royal Society, Seeing Further. I heard E.O. Wilson speak a year or so ago (fantastic!), but have never read his work, and I'd love to. I'm also waiting for my copy of Science Matters to come in on inter-library loan, and that looks promising. There are so many wonderful resources. We also live on Puget Sound, and have access to many incredible natural resources, beaches, etc. Because my boys are so far apart in age, and because I work outside the home, we never did do many field trips. But now that there is just one at home, more outside adventures are possible.

But, here's where I need your help: I need to figure out an organizing theme, and then a title for this course. My goal is to build a vocabulary, a background, so that when my son hits his lab science courses, he's not coming in cold.

If you could design your own dream course along these lines, how would you approach it? Have any of you done something like this?

I am always so grateful for your input and wisdom. Thank you in advance.

Edited by Nicole M

I'd probably focus at least partly on primary works. For physics, there's a book with a bunch of translations by Stephen Hawking of seminal early works. Of course, I'd follow that up with A Brief History of Time, and then, just because, The Tao of Physics. Also, A Brief History of Nearly Everything (I may be a bit off on the title of that one). For life science, the first things that spring to mind are Darwin, selections from Stephen Gould's essays, and Silent Spring by Rachel Carson. A few select papers, such as Watson and Crick's original discussion of DNA, and a book that explains Mendelian genetics (Cats Are Not Peas is my personal favorite) would go along as well.

I'd also go with anything he's very interested in (such as that ornithology course you mentioned), especially if it has a hands-on component. A basic course on scientific method and philosophy of science would also be a good idea. Having a grounding in where all the background knowledge came from will help provide context for the lab courses. All scientists stand on the shoulders of giants, and I often think the approach in K-12 of just doling out lots of facts alongside hands-on experimentation for the purpose of pat demonstration of said facts can miss the point.

Well, your playing it safe route isn't bad. We are using the text you linked and the Joy of Science lectures sporadically and we enjoy them both. Hopefully, Jackie will pop in here soon. She had some great ideas a while back for science for high school using the Boorstin books. I find more and more that science does not line up into neat categories for us like it is "supposed to." What is the young man interested in besides the birds?

A few opening thoughts (under the assumption that more will follow):

First, I love the ornithology idea! Not surprising from the shore bird/raptor rehab volunteer! I had thought that maybe we would go this route, but, given our regular volunteer work with the birds, I think my son viewed it as overkill.

How about ecology or environmental science? You could do some great field trips, enjoy good books and watch lots of Teaching Company lectures (;)) under either umbrella. My son did a quarter credit class under the label "Climate" that included Wolfson's course on Climate Change and a backpacking trip in the NC mountains where the participants collected weather data for the college which sponsored the week long session.

I think that reading some of classic works in ecology (like Carson or Leopold) is a worthwhile venture. I also highly recommend anything by Sue Hubble.

Hey--why not an apiary course?

Must go but I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Jane

I'm doing CC prep science this year. The object is to try to prepare my son for CC chem and physics in 11th and 12th. I am really, really nervous about his ability to take CC science and do well. He has to do well because he wants to go to engineering school. Ug. I have no idea if this is going to work. I'll let you know when he is through his sophomore engineering classes.

I took a five-pronged approach. I decided that to succeed, my son needed to be able to:

Design an experiment and keep a lab notebook

Read science books

Write about science

Know something about what is currently being investigated in science

Outline

(I also am trying to make sure he does the word problems in math, learns to deal with a textbook, and has some idea of how to use some of the equipment. I feel like I am doing very badly with these things.)

So what does a week look like?

He reads books like A Short History of Nearly Everything on the weekends (something having to do with natural history). During the week, if he isn't doing a paper for literature or isn't doing a learn-how-to-write paper, he investigates something on the internet and writes about it. This is going to switch to persuasive papers when he gets back from Japan. Writing isn't his strong point or I would skip this step and focus on research strategies and converting his lab notebook into lab reports and scientific papers. He designs an experiment, his father critiques it, and then he does it. These haven't been anything elaborate, another thing that worries me. He finds and reads an article in a magazine or online. And he spends 40 minutes three times a week outlining either his reading or the bio book I found at the swop shop at the dump. It probably is much more simplistic than what you are looking for. I think it could be a good way to approach science if I were a scientist and could do a better job of helping him to learn to use equipment (informally) and design experiments, and if he read faster so he could get through more books, including some of the scientific greats.

