Menu

WWYD Paypal/Ebay

WWYD? Send it back, or keep it?  

1. 1. WWYD? Send it back, or keep it?

• Send it back-if they pay shipping
    • Keep it. Do not send payment.
    • Keep it. Send payment.
    • Other?

Dec 4 I ordered an item on Ebay from the UK (I am in NW USA). The seller was a storefront and had great ratings. The item was about $70 and a present for ds16 for Christmas. I had no communication from them so the week before Christmas I emailed them a note asking about the item. They said they hadn't received my payment. I sent them the confirmation numbers from Ebay/PayPal showing I paid on the day I ordered it. They again said they didn't receive payment.

Dec 23 I opened up a claim with Ebay....then the seller sent me an email saying they found the payment and would ship the item (I still wanted the item).

Dec 29 Seller sent me an email saying they shipped it that day.

The item has not arrived. I know there is snow and other issues that affect the mail, esp international, so I wasn't too worried. The seller says it usually takes 7-14 days, but possibly up to a month.

Jan 18 Ebay contacts me and says you have 2 days left to get a refund or we will close your case.

Jan 19 I begrudgingly file for a refund through Ebay.(I couldn't wait until the 20th as I may not be near a computer.) I would have liked to have given them more time, but will be out the $70 if it doesn't arrive. After the 20th, I have no more legal recourse to get a refund. Ebay agreed with me and refunded my money to my PayPal account.

WWYD, if it does arrive? (Honestly, I think the seller should have paid for expedited shipping to get it to me ASAP due to the error, so it never should have reached the 45day window to begin with.)

If it does arrive, would you make an effort to send it back, if they are willing to pay for the shipping? I would then be out the gasoline (to the PO) time and effort to do so. 10 minutes of Email to arrange payments, about 30 minutes drive to PO and 10 minutes there. SO, just under 1 hour.

Would you consider it a gift for your efforts? I have spent no less that an hour already with Email, Ebay, Paypal, filing claims, sending emails, checking for updates, etc and ds16 didn't get it for Christmas.

Keep it but make arrangements to send payment again once it arrives? Is there a time period that you would consider appropriate? ie If it arrives within the 30 days, you would sent payment....but not after?

Other?

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

Argh. That's a really annoying situation. Here's what I would do.

IF the product arrives, email the company and say, "I received the item today. EBay has already refunded me the money I spent on the product, so I would be willing to return the item to you so that you can try to resell it to another customer. Please send me a pre-paid return label, and I will take it to the post office. If I do not hear from you within 1 week, I will assume you want me to keep the item."

That way, you have tried to do the honorable thing by not keeping what you haven't paid for, but you have set a limit and a condition to returning it since they were negligent in shipping it to you so late.

IF the product arrives, email the company and say, "I received the item today. EBay has already refunded me the money I spent on the product, so I would be willing to return the item to you so that you can try to resell it to another customer. Please send me a pre-paid return label, and I will take it to the post office. If I do not hear from you within 1 week, I will assume you want me to keep the item."

That way, you have tried to do the honorable thing by not keeping what you haven't paid for, but you have set a limit and a condition to returning it since they were negligent in shipping it to you so late.

:iagree:this

This is so very frustrating.

It boils down to this... do you still want the item?

If you do want the item and it arrives, contact seller and arrange for payment.

If you do not want the item and it arrives, contact the seller to arrange for it to be shipped back at their expense.

I would never keep an item I didn't pay for without doing everything in my power to either pay for it or ship it back. But I would not pay for the shipping of it.... this messup is the sellers fault. Their mistake... they pay for it. Keeping an item without paying for it is theft unless the seller tells you to keep it but I wouldn't expect them to for a $70 item.

:iagree::iagree:

:iagree: This, 100%.

This.

If you do still want to keep the product, you should pay them. If you've decided you don't want it anymore, I believe you have the right to refuse the parcel. If it comes by post, you can tell the mail carrier you are refusing delivery. If it gets left at your house, simply take it to the PO, in unopened, original condition and tell them you refuse to accept this parcel, then request they return to sender. If it comes by UPS, I believe you have the same right and can refuse to sign for the parcel as well as inform them that you are refusing delivery and they are to return it to sender.

If they sent it by UPS, you can also inform the sender that you will no longer accept that parcel, and they can call UPS and request a recall on the delivery. Then, where ever it is in the UPS system, it just stops there and gets sent back to the sender.

This is the way it used to work when I lived in the states, and this is the way it works here in Canada. There is a chance I'm wrong and you can no longer do this there, but it would be worthwhile to check and see if you have a right to refuse a delivery.

Edited by Audrey