Menu

French curriculum suggestions for kindergarten

mbosh237

my suggestion would be to buy/download some kids songs all in French. They have tons at Amazon.com. They even have some little kid (age 4-6) French workbooks, and children's books in French (like The Cat in the Hat, etc). At 3 years the best thing you can do is let them listen to the language being spoken. Whenever I've needed to learn a language I would just play music in that language all day in the background. You'll be amazed at how much to pick up on. It works the same for kids (at least, for mine it did). In my experience listening to the language (a lot) really helped when it came time to do textbook type study.

You might take a look at Alex et Zoe but IMO this is for some elder then K.

Alex et Zoe is for age 7 and up. It is also entirely in French -- this is not a program for someone who doesn't speak French.

I recommend starting with "Bonjour les Amis" videos. And maybe supplement with the Berlitz Adventures with Nicolas series.

We didn't use a formal curriculum at that age. I just tried to find things that would introduce them to the sound of the language.

My kids liked Barron's My First French Dictionary, but I don't think you can buy it new anymore. There are all kinds of good books like it out there though. I would focus on something that had a lot of colorful pictures and named the items in French and/or English. It is also extremely helpful (especially if you aren't a French speaker) to have a pronunciation key in the back.

My kids also liked Baby's First Steps in French which is a CD combined with a booklet. That one is definitely geared to children in the 0 to 2 year age bracket, but I still think it has some merit. For us, even my two older children still like to listen to the songs and rhymes.

Once your child gets a little older, you could look at something like powerspeaK12's online French courses. My daughter completed the first two semesters while she was in the third grade and my son, who was in the first grade at the time, spent a LOT of time looking over her shoulder and listening to the stories along with her.

Hope that helps a little! Best of luck to you!

I wouldn't use this for that age group. I am using it for my oldest kids (12, 10) and there's a lot of teaching that you have to do. It has written work that would be rather difficult for K5.

I am hoping to find a French course like Memoria Press' Prima Latina for my children.