Menu

French Press Question

So . . . I'm feeling inspired to make a sexier coffee for my husband.

Bless his heart, after long years of me desiring for him to eat healthier, he has come to it on his own (really?) and is wanting more healthy meals.

This excites me no end. :001_wub:

I confess that I've always cooked very wholesome meals but knowing that he wasn't excited about those meals was always a sorrow to me. That old way to a man's heart being through his stomach thing was bothering me, I guess. Now that he wants more wholesomeness in his food, I've been reinspired in the kitchen and am looking for new ways to make wholesomeness sexy.

He drinks coffee. I just won't even tell you what he drinks but I can tell you that it's loathesome. really. If he spilled it I'm sure a dirty old rag would refuse to soak it up. Also, he goes out to get it. I want my husband to desire the home coffee. So . . .

What about a french press? I've never used one but the lady who used to work at the soda fountain/lunch counter at the mom and pop book shop swore by hers. And it was kind of a sexy thing sitting on the flame like that. and much sexier than Mr. Coffee. She swore that once you go french press, you never go back.

True?

Also, could it be used for making tea without residual coffee taste? Stop that! I'm talking about tea not teA, Tea, tEa, or TEA! Could I make a pot of coffee, rinse it out, and make a pot of tea with no problems?

Thanks, guys!

Edited by MomOfOneFunOne

So . . . I'm feeling inspired to make a sexier coffe for my husband.

Bless his heart, after long years of me desiring for him to eat healthier, he has come to it on his own (really?) and is wanting more healthy meals.

This excites me no end. :001_wub:

I confess that I've always cooked very wholesome meals but knowing that he wasn't excited about those meals was always a sorrow to me. That old way to a man's heart being through his stomach thing was bothering me, I guess. Now that he wants more wholesomeness in his food, I've been reinspired in the kitchen and am looking for new ways to make wholesomeness sexy.

He drinks coffee. I just won't even tell you what he drinks but I can tell you that it's loathesome. really. If he spilled it I'm sure a dirty old rag would refuse to soak it up. Also, he goes out to get it. I want my husband to desire the home coffee. So . . .

What about a french press? I've never used one but the lady who used to work at the soda fountain/lunch counter at the mom and pop book shop swore by hers. And it was kind of a sexy thing sitting on the flame like that. and much sexier than Mr. Coffee. She swore that once you go french press, you never go back.

True?

Also, could it be used for making tea without residual coffee taste? Stop that! I'm talking about tea not teA, Tea, tEa, or TEA! Could I make a pot of coffee, rinse it out, and make a pot of tea with no problems?

Thanks, guys!

I've owned several French presses, and none of them sat on a flame. They were a glass carafe in a metal holder, with a plastic lid, and a wire mesh plunger. This is the French press of which you speak?

Anyway, we liked pressed coffee. We have also liked coffee made in an Italian espresso pot on the stove [sorta looks like an octagonal or hexagonal hourglass]. And currently we drink coffee from a Keurig. You have to get used to a small amount of grounds in your coffee.

As for making tea.... mmm, no. The coffee flavor gets into the mesh. You could make tea, I've done it, but there is a residual flavor leftover.

Good luck!

1. I've owned several French presses, and none of them sat on a flame. They were a glass carafe in a metal holder, with a plastic lid, and a wire mesh plunger. This is the French press of which you speak?

Anyway, we liked pressed coffee. We have also liked coffee made in an Italian espresso pot on the stove [sorta looks like an octagonal or hexagonal hourglass]. And currently we drink coffee from a Keurig. You have to get used to a small amount of grounds in your coffee.

2. As for making tea.... mmm, no. The coffee flavor gets into the mesh. You could make tea, I've done it, but there is a residual flavor leftover.

Good luck!

As for 1. that's disappointing. We have a gas stove and could only use one that could stand a flame. Maybe they make some particularly for gas?

As for 2., I was afraid of that. hmmm, I wonder about having a tea plunger and a coffee plunger . . . ?

Edited by MomOfOneFunOne

I have never used a French Press, but your whole post made me laugh. With lines like this-

So . . . I'm feeling inspired to make a sexier coffee for my husband.

