Menu

P90 / p90X questions I'm leaning toward P90

I need some info before I buy anything. My biggest issue is our basement ceiling. How much jumping/ overhead lifting is involved? If I'm standing normal, and reach up, my hands would go through the ceiling to about my wrists. I have to do over head lifts sitting down and I have to be careful, and be sure to have a lot of bend in my elbows when doing things like jumping jacks.

I looked through the fitness test for P90X, and I saw there was some jump straight up and down. Is there a lot of that? Will I be missing out on big chunks of the workout if I have to skip that type of thing? Is there a lot of that in p90 (the regular NON x one)??

Yes we have to workout in the basement. Jumping around in other parts of the house makes the whole house rattle - windows, chatskis, things in cabinets/cupboards. It's an 80 year old house.

In p90 there are 6 workouts and in p90X there are 12 workouts. Is the entire workout on one disk? Or do you do part of an arm disk, then switch it to part of yoga? I don't want to have to be switching disks, as it eats up a lot of time, but I've seen that before.

Also in the phases, is each phase a different disk or is it "If you are in Phase 1 what Barbie on my left, and if you're in Phase 2 follow Ken on my right." Is each section broken up to it's own disk?

I'm leaning more toward p90 over the p90X. Partially because I don't really have a full hour to devote JUST to the video tape in the morning. If I can do the 35 minutes of p90, but summer, I can upgrade to 90X, I'll actually have more time in the morning.

Also I can get through Jillian Michael's Shred, Level 1, but the few times I've tried level 2, I've hated it (the exercies, her voice...) and just gone back to level 1. And then soon after something happens and I get off the workout track for 3 or more weeks. So I end up back at Level 1 again anyway. But I don't know if that would mean I was ready to do P90X. I have a lot of muscle, and pretty good endurance, but I have jiggly fat. As in it moves and jiggles as I move. Like leg fat bounces up and down when I jump up and down, which actually feels really weird to my knees. Plus I feel like I need about three bras some times! And 90X seems to be more build muscle and tone. Is regular 90 more of a fat burn? I have a lot of muscle, and will happily put on more, but I need to burn fat first.

Do most people, with 50+ pounds to lose do 90 first and then move up to

90X? Or do you just jump into 90X? I'm almost 41, and i was pregant 8 1/2 years ago if that matters.

Thanks for any help!

I need some info before I buy anything. My biggest issue is our basement ceiling. How much jumping/ overhead lifting is involved? If I'm standing normal, and reach up, my hands would go through the ceiling to about my wrists. I have to do over head lifts sitting down and I have to be careful, and be sure to have a lot of bend in my elbows when doing things like jumping jacks.

I looked through the fitness test for P90X, and I saw there was some jump straight up and down. Is there a lot of that? Will I be missing out on big chunks of the workout if I have to skip that type of thing? Is there a lot of that in p90 (the regular NON x one)??

Yes we have to workout in the basement. Jumping around in other parts of the house makes the whole house rattle - windows, chatskis, things in cabinets/cupboards. It's an 80 year old house.

In p90 there are 6 workouts and in p90X there are 12 workouts. Is the entire workout on one disk? Or do you do part of an arm disk, then switch it to part of yoga? I don't want to have to be switching disks, as it eats up a lot of time, but I've seen that before.

Also in the phases, is each phase a different disk or is it "If you are in Phase 1 what Barbie on my left, and if you're in Phase 2 follow Ken on my right." Is each section broken up to it's own disk?

I'm leaning more toward p90 over the p90X. Partially because I don't really have a full hour to devote JUST to the video tape in the morning. If I can do the 35 minutes of p90, but summer, I can upgrade to 90X, I'll actually have more time in the morning.

Also I can get through Jillian Michael's Shred, Level 1, but the few times I've tried level 2, I've hated it (the exercies, her voice...) and just gone back to level 1. And then soon after something happens and I get off the workout track for 3 or more weeks. So I end up back at Level 1 again anyway. But I don't know if that would mean I was ready to do P90X. I have a lot of muscle, and pretty good endurance, but I have jiggly fat. As in it moves and jiggles as I move. Like leg fat bounces up and down when I jump up and down, which actually feels really weird to my knees. Plus I feel like I need about three bras some times! And 90X seems to be more build muscle and tone. Is regular 90 more of a fat burn? I have a lot of muscle, and will happily put on more, but I need to burn fat first.

Do most people, with 50+ pounds to lose do 90 first and then move up to

90X? Or do you just jump into 90X? I'm almost 41, and i was pregant 8 1/2 years ago if that matters.

Thanks for any help!

Lots to talk about.

If it weren't for the ceiling limitations, I would STRONGLY recommend Insanity. Like you, I have good muscle and p90X does build muscle. The Insanity knocked the fat right off. The workouts are shorter than P90X. The jump training that you dislike really, really works. I've got abs. Crap, even my feet shrank.

Yes, people jumped right into p90X even at 50lbs overweight or more. Each of the 12 workouts comes on its own DVD. You just pop that in for your entire workout session. No need to swap in the middle. Phase just has to do with the schedule, not the fitness level. For instance, in Phase 1, you would do DVD 1 on day 1, DVD 2 on day 2, and so forth. Phase 2, you might do work DVD 5 on day 1, DVD 11 on day 2. and so forth.

There are three ways or combinations to do P90X: Classic, Doubles, and Lean. That sounds confusing but it's not. P90X comes with 12 workouts and it is the timing and rotation that can vary. The various schedules are in the book that comes in the package. P90X does have one routine that is jump training but you actually skip that one if you opt for the Lean schedule. For routines that require you to lift a weight over your head, just sit on a chair or stool and you will be fine.

Other options could be Chalean or Turbofire.

Beachbody coaches are helpful. I have one for myself and now I am one as well (PM me if you would like). The coaching thing is FREE.

A BIG help to me was to use the facebook pages for P90X and Insanity. Lots of coaches there if you care to pick one but also just a lot of fans answering other people's questions and propping people up. Just be aware that people (mostly coaches) will be sending you friend requests.

hth

I just had to make the same choice and went with P90X.

I figure I'd rather buy the thing that will take me farther and modify as necessary (and believe me...I'm going to have to modify A LOT), and then have the program already when I build up muscle and stamina.

I just got it today and I'm about to open the box. I'm not afraid to admit I'm a little scared!

I just had to make the same choice and went with P90X.

I figure I'd rather buy the thing that will take me farther and modify as necessary (and believe me...I'm going to have to modify A LOT), and then have the program already when I build up muscle and stamina.

I just got it today and I'm about to open the box. I'm not afraid to admit I'm a little scared!

You'll be FINE!!! The only requirement is that you do it to the best of your ability. It's not crazy hard (except maybe plyometrics). It's not confusing either.

The nutrition guide can be a little daunting but like exercise, it just takes practice eating right. Eventually fueling your body to your needs will be second nature.

You'll be FINE!!! The only requirement is that you do it to the best of your ability. It's not crazy hard (except maybe plyometrics). It's not confusing either.

The nutrition guide can be a little daunting but like exercise, it just takes practice eating right. Eventually fueling your body to your needs will be second nature.

Actually, it was reading many of your posts that made me take the plunge! I'm excited about it! And I'm not really nervous about the nutrition guide. I'm used to portioning out my protein in advance, eating only certain things, etc.

If I need help and/or motiviation, can I PM you? :D

Actually, it was reading many of your posts that made me take the plunge! I'm excited about it! And I'm not really nervous about the nutrition guide. I'm used to portioning out my protein in advance, eating only certain things, etc.

If I need help and/or motiviation, can I PM you? :D

Please do. AND/OR you could go to TeamBeachbody.com. Create an account (there is a pay option and a free option). There is helpful information there. I use it to schedule my workouts and coordinate my programs. I am currently doing Insanity and Brazil Butt Lift. My WOWY (that's the TeamBeachbody thing) handle is RockinASkirt.