Menu

Chicken & Dumplings

Mmmm I always get compliments on my Chicken & Dumplins! :)

I use 4 all natural boneless/skinless chicken breasts, boiled in 2 cans chicken broth + 2 cans water. Add a handful of parsley flakes, lots of pepper, NO SALT (the chicken broth provides plenty!) When the breasts are cooked through, remove them and let them rest, then shred the chicken. Add another 2 cans of chicken broth + 2 more cans of water, bring to a rapid boil (about medium-high heat)

For dumplins, I use the refridgerated pie crusts by pillsbury. There are 2 pie crusts in each box & I use 2 boxes, so 4 pie crusts. Just roll them out & slice them with a pizza cutter into about 2"x4" dumplins. After chicken broth/water comes to a rapid boil, add dumplin strips. Add another handful of parsley flakes & another good dose of pepper. Add 1 TBS flour to help thicken. Add shredded chicken. Again, NO SALT! Add a lid & let boil for about 10 minutes with a few gentle stirs so the dumplins dont stick to the bottom, or each other. After 10 minutes of cooking covered, remove the lid and let simmer for about an hour with gentle stirring every 10 or so minutes.

These are SOOOOO yummy and delicious!

Edited by rootsnwings

If you can follow my "non-recipe" I have to say that I make the best C&D on the planet. :D I copied from my mother, so I guess SHE makes the best, but...well...you get my (not so humble) drift. Oh, and it's EASY!

Take chicken parts (either a whole cut up, or pieces...I use breasts) and put them in a large pot. Make sure it's bone-in, with skin. Add water to cover.

Add diced celery, carrot, onion, salt, pepper and a generous amount of poultry seasoning. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, simmer until the chicken is very tender and comes off the bone easily.

Take out the chicken and remove it from the bones with a fork once it cools. I shred mine. Add the meat back to the pot. Then add enough canned/boxed chicken broth to cover the chicken again, plus a couple of inches above that. (Note: My mother uses water for this part, but I like the flavor of the broth better). You'll need to add more salt, pepper and poultry seasoning at this point, to taste. Turn up the heat to return to a boil.

Then you make the dumplings. I use Bisquick and follow the recipe on the package for dumplings (I hate rolled ones), but i use broth from the boiling pot for the liquid instead of milk or water for better flavor. Also, follow the cooking instructions on the box (drop by large teaspoon full into the boiling liquid...), but don't ever cover the pot or your dumpling don't turn out right. The liquid gets nice and thick from cooking the dumplings right in the pot, and the whole thing is delicious.

Oh, this is a fluffy but very dense dumpling, not noodle-like, though.

If I weren't on a really strict diet this is what I'd make for dinner tonight. Yum!

I always get confused by this. To me, dumplings were always similar to bisquits cooked in broth - light a fluffy. Other times I see them as something like a really thick noodle...

I saw that on an Alton Brown show one. He said the difference was a *North* vs. *South* kind of thing. I personally think the South and their fluffy dumplins win! :D