Menu

Garage sale/moving

First, we don't know anything yet.

The holidays are over, though, so it's a good time for a deep clean/organizing. The garage is a mess, so I thought I'd start there, organizing the boxes that are already packed a little on one side of the garage, getting ready for a big garage sale on the other side.

1. Some furniture got broken in our last move--that will go on the curb on the appropriate weekend.

2. Packed boxes, w/ some kind of organization on one side.

3. What to do on the other side, to prepare for a big, moving-to-another state garage sale? Stuff that we'll keep unless we move (sofa, bookcases) will be the last to go in (ie, not until we're sure we're going). First will be things that we'd get rid of anyway--clothes, toys, etc.

I've done a garage sale on my own exactly once, & we weren't moving. I need EASY if possible. :D Thanks!

Not sure I understand--would you have a garage sale at the new place? You want to know how to organize the stuff for that garage sale?

If those are both true, this is what I think...We're in the process of getting our house ready for sale right now, so we've been packing up, etc. I highly recommend the book Home Staging That Works by Starr C. Osborne. I got it from my library and it is excellent. It deals with decluttering/cleaning your home as well as arranging furniture. The author recommends that you "prepack" 50-60% of your belongings. If you're short on time, you just pack everything that you don't need for the time you'll be staying in the house--no sorting (deciding what to keep, what to toss [other than obvious trash], what to give away, what to sell). If you have more time, you can sort as you go.

If you're having a garage sale after the move, I'd suggest that while you're packing, you sort out what is going in the garage sale, label the boxes "garage sale" but not worry about pricing stuff until you've moved in. That way you can spend the rest of the time decluttering and prepacking the rest of the stuff in your house. If you don't end up moving, then you'll have a decluttered/clean house and your garage sale stuff will be in the garage waiting for when you're ready to deal with it.

Not sure I understand--would you have a garage sale at the new place? You want to know how to organize the stuff for that garage sale?

If those are both true, this is what I think...We're in the process of getting our house ready for sale right now, so we've been packing up, etc. I highly recommend the book Home Staging That Works by Starr C. Osborne. I got it from my library and it is excellent. It deals with decluttering/cleaning your home as well as arranging furniture. The author recommends that you "prepack" 50-60% of your belongings. If you're short on time, you just pack everything that you don't need for the time you'll be staying in the house--no sorting (deciding what to keep, what to toss [other than obvious trash], what to give away, what to sell). If you have more time, you can sort as you go.

If you're having a garage sale after the move, I'd suggest that while you're packing, you sort out what is going in the garage sale, label the boxes "garage sale" but not worry about pricing stuff until you've moved in. That way you can spend the rest of the time decluttering and prepacking the rest of the stuff in your house. If you don't end up moving, then you'll have a decluttered/clean house and your garage sale stuff will be in the garage waiting for when you're ready to deal with it.

No, before the move so we won't have the expense of moving so much stuff to another state. As far as staging...it's a rent house. That shouldn't be a problem.

I guess my question was more of...how to organize/prepare for a big garage sale? I made a section of the garage for sale items, so I can add to it as I clean the house. Is it more efficient to price things as I put them there, or to do it all at once the day or so before the sale?

And as far as moving again, obviously I'm leaving everything that's still packed in the garage, packed, but before we moved here, I had all the boxes labeled for the rooms they go to (that part still works) & sitting in the rooms they go to, so they'd go on the truck together. Should I re-sort what's already packed or not worry about that for now?