Menu

Advanced Language Lessons

truebluexf

• 4 months later...
Guest Patriot Mama

I have just stumbled across this curriculum and am very curious about it. As we have not used any of your previous curriculum I am not sure which level is appropriate. My son will be going into 6th grade and we have been using BJU and ABEKA.

What can you tell me about it? Or can you lead me to a site to find out more?

Thanks!

Patriot Mama

• 1 month later...
I have just stumbled across this curriculum and am very curious about it. As we have not used any of your previous curriculum I am not sure which level is appropriate. My son will be going into 6th grade and we have been using BJU and ABEKA.

What can you tell me about it? Or can you lead me to a site to find out more?

Thanks!

Patriot Mama

I just review the first five chapters. The author says you begin with the first level, however once the 4 levels are done-that's it-no more grammar. It is on to the study of rhetoric. I found the sample of the first five chapters on their twitter page. Sorry, I don't know how to link.

The new book looks good! The only thing I don't like is that, so far, the student pages are intertwined in the teacher pages, so they have to be ripped out. I would much, much, much rather they be two separate books. I like the lead to independence here. I wonder if it has to wait til 5th grade, or you can go from FLL3 to ALL5?

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/resource-roundup/new-grammar-and-writing-resources/

The new book looks good! The only thing I don't like is that, so far, the student pages are intertwined in the teacher pages, so they have to be ripped out. I would much, much, much rather they be two separate books. I like the lead to independence here. I wonder if it has to wait til 5th grade, or you can go from FLL3 to ALL5?

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/resource-roundup/new-grammar-and-writing-resources/

It is meant to start in 5th and to go with WWS.

I guess what I mean is, though, *can* it be started sooner? Is it going to get into logic stage stuff too much? It is meant to be used for even 5th graders without much prior grammar, if I understand correctly. Do they correlate? We use FLL and WWE on different levels. I'm torn, because I could also see using JAG then AG, and being "done" with grammar even sooner, so it's not the focus of our work anymore. I spoke with the writer of AG and JAG could even be done in 4th, skip grammar in 5th, then go into AG. I'm all over the place in my thinking, lol, but less grammar in the middle grades leaves more time to spend on writing and applying that grammar.

I don't know if this helps you make the decision to do it a year earlier but the book says 5th graders could begin it without having any prior grammar at all. (We've done all of FLL and I just got in the mail my Rod and Staff 5-I didn't know this was coming-anyone looking for Rod and Staff 5:D)When those 4 levels are done (5-8th) then ALL grammar is done. Susan says then students can go into a full study of rhetoric and SWB says a good rhetoric program will incorporate grammar. Do you want to be done with all grammar in 7th?