Menu

S/O shaggy boy hair...

I have two boys... both with essentially buzz cuts. The oldest, poor thing, has hair just like his father. Incredibly thick, coarse, wire-like hair. If you let it grow... it just gets "puffy" like a helmet. He's the one who wants long hair. A hair cut every other week would probably be about right. My DH gets his hair cut every three weeks. It is looking really nice when he heads off to the barber, but if he waits a few extra days... UGH.

My younger son has beautiful hair. It lays nicely, it is not coarse...he could wear it in any style and look good. He wants to keep it so short he almost looks bald.

I think My oldest would like to "pull off" the shaggy look -- but he's a hopeless case. He looks more like Beaker (muppets) than Bieber. :sigh:

Anyone else have boys like mine?

All my kids have thick hair. Only one has ruler straight hair. The rest it is wavy.

Ds#1 prefers his buzz cut. When it gets long it drives him bonkers.

Ds#2 loves the shaggy look and it does look good on him. But I hate when he is shaking his head to get the hair out of his eyes all the time. We cut his hair with clippers about once every 4-6 months.

Ds#3 has shaggy hair... it is thick, fine, straight as it comes. We keep it longish as he has a very odd shapped head and looks psycho with it cut short.

Dd currently has a pixie cut that she puts in a mohawk-LOL She cut her beautiful waist length hair about a year ago... many people cried (including me... inside). The first time she got it cut it was just to her shoulders and angled. She donated her hair to "Locks of Love". Then about two months ago she got the pixie cut and it does look cute... but I loved her long hair.

I have two boys... both with essentially buzz cuts. The oldest, poor thing, has hair just like his father. Incredibly thick, coarse, wire-like hair. If you let it grow... it just gets "puffy" like a helmet. He's the one who wants long hair. A hair cut every other week would probably be about right. My DH gets his hair cut every three weeks. It is looking really nice when he heads off to the barber, but if he waits a few extra days... UGH.

My younger son has beautiful hair. It lays nicely, it is not coarse...he could wear it in any style and look good. He wants to keep it so short he almost looks bald.

I think My oldest would like to "pull off" the shaggy look -- but he's a hopeless case. He looks more like Beaker (muppets) than Bieber. :sigh:

Anyone else have boys like mine?

My oldest has hair sort of like yours--very bushy when it grows. He also is "blessed" with this wacky double cowlick/swirl thing on the back of his head that literally sticks up like a rooster's comb when it's not cut! But he is the one who really wants to grow his hair out longer. I've let him try, but the uneven bushy look drives me just as crazy as the "blowing your hair back off your face girly look" so eventually I tell him it's time for a trim! It's time for one now, LOL.

I have told him before, while looking at websites like awkward family photos and promtacular, that the people who look the funniest are the ones with really extreme "popular" hairdos of the time! So if he doesn't want his kids to look at his pictures and think he was a total fad-driven doofus, then he should stick with a classic style--and that usually doesn't mean 'hair all over your face", LOL. I don't think he would ever let it get too long, even without my opinion, though. His dad and grandpa are both Air Force Academy grads and career officers, and he is hoping to go to USAFA as well. So he is thinking long hair is not in his future--and I say, "Phew!"

Dh and ds both have that thick, coarse hair that grows like crazy. I have thick fine hair (baby fine, but there is so much of it!) that grows like crazy. The guys buzz to 1/4 - 1/2 inch (depending on the weather, 1/2 is their winter length :lol:) every month or so. If they go too long they start getting all wooly. I would let ds wear his in a different style if he were more responsible with it, but he is still in the phase of only washing it when I tell him it is stinky. And then under duress. :glare:

Your son's hair sounds like my oldest son. He also wants longer hair. At first he looked pretty shaggy. Right now his hair looks pretty good. He hasn't had a haircut since around July. His hair looks very much like this, just slightly shorter. I have to say this actually looks much better on him. I never liked the really short hair, or having to cut his hair every four weeks.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

My teen boys have short "traditional" cuts. I use the clippers but they are longer than crew cuts, if that makes sense. I despise the shaggy hair so I'm happy with their choice of hairstyle :D

My dd #1 (7 years) has hair that goes down past her butt cheeks, not quite mid-thigh. It's super thick and awesome; hair I wish I had! Her hair would be a nightmare in a Pixie because it is very...insistent... in it's growth pattern. It would go straight forward into her face and look like a helmet with a visor. It is gorgeous long but didn't really become manageable until it was about should blade length because it needs the weight to weigh it down.

DD #2 (4 years) has hair about mid-back in length. It isn't as thick as her sisters so it doesn't need as much weight to weigh it down but does need some. Neither of my girls' hair is good for short hair. It's too...stubborn, LOL.

DD #3 (almost 3) has a cute little boy cut. His hair is pretty thin and if I do a short cut like his older brothers you can see his scalp. His oldest sister was born with 10 times more hair than he currently has. Hopefully it will thicken up some.

Yep. My oldest ds looks like a CHIA PET if we let it go longer than 2 weeks without a cut. He will never get to have the surfer boy haircut which, to be honest, is just fine with me. I like a clean cut boy. :D

Yep. I actually have pictures of dh from childhood, and his hair is hysterical. Bright red and straight out from his head in all directions for a few inches. :001_huh: That's exactly what ds's hair would look like, only blonder. Ugh. I keep it pretty short (I use a 3 and a 4 on the clippers,) because otherwise it stands up in the back and starts to look like "homeschool kid hair." :D The girls tease him that he sleeps on the top of his head, because it stands up so badly. I hope he isn't disappointed later in life if he wants to wear it longer.

My oldest has hair sort of like yours--very bushy when it grows. He also is "blessed" with this wacky double cowlick/swirl thing on the back of his head that literally sticks up like a rooster's comb when it's not cut!

You just described my son's hair... while he was being born, the midwife and my dh commented on the very long hair...like a pony-tail SHE had. Perfect for bows. After he was fully born, we realized that cowlick/swirl on the top back of his head was the *only* long hair he had. The rest was short. We then commented that our little boy was born with a "comb-over." :lol:

My younger ds has thick hair and likes it long. For years we cut it short so it went through a growing out phase. Yes, he had the puffball. But as his hair got longer it started to lay down more just because it is so thick and heavy. If your ds really wants his hair longer he may just have to endure the puffball phase. I think it lasted a couple of months. Can't remember for sure, though.

My Eldest has difficult hair. It's very thick, straight and just doesn't do anything He also has a very round head that is accentuated by the shorter buzzed cuts. Think porcupine. He can't seem to win.

However, over the last year or two he's wanted to try the longer style. Ok, by me, just maintain it.

It's actually working for him. I guess once his hair got to a certain length, past that goofy point, it was ok. Perhaps coupled with a change in hair, hormones, due to age? I don't know. But it's ok now...aside from the head tossing. ;) He trims it himself. If he botches that I guess he'll ask for help. :p

Like others have said, as long as he's tending to it, I'm ok with letