Menu

American Heritage Girls--Catholic?

My daughter is really excited about joining some sort of scouting group and I have heard several people on these boards mention American Heritage Girls, so I thought I would check it out on the net. There is nothing inparticular on their website that deliniates a particular denomination, however in trying to find an established troop in our area, I learned that there are only 2 in the whole state and they are both Catholic in nature. Is this girls club typically a Catholic group? Any recommendations on other girls clubs or, dare I say it, experiences in starting an American Heritage Girls club in your area? (how daunting!)

TIA!

Chris--that is so funny! I am actually up in Maryland and, according to the American Heritage Girls website, there are two groups here and they are both chartered by Catholic churches (one a Catholic home school umbrella associated with a church). I started to look at starting one, but boy oh boy, it seems to be quite the process!

Nope, they are not specifically Catholic at all.

I was a leader for a few years, and while our group *was* mainly Catholic, the reason you may see so many Catholic groups is because many conservative Catholics are quite uncomfortable with some aspects of Girl Scouts, so are turning to AHG. I know of one diocese that will not allow any Girl Scout sponsored troops in parishes anymore, but has welcomed the AHG program.

But there is nothing particularly Catholic about AHG at all. Any denomination should be able to use it.

My daughter & I just visited one tonight (at a Catholic church). We are not Catholic but went thinking it was non denominational as the website says. This one was Catholic. They did the Catholic prayers and discussed the saints, etc. It was a great group & we really enjoyed it, but we will not join this particular one as we are not Catholic.