Menu

Francophones -- what does this mean??

amsunshine

I recently ordered Alex et Zoe from Amazon.fr. It took almost 2 months to finally arrive, and the shipping cost was exhorbitant, but I am happy to say I really like what I see so far. It's really charming.

I ordered just one workbook (along with the textbook and a reader), that comes with a CD -- even though I have 2 dc. Honestly, I didn't know if I would like the program, and didn't want to spend a lot more money on something sight unseen -- especially when I don't need 2 CDs. I thought that I could just make copies of workbook pages as needed. At least, that's what I thought....

So, here I am...happily looking through the books and planning my first lessons when, lo and behold, I see this on the back of the book in small print:

"Danger. Le photocopillage tue le livre"

Ummm....they've got to be kidding, right? I'm guessing the book is not going to spontaneously combust or anything if I copy it, so I'm wondering -- is this just the French idiomatic way of saying the book is protected by copyright?

Thanks for any help....

Edited by amsunshine

Thanks, Laura -- I thought that was it, but wasn't certain. I certainly don't want to contribute to the demise of the book, but I don't want to wait 2 more months to get another workbook and pay the super high shipping costs. I'll get 2 workbooks next time, for sure.

Thanks again.

Hi Cleopatra --

I may order from Amazon.ca, but at the time I placed my original order, they didn't appear to have all the components I needed. They've just come out with a new edition, published in 2010, and there are still old editions floating around.

Note that I am disappointed with one thing about the program. After examining everything I have, I realized that the CD that comes with the lesson book does not have any of the actual lessons on it. It is merely a CD of games that correspond to the lessons. The audio CDs that have the lessons on them cost over $100! I wish I had the money to get the audio CDs, because the program would be more complete, but we will be able to get by without them, as I feel comfortable improvising.

Now that I've realized the audio CDs are so expensive, and not included with the lesson book, I will probably not use any more of the other levels in the future, although I really like it. We'll most likely use this and then move on to L'Art de Lire.

Feel free to ask any other questions about the program....

Hi Cleopatra --

I may order from Amazon.ca, but at the time I placed my original order, they didn't appear to have all the components I needed. They've just come out with a new edition, published in 2010, and there are still old editions floating around.

Note that I am disappointed with one thing about the program. After examining everything I have, I realized that the CD that comes with the lesson book does not have any of the actual lessons on it. It is merely a CD of games that correspond to the lessons. The audio CDs that have the lessons on them cost over $100! I wish I had the money to get the audio CDs, because the program would be more complete, but we will be able to get by without them, as I feel comfortable improvising.

Now that I've realized the audio CDs are so expensive, and not included with the lesson book, I will probably not use any more of the other levels in the future, although I really like it. We'll most likely use this and then move on to L'Art de Lire.

Feel free to ask any other questions about the program....

Hi Amsunshine,

Ah, that's nice to know. I'll have to take a look at Amazon France to see what they have. I know Alliance Francaise in Vancouver uses/recommends Alex et Zoe so I thought Amazon Canada would stock everything.

How old are your dc? I'm always looking for a program for my dd ---- right now she's doing TMM along with lots of reading. It seems to be working well, so I might leave it that way for a few years but eventually she should work through something. I may look at Breaking the Barrier or So You Really Want To Learn French

Here's something that we have been using that has been wonderful http://www.bayardjeunesse.ca/magazines/item.aspx?id=45&t=2 It is expensive as well but I love that the main story from each magazine comes on a CD. It's been an excellent way to develop pronunciation, understanding as well as her reading.

If I may be so bold to ask :001_smile:, why did you decide to have your dc study French? Of course, being Canadian, it would be a natural choice for us but I continue to be delightfully surprised at the number of homeschoolers on the boards (non-Canadians) who choose to have their children study it. It's very intriguing .......

Thanks for all the information! If you come across more interesting material, please let us know!:001_smile:

It sounds like you don't have the Guide pedagogique! That is the heart of the program and you can get it from Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Alex-Level-Teachers-Guide-French/dp/2090338180/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295612818&sr=8-1

One copy, used. But that is probably for the first edition; maybe you could use it anyway? Anyway the GP has the entire script to all the lessons, which are what is on the $100+ set. On a budget you could just buy the GP and read the script yourself instead of playing the classroom CDs.

Honestly, without the GP or the classroom CDs, you are missing the main teaching component of the program. The workbook, textbook, and student CD reinforce the spoken lessons, but since this program is geared towards younger children the spoken component takes the lion's share of the curriculum.

Other sources for this curriculum include europeanbook.com (that's where I got it) and http://www.schoenhofs.com/ (I've shopped there before, too). And don't forget to check just Amazon.com. I managed to get the whole curriculum without once ordering out of the US, and I got it in under a week.

Anyway the GP has the entire script to all the lessons, which are what is on the $100+ set. On a budget you could just buy the GP and read the script yourself instead of playing the classroom CDs.

unity -- you are a lifesaver -- thank you! I will be ordering the GP immediately. It never occurred to me that the script to the lessons would be in there -- I just assumed they would all be on CD.

Here's something that we have been using that has been wonderful http://www.bayardjeunesse.ca/magazin...aspx?id=45&t=2 It is expensive as well but I love that the main story from each magazine comes on a CD. It's been an excellent way to develop pronunciation, understanding as well as her reading.

Oh, great -- I hear my money flying out of my wallet as I type this. :tongue_smilie: Thank you, Cleopatra -- this looks absolutely wonderful. My girls are 7 and 9.

If I may be so bold to ask :001_smile:, why did you decide to have your dc study French? Of course, being Canadian, it would be a natural choice for us but I continue to be delightfully surprised at the number of homeschoolers on the boards (non-Canadians) who choose to have their children study it. It's very intriguing .......

Of course! I'm teaching my dc French mostly because it's what I know -- it's so much easier to teach something I'm comfortable with rather than something like Latin or Chinese, which I don't know at all. :tongue_smilie: But I really have a firm belief that learning foreign languages is important and that it's imperative to start learning at a young age. My girls also take Spanish at their charter school. I'm hoping they will be at least bilingual, if not trilingual, by high school.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add a very small side note: photocopier, "photocopiage" is the correct spelling.

"piller" means to destroy.

They combined both words and created "photocopillage" as a play on words.

1. "Youpi" is a well put together magazine for 5-8yr olds. I believe you also get access to online games from Bayard when you subscribe to their magazines.

2. librairieducentre.com (my favorite bookstore)

3. cornemuse.com sweet TV show for kindergarten age/ games

4. tfo.org/jeux/index (television franco-ontarienne)/games

5. radio-canada.ca/jeunesse/pe****/ games

6. caillou.com games/ tv show

7. cforp.ca/minimag/

8. comptines.net songs, drawing,

HTH

Isabelle