Menu

I'm a poor speller, but I gotta teach it anyway...

Ritsumei

And I'm really struggling to know the best way. Fortunately, I have some time to agonize over this decision!

So, my Amazon wishlist for next year has Spelling Workout A on it. But then I was reading some glowing reviews on AAS, so I looked them up. But when I look at their sample lesson, my eyes start to cross and I get this awful feeling in my stomach... and I'll bet SW does the same, cuz looking at all the rules for how to make "c" say its various sounds: BLEH!!

But this stuff needs to be taught...

Suggestions? Words of comfort? Am I just gonna have to grin & bear it?

And I'm really struggling to know the best way. Fortunately, I have some time to agonize over this decision!

So, my Amazon wishlist for next year has Spelling Workout A on it. But then I was reading some glowing reviews on AAS, so I looked them up. But when I look at their sample lesson, my eyes start to cross and I get this awful feeling in my stomach... and I'll bet SW does the same, cuz looking at all the rules for how to make "c" say its various sounds: BLEH!!

But this stuff needs to be taught...

Suggestions? Words of comfort? Am I just gonna have to grin & bear it?

Get AAS level 1

Its goes very easy, gentle and painless. My 5 year old is finishing level 1 very easily.

PS. Letter C says /s/ before i, e, y <wink, wink>

AAS holds your hand through the process. It is completely scripted. The cards have the answers for you to read. And you'll learn the rules right alongside your child!

We only started it yesterday, after trying two other programs and my son wanting to know "why" and I was not able to answer. Now I'm learning with him, and it starts out easy. You can totally do it.

I am teaching spelling for the first time, and I am also a horrible speller!

I am using The phonics Road. I am learning all sorts of rules I was never taught! I cannot get enough, and I am enjoying learning with my DD. I also love that all the instruction is given to me via DVD so that I know exactly how and why a word is spelled in that way, and exactly how to teach this to my daughter. I am excited that she is doing to well and will not have to be humiliated by her spelling like I have been on so many occasions!

Well, I'm a good speller, but I was at a loss how to help my kids - two of whom are not good spellers - because I'm a natural speller. I don't know the rules, or I didn't, I'm learning them now!

AAS has been wonderful. If you can read, you can teach spelling with this method. (One caveat - I've had to adapt it for our more British spelling, but I've posted all that over at the Chatterbee and others have chipped in.) If your kid asks a curly question, you can always post it over at the Chatterbee and get a response there.

Min