... I want my husband to desire the home coffee.

coffee will come to have a new meaning on the WTM board. :lol:

Good for you- trying to make something healthy food desirable for your family! :001_smile:

You don't need a flame or a burner to make french press coffee (except to boil the water). You boil the water separately, add it to the coffee in the press, let it steep, press the plunger, then enjoy your coffee.

I suspect what the coffee lady was calling a french press was something else - a percolator, maybe?

We used a French press for years... and we used fresh ground coffee. I bought a little mini-grinder and put in whole coffee beans and pushed the button... mmmm. Poured those into the French press and added boiling water, then pressed the grate down. This is the French press that Mama-Rana spoke of. So, you can use your gas stove to heat he water and pour it in... Or... there may be something fancier and sexier out there for you to use with your gas stove...

Home ground in a French press is quite delicious. The only reason I don't do this still is that my children and I kept breaking the glass carafes.

Oooh, yes, coffee CAN be sexy! :)

We love our French press... It's nice when you just want a cup or two of high quality coffee without doing the whole coffeemaker thing.

We have a Bodum.

One thing that I have learned that really helps bring out the flavor is to make sure AFTER you pour in your water that you stir it vigorously until the "crema" appears -- it's that foamy layer on the top of the coffee. Here are really good instructions.

You don't need a flame or a burner to make french press coffee (except to boil the water). You boil the water separately, add it to the coffee in the press, let it steep, press the plunger, then enjoy your coffee.

I suspect what the coffee lady was calling a french press was something else - a percolator, maybe?

I never actually saw her make coffee. The thing did, however, sit on the stove but as I consider . . . maybe it was never really on the flame but sitting in the middle of the stove. I'm trying to remember . . .

I do think it was a french press b/c it looked just like this one.

french_press.jpg

Knowing nothing about french presses, I just assumed that it went on the flame just like a percolator. I had no idea that you just add boiling water . . . how in the world does that make coffee?

right . . . off to google.

I adore coffee made in my French press. It's got a whole new dimension to it--after French press coffee, regular percolator coffee tastes totally flat.

The picture you linked is the kind I have. I boil water in a tea kettle on my stove and pour it over the grounds. I grind the coffee beans in a mini-grinder--it's small and easy and quick. After putting in the water, put the top on and let it steep 3-5 minutes. Press the plunger down, pour, and enjoy.

It's also absolutely decadent served with heavy cream. Another lovely addition is a sprinkle of cinnamon or cocoa or both.

I have the French Press pictured above. My problem is boiling the water. I boil it in a saucepan and then pour it into my French Press. Can you imagine the mess I make every.single.time? Is there a better way to do this? And while the first cup is great, it doesn't stay hot. So, I am not one who has gone to the French Press and never looked back. We have this percolator but it doesn't sit on a flame, it plugs in.

ETA: Oh, I see someone said to use a tea kettle for the water. I don't think I have one of those anymore.

Edited by Guest

Knowing nothing about french presses, I just assumed that it went on the flame just like a percolator. I had no idea that you just add boiling water . . . how in the world does that make coffee?

Yes, that is a French press in that picture.

Automatic drip coffee makers have the ground coffee sitting in a basket, and the machine heats water to boiling and just pours the water over the grounds, then collects it after it goes through the filter paper, and that makes drip coffee.

In a French press, you pour the boiling water into the carafe with the ground, and they sit together for a few minutes, then you press the grounds to the bottom and drink the liquid, and that makes press coffee.

Percolated coffee is different and rarely made anymore...the coffee grounds sit in a basket and boiling water circulates around the basket for a while, making coffee. It can be kind of harsh. When you mention sitting on a flame, I believe you are thinking of a stove top percolator. Vermont Country Store has one:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/products/products-for-the-home/kitchen-products/coffee-pots-and-tea-kettles/Stove-Top-Percolator.html?evar3=cross%20sells

Yes, that is a French press in that picture.

Automatic drip coffee makers have the ground coffee sitting in a basket, and the machine heats water to boiling and just pours the water over the grounds, then collects it after it goes through the filter paper, and that makes drip coffee.

In a French press, you pour the boiling water into the carafe with the ground, and they sit together for a few minutes, then you press the grounds to the bottom and drink the liquid, and that makes press coffee.

