Menu

Question about AAS

kristinannie

I just finished level 1 with my 6 year old K'er who is reading well, but my 4th grader also used it at the beginning of the school year for some remedial spelling help. He moved through it, as well as level 2, very quickly, and just started level three. I think it is very versatile as far as age-appropriateness goes.

HTH

Michelle

For us, dd was 9 (now 11) and mid way through Book 5.

Ds was 7(now 9) and is midway through Book 4.

Book 1 was perfect for ds at age 7. He had done a few Explode the Code books prior to discovering AAS, but it was pretty much a perfect fit for him from the beginning.

Level 1 was too easy for dd at age 9, but she had some gaps that AAS filled perfectly.

AAS is not grade based. Really, you need to assess where your child is. How old is your child? Is he/she reading fairly fluently? Is he/she showing great interest in writing and asking how to spell things? Do you have an older child you are trying to remediate or a young child just starting on spelling?

For my young kids I usually start them sometime in first grade. If you don't have a fairly fluent reader I wouldn't pursue spelling until they are though.

My oldest ds started AAS in the 2nd half of 2nd grade. He just did the end of Level 1 and then onto Level 2. He's now in Level 6 in 4th grade.

I started my twins once they were finished with HOP, meaning they were reading well. They are now on level 2, technically 2nd grade although I plan to get through 2 and 3 this year. I think it helps to be reading well before introducing all the different sounds the letters can make, I agree with SWB on that. :)

This program looks awesome. Thanks to everyone who has recommended this. Which grade do you start using level 1?

I wish I would have had this when my kids were in 1st or 2nd grade! I used Level 1 for my kids remedially when they were 9 & 11, but they only needed about 2 or 3 weeks in that level--basically just to fill in some gaps. They knew how to spell the easy words at that level, but not some of the rules and concepts that also apply to longer and harder words (when to use c vs. k, the additional sounds of some of the letters--they just knew short & long vowels but not the other sounds, etc...). They got through all of 1 and 2, and part of 3 that first year. A younger student might spend a year on level 1--just depends on the child.

A couple of articles that might interest you:

AAS Levels are not grade levels

Readiness

HTH! Merry :-)