Menu

Ipad questions...

You know there is just something within me that is saying that this technology is going to be the future of education. I have felt this way since the ipad came out.

The question to me is, when do I really push for it? I know I can make a case for it to my dh, at some point. I know I can save up and buy one for the kids, but when should I do it? Do I get myself one first, for the family to share? Do I plan on getting one for each of the school aged kids? I'm just not sure about when to introduce them into our school. No, we are not made of money, and I would have to save up for them, but I could possibly do it year after next (if I wanted to get two of them). My kids are aged almost 10, 5.5, and almost 3. What would you do?

I would just save up for one for yourself, and then see how much you use it and whether you think everyone would need one. I have one but since both kids have their own computers, it has never felt important that they also have an ipad. It's just my little luxury, really.

They are lovely. I use mine for reading downloaded books more thna anything. But really, a small laptop would be just a useful and cheaper.

I love my iPad. I use it a lot for scheduling, reading, taking notes, surfing the internet of couse and checking email (I love that it's always on). I use it a lot for work, but not so much for school. My ds8 uses it most of my children, all his flashcards are on there and he reads books I've downloaded from Project Gutenburg, but that's about it. If I could get TOG on it I would love it for school, but I can only get the SAP workbooks on it. I wouldn't get it just for school, not at this point.

My dh has an ipad. I would not buy one at this point for school. There are some useful apps, but until the curriculum publishers start making use of it, I don't think it would be worth the $$. By the time they do start using it, the first generation ipad will probably be obsolete. They'll be coming out with the ipad 5 or something. Just my $.02.

I got one as soon as it was out...and love it! Really.Love.It....BUT while I thoroughly believe that the iPad was/is the first step towards the next revolution in technology, I also find it to be one of the most "useless" pieces of technology I have ever owned:lol:

Between my Mac and my iPhone the iPad is a gadget, pure luxury, completely unnecessary...but, again, I LOVE IT! (and would run to the store to buy a new one if something happened to the one I own).

As far as the kids are concerned: my son's godfather wanted to get one for him for Christmas...not happening here!

Actually, I will do everything possible to prevent our children to call an iPad their own for as long as possible. In my opinion they are just the perfect time-wasters, risky in the hands of an adult, catastrophic in the hands of a (my) kid...

(written on my iPad;))

I think it is useless depending on what other technology you already own. For me, probably useless, although I use it for hours every day. I could give up my computer if I didn't have to have it to sync my iPad and my iPhone. :tongue_smilie:

For someone with no other computer or technology, I think it is an awesome tool. There is just so much you can do with it, and not all of it is fluff.

I'm curious to see what improvements will be made in 2nd gen, coming out in a few months. I fully expect that I will own the new one, and pass this one on to one of my teens (and I'm sure they will fight over which one!)

Just get one! :lol: Now. I love it.

There are some fun and educational apps. But mostly we use it for fun. Email, calendar, too.

But the access to books (so many free classics available) and audiobooks, the long battery life, and the built in ipod alone are reason enough to have one. I love reading on it!

Oh and if there are any words that you don't know, you can double touch the word and the dictionary and thesauruses pop up. How is that for handy?! I love anything that allows me to be lazy and still learn.:lol:

Angry Birds alone is a reason to get one. LOL! Angry Birds entertained our whole family for 3 weeks. :tongue_smilie:

So sure maybe it will be more educational in the future, but right now we love the entertainment value and how easy it is. YK I've got 15 classics loaded on that thing right now! We love reading and with the ipad your personal library is portable.