Percolated coffee is different and rarely made anymore...the coffee grounds sit in a basket and boiling water circulates around the basket for a while, making coffee. It can be kind of harsh. When you mention sitting on a flame, I believe you are thinking of a stove top percolator. Vermont Country Store has one:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/products/products-for-the-home/kitchen-products/coffee-pots-and-tea-kettles/Stove-Top-Percolator.html?evar3=cross%20sells

I have a percolator! We use it for camping and like it well enough for the purpose but it makes kind of a cowboy coffee (you have to sip through your teeth to strain the coffee grounds a bit) and it does make pretty good coffee. Buuuut, it just isn't sexy. Even if it were new and not charred and dented it wouldn't be sexy. alas . . .

You need to teach people on this forum how to boil water? :D

The way a French Press works:

1. Put water to boil (preferably in a kettle)

2. Grind coffee beans (must be done fresh)

3. Pull the Plunger/Filter/Lid assembly out of the Carafe.

4. Put fresh grounds into the Carafe.

5. When water hits a boil, slowly pour a small amount of water onto the grounds aiming to get them all wet, but with a minimum of water. This is called a "bloom." Smell. Lovely.

6. When the bloom starts to release the coffee pour the rest of the hot water in slowly, reserving room at the top of the carafe for the Plunger/Filter/Lid to return.

7. Take the removed Plunger/Filer/Lid and pull the Plunger up. Put lid on Carafe. The filter will now rest on top of the grounds and water.

8. Steep.

9. When the coffee is ready, secure the Press with one hand and gently press down on the top knot of the Plunger until the Filter has pressed all the coffee grounds to the bottom of the Carafe.

10. Pour coffee, and enjoy!

Optional. If one drinks coffee very slowly (and has delicate taste) some people pour off the coffee to a vacuum thermos to keep warm so the coffee is removed from the grounds. I have neve found this necessary.

Tip: if the "plunging" is difficult (or even very difficult) it is because the grounds are too fine. Remove the Plunger, still the grounds with metal spoon, let settle, roughly clean filter under running water in sink. Then re-plunge. This is all unnecessary once you get the right grind, but may happen if you use a fine grind.

It is easier than it sounds. The half a minute spent to make a "bloom" (rather than just pouring the hot water all in in one shot is worth the time).

Good luck!

Bill

We use a french press here for both coffee and tea. If you wash them well between coffee and tea uses, there should be no cross-flavor effects. You can take apart the layers of the filter by unscrewing them, and put all parts into the dishwasher. Just remember which order to put them back on. Fortunately, dh has a better memory than I do.

The one downside of the french press is that it cools quickly. A friend told me she got a stainless steel insulated french press at Starbucks. I may try one next time ours breaks.

We have gone through lots of french presses because I am a clumsy dish washer and tend to smack the glass against the faucet. The glass is rather thin. This might be another reason for me to invest in a stainless steel one.:tongue_smilie:

I have a double-walled glass French press, and I find that it stays warm for a while. I've seen simple instructions for sewing an insulator to fit aound the press, but I've never gotten around to that. If I know that I won't drink a second cup of coffee until much later, I pour the coffee into something else so that it doesn't steep too long.

French press is the only way to go, IMHO.

I'm so spoiled for it - regular coffee tastes horrible!

We also buy whole beans and grind them (this also makes a big difference)

We actually take our French Press with us when we go on vacation or to stay at other people's houses!!! Yeah - we're that bad.

Oooh, yes, coffee CAN be sexy! :)

We love our French press... It's nice when you just want a cup or two of high quality coffee without doing the whole coffeemaker thing.

We have a Bodum.

Us too. It is great, but we don't use it every day. I use my Cuisinart with grinder and Jamaican Blue Mountain is a favorite.

Tip: if the "plunging" is difficult (or even very difficult) it is because the grounds are too fine. Remove the Plunger, still the grounds with metal spoon, let settle, roughly clean filter under running water in sink. Then re-plunge. This is all unnecessary once you get the right grind, but may happen if you use a fine grind.

Got this part.

You need to teach people on this forum how to boil water? :D

Yes, it's the simple things that trip me up. :tongue_smilie: