Menu

Service opportunites for non Christians?

Heather's post about her school needing to hire more help got me thinking. Are there similar opportunities for non Christians? Not just education, but service in general? Is there a program for non-Christians who want to serve others? Something akin to missionary work where you go and live and work in a community to help improve said community. Or maybe more like the Peace Corps, but you can go as a family. I had intended to join the Peace Corps straight out of college, but dh proposed, we started planning a life and a family, and you can't take a family with you as a Peace Corps volunteer. I know there are opportunities for people with money to go on a service trip, but the programs I have seen cost thousands of dollars.

I know there are local opportunities to volunteer, and I do, but I suppose I feel called to this the same way some Christians do. I'm not opposed to going with a Christian group, but none I have found so far want me because I'm not Christian and won't proselytize. And dh is much farther from the Christian viewpoint than I am, so even if they would take me, I seriously doubt they would take him.

Any constructive suggestions?

My sister has a part in running a volunteer agency in Kenya, if you want to go that far. It does cost money, but someone has to pay and the impoverished people needing help aren't going to be the ones doing it. If you want more info, I can put you into contact with her. I don't know if she has opportunities for families, but she's an inventive girl and can probably work something out. I expect you can find something closer to home though.

Don't underestimate the work you can do locally. People in your town count just as much as people elsewhere.

Rosie

This isnt quite what you are looking for but I wonder if they do have opportunities for people out in the field. Its a micro financing program- you lend anything from $25 up, to someone in poverty who needs a loan to start or build their business. They actually pay it back! Then you can lend the same money to someone else. I only have $25 in there right now but I have now helped 2 separate women build their businesses- one feeding people from in front of her home- she needed an awning to protect her stall from the sun. Once she paid that back I put the money to a woman in Peru who needed to buy more stock for her guinea pig and small livestock business. I feel like I am making a difference. I will lend more as I am able.

/www.kiva.org/

I'm not opposed to going with a Christian group, but none I have found so far want me because I'm not Christian and won't proselytize.

Isn't that terrible?

I tried a while back to volunteer to be like a mentor at an organization for pregnant and parenting teens (because I WAS one once upon a time and really thought I could help) and they refused me because I'm not Christian. Even though the "job" I'd have been doing would have had nothing to do with religion, it would have just had to do with parenting- like parenting type classes and mentoring. She actually told me, "Maybe you can find something more in line with your Jewish heritage" or some such.

I'm SURE that's EXACTLY what Jesus would have said. "This woman wants to help, but she's Jewish, so send her away." :rolleyes: Riiiiight.

As it turns out, the only organizations for this type of thing are doing it for religious reasons- which is fine with me, I just wanted to help and it didn't matter to me if the people I was working alongside were Christian- but apparently they didn't feel the same way about me. It's a shame.

I hope you find something!

I have looked at that one before, it is one of the ones that costs thousands of dollars to go help somewhere for a couple of weeks. It would be great if we could afford it.

Is there a possibility of getting sponsors so you wouldn't have to put out all that money? I don't know anything about it, but it's a thought.

Isn't that terrible?

I tried a while back to volunteer to be like a mentor at an organization for pregnant and parenting teens (because I WAS one once upon a time and really thought I could help) and they refused me because I'm not Christian. Even though the "job" I'd have been doing would have had nothing to do with religion, it would have just had to do with parenting- like parenting type classes and mentoring. She actually told me, "Maybe you can find something more in line with your Jewish heritage" or some such.

I'm SURE that's EXACTLY what Jesus would have said. "This woman wants to help, but she's Jewish, so send her away." :rolleyes: Riiiiight.

As it turns out, the only organizations for this type of thing are doing it for religious reasons- which is fine with me, I just wanted to help and it didn't matter to me if the people I was working alongside were Christian- but apparently they didn't feel the same way about me. It's a shame.

:( How discouraging...

Asha for Education

http://www.ashanet.org/

They have a 4 star rating on Charity Navigator and are completely volunteer run. They have a section on there for volunteering/interning. I don't know the specifics though.

http://www.ashanet.org/internship/index.php

See, this one has a fee of $100 a month for room and board while you are there so as not to burden the people you are there to help. I think that is completely reasonable. Thanks for posting this.

Isn't that terrible?

That is frustrating :( Have you looked at a local Council of Churches? I know it has "churches" in it's name, but it's a parachurch organisation that helps with food banks, clothing banks, etc. I really don't think they are that picky about volunteers.