Menu

Memoria Press Cirriculum Packages ( K and 1st)

Teaching_Three

Hello,

I have two students ( K and 1st). I am trying to decide between using memoria press or rod and staff. I would really enjoy hearing some reviews from moms who have used these programs. Memoria press is still fairly new and I'm having trouble getting feedback about the program. I know they use some rod and staff materials, would we be missing out if we went with rod and staff instead?

Having used R&S only sporadically, I cannot really comment on using a complete R&S program. From the little I do know, and the extensive amount that I have read, they are a complete and solid curriculum.

We are using MP K and love it. If you search this forum (at the upper right) and use the term Memoria Press, there is actually quite a lengthy thread about the K program. They do have a 60-day return policy, so you could try it and send it back. The school associated with his program is Highlands Latin school in KY, and MP also has their own forums. You may want to check into all of that. Their customer service is superb! Tanya on the MP forums will answer any questions you have, and their phone support is exemplary as well.

Just my two cents! :001_smile:

I am using the MP K program with my daughter this year. I think it is excellent. I am NOT using the math program that was suggested because I will not continue to use R&S math and I will not start a math curriculum until next year. I think the materials are excellent and just the right amount of school for a 5 year old. The teacher's manual allows much too much time for each activity. We can finish everything in about an hour. I am adding a few things for fun that are not suggested as well.

Jennifer

I am a Rod and STaff user here. Since R&S doesn't have a full K program, I have had to piece together K myself both times. (which worked out fine..)

For one child for K, she used the R&S 1st grade math for K and then continued to move up each year. I did unit studies of my own for the other subjects, and she started R&S 1st grade mid year, and finished up over 1st grade.

For my 2nd child, she used the R&S ABC preschool workbooks over preK and K, and then started R&S 1st grade mid year.

If Memoria Press would have been available for my last child, I may have used it. I looked at their plans at convention, and it would have been nice. I don't know anything about their phonics though. That is what I would investigate before recommending or buying. I love R&S phonics. It is so thorough.

For both of my girls I have used R&S 1st grade in its entirety and then added WTM science and SOTW on top. I love R&S 1st grade. The Bible as reading is so sweet and is really teaching my current 6 yr old how to read. She was not a natural reader. The worksheets and workbooks are challenging to her, but she is really learning.

For my older child, who knew how to read before K, we still went through R&S 1st grade phonics and reading. She learned a lot of Bible and other skills from it, and the phonics solidified her grasp on the rules that she had internalized, but not verbalized when she taught herself how to read. For her, the workbooks were quick work and easy, and we spent the rest of the day on the fun subjects.

So I cannot say enough good about it. We continue to move up in R&S in the core subjects: English and math and drop reading after 1st to do WTM reading narrations. We don't use their science or Social Studies, either. (I do buy the music worksheets and have the 2nd grade science and health that I pull from occasionally, but not as our whole curric) HTH.

I do want to add that my dd completed some pages several of the R&S preschool books before starting MP. We coupled those workbooks with Sonlight and we loved how they meshed together. We are now combining SL Core K and MP K, which is working out nicely as well. We used SL from 7th-10th grade with my ds, and then switched to Notgrass. We love SL and plan to continue combining these as long as it is working. Planning to try up Classical Conversations in the fall to see how the three work together.