-nan

Edited by Nan in Mass

An emphatic "yes" to Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. S. took that for her science course last year and loved it. I'll see if she has any of the paperwork to send you if you are interested. I also have the audio if you need it.

:bigear:to hear other suggestions. Off to research Ravin and Jane's suggestions.

Nan, one of these days you are going to let us know that the young man was more than prepared for his career choice and his life in general. I am convinced of that it.:D

Yes please. I am interested. Audio would be nice for me. I do better with that format these days. I looked but could only find abridged versions of the audio. Is it unabridged or abridged? At this point, having tried to get to it for 6 months, I'm about ready to take anything I can get.

: )

Nan

We are really enjoying Hakim's Story of Science. There are many hands-on things you can do to enrich or expand it. . . (We use the Quest guides.)

You could likely get a volume at the library to preview it if you aren't sure it's right for you. I get a lot out of it as a MS level scientist; I don't think it is too babyish. . .

Yes please. I am interested. Audio would be nice for me. I do better with that format these days. I looked but could only find abridged versions of the audio. Is it unabridged or abridged? At this point, having tried to get to it for 6 months, I'm about ready to take anything I can get.

: )

Nan

Usually the CDs are abridged and you have to download to get an unabridged version -- although you can get an unabridged CD in Britain. Why? I have no clue.

If your son does the Ornithology course, I highly recommend Yale's Manual of Ornithology: Avian Structure & Function as a supplement. Unfortunately the "Look Inside" feature doesn't let you see the illustrations, but they're fantastic.

For the "delightful" course, the simplest thing would probably be to give it a generic title on the transcript, like History of Science, choose one overview (like Bryson), and then let your son read books on whatever topics strike his fancy. There are sooo many different directions you can go with it, I think it really depends on your son's interests. Many of the books and TC courses on history of science focus more on physical sciences, but there are some interesting resources on the development of biology, geology, and natural history. If your son's interests tend more towards the natural sciences, he could do History of Natural Science, or just call it Natural History and combine readings in natural history (starting with Pliny's Natural History — hilarious!) with field studies.

I made some of my Amazon wishlists public, if you want to peruse them for ideas:

History of Science & Technology

Science (this is a totally random grab-bag of things that have looked interesting, from textbooks to trade books, lab kits, etc. But there are some interesting and quirky books in there if you wade through it)

Natural History (this only has a few books in it, but I have lots on my shelves. If you think you might want to go in this direction, let me know and I'll list what I have.)

Jackie

Nicole,

I went back to read your original post and realized that, as usual, I missed the mark. You were talking about history of science initially whereas I began obsessing over natural history and ecology.

And I so enjoy history of science! And history of mathematics as well.

A charming book that would fit into your history of science course is Faraday's Chemical History of a Candle which is a compilation of lectures that he gave to young people at the Royal Society. There is a version, I have been told, that has modern day suggested experiments added to the lectures. Of course, you would want to update the material at the end, adding some things on plasma.

You might want to divide your course into physical and life science, choosing some classic books from each. The former could include Aristotle as well as Faraday; the latter could include Darwin and E.O. Wilson (who is indeed a wonderful speaker to see in real life!) A study of Leeuwenhoek would be fascinating--this would cover everything from microbiology to the physics used in the lens he created for his early microscopes. This guy even did a study of coffee!

So many fun possibilities!

Nicole,

A charming book that would fit into your history of science course is Faraday's Chemical History of a Candle which is a compilation of lectures that he gave to young people at the Royal Society. There is a version, I have been told, that has modern day suggested experiments added to the lectures. Of course, you would want to update the material at the end, adding some things on plasma.

You might want to divide your course into physical and life science, choosing some classic books from each. The former could include Aristotle as well as Faraday; the latter could include Darwin and E.O. Wilson (who is indeed a wonderful speaker to see in real life!) A study of Leeuwenhoek would be fascinating--this would cover everything from microbiology to the physics used in the lens he created for his early microscopes. This guy even did a study of coffee!

So many fun possibilities!

Jane! That bold bit cracked me up, it was so cute. You've mistaken me for someone who knows anything at all about any of this, and that's just so adorable. Plasma? Like in Ghostbusters? Don't cross the streams!

So many good ideas here, everyone! Pay dirt, as usual. Bravo!

I'm running to another meeting, but wanted to thank you all for your thoughtful responses. More later.

Jane! That bold bit cracked me up, it was so cute. You've mistaken me for someone who knows anything at all about any of this, and that's just so adorable. Plasma? Like in Ghostbusters? Don't cross the streams!

Science geek, reporting for duty!

Faraday in his lectures covers what were then the three states of matter: solids, liquids and gases. Plasma entered the knowledge stream later and is now considered the fourth state.

But wait--there is a fifth state which I can neither remember nor understand: Bose-Einstein condensates. Quantum physics is beyond my wee brain. Which is why I recommend studying birds or raising bees!

Hello there, Nicole,

Given that you plan to have your son do the very traditional Biology, Chemistry, and Physics in his junior and senior years, I would vote for going with his interests in 9th and/or 10th grades. (The course title could simply be Ornithology in that case.) I'll have to admit that your History of Science plan sounds enticing to me.

My daughter did Physical Science and Chemistry at home in 9th and 10th grades. When she started taking some classes at the community college in 11th grade, I insisted on a science but left the choice to her. She ended up taking a full year of various Geology classes in 11th grade plus a term of Environmental Science in 12th grade. Her non-traditional science choices did not preclude her acceptances at a number of fine colleges (including the one at which you work!). And, she's now pursuing a minor in Geology. Perhaps you have an ornithologist in the wings. (I can never resist a pun.)

Regards,

Kareni

First, I want to apologize for taking so long in getting back to you with my thanks for your wonderful suggestions. Last week was the first week of classes at the college where I work, and it was a brutal re-entry this time. I have been thinking about this, though, all week, in the midst of the chaos, and was happy to have time tonight to sit down and reread the entire thread.

Jane, I really think ecology and history of natural science might be more up our alley than straight up history of science, so it's like you read my mind. We have two friends who are beekeepers, and we love hearing their reports, so the apiary course sounds enticing. I hadn't thought about that as an option. It dawned on me that we don't have to chain ourselves to books or the house during these next two years. We could do lots of outside projects, and / or take outside courses. I'm looking into what is offered around town.

I have finally found a copy of the text for the Cornell Ornithology course and have ordered it on inter-library loan. Sometimes I have found that trying to make a course out of my boys' interests or passions is barking up the wrong tree, and takes the fun out of it. So I thought I'd look through the text with my son to see what we think before deciding.

Plasma. Jackie, thank you for the link! I had to listen to that computer voice several times before I got it, but finally I did! Thank you. Ravin, you also offered some great suggestions. Thank you.

Lisa & Nan, you have me excited about Bryson's book. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a used copy, but would love to borrow your audio version, Lisa, if you have it on CD. I think I have a few books to return to you. (Or did we sort that out?) And I was going to send you that Nathaniel Hawthorn audio, too. Nan, thank you for sharing how you've set goals for your courses. That is helpful.

Kareni. I love your puns. And thanks for the encouragement.

Alphabet Pam recommended an interesting little book called Darwin's Orchestra.

Arranged as "An Almanac of Nature In History and the Arts," this collection contains a small essay of several hundred words for each day of the year. The essays tend to focus on obscure, but highly entertaining, scientific events. If nothing else, this book provides enormous fodder for eccentric conversation around the water cooler, guaranteeing a steady flow of odd yet factual material. Deadly hail? The Loch Ness Monster? The family tree of Bugs Bunny? There's all that and 363 other essays to amuse and confound.

I ordered a used copy today for a dollar! Some of you might be interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Darwins-Orchestra-Almanac-History-Reference/dp/0805042202/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1296014767&sr=8-1

I also found out today that the same author has a book coming out in June called THE STORY OF CHARLOTTE'S WEB: E. B. White's Eccentric Life in Nature and the Birth of an American Classic. I would share more about this, but don't have much information. Keep your eyes peeled.

Again, thank you all for your help.