Menu

looking for movie recommendations for our family nights

I try to do a pizza & movie night with my kids every Friday. Their ages are 7, 5, and 4. I'd love any recommendations anyone might have for this age range.

They've viewed all the Pixar and Dreamworks animations ad nauseam (well, for me anyway though I do love those). :) I know I am missing some great movies to add to my Netflix queue. I look forward to your suggestions!

Thanks!!!!

Mary Poppins

Lassie

Pinocchio (not the cartoon version)

The Black Stallion

Peter Pan

Escape To Witch Mountain

Babe

A Little Princess

Annie (my son LOVED this at 4 when watching with his older sister)

Pollyanna

The Swiss Family Robinson

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the original)

Wizard of Oz (if you think it won't be too scary)

Enchanted

The Sound of Music

Dumbo

Bambi

Lion King

Lady and the Tramp

Pippi Longstocking

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Alice in Wonderland

Oliver

Heidi

Edited by NanceXToo

We have discovered some neat movies we had never heard of before via Netflix streaming. The Boathouse Detectives and Secret of the Cave were both great movies for children. My children also enjoyed Five Children and It, the Railway Children, the Phoenix and the Carpet, and Last Chance Detectives.

ETA: I don't know if some of these would appeal to 4/5 year olds or not.

Gnome Mobile

any Dean Jones(Disney Movie)

Pete's Dragon

We always look for movies by scrolling down to the bottom of the page on the movie we just ordered. They usually give ideas and suggestions for other movies.

Our problem is we have seen sooooo many movies that it is becoming increasingly difficult to find "good" ones to watch. My kids are pretty good movie critics and so they don't want to just watch the so-so ones.

We always look for movies by scrolling down to the bottom of the page on the movie we just ordered. They usually give ideas and suggestions for other movies.

Great suggestion, thanks.

I think I'm going to actually take the time to write many of these recommendations on slips of paper and have the kids draw one from a bowl each week. I'll try to remember to post back on ones that were big hits for us, if that helps anyone else. :)

Oh, also, "The Incredible Journey" might be a good one.

I couldn't stand the snotty tone of the new one (pardon me, I dislike a lot of movies) but the OLD one is very nice for kids.

Don't forget Fantasia. If you are wild about it, there is an Italian version from the 70s Allegro Non Troppo, with some very silly stuff (the orchestra is made up of silly old ladies). It is more serious and somber than Fantasia, but kiddo just notices the lovely cat, not the house being torn down.

Charlie the Lonesome Cougar, with the same narrator as the old Incredible Journey. When kiddo was about 6, he started liking Jason and the Argonauts, but some 4 year olds might find it scary (I remember seeing it at 7 and thinking it the most exciting thing in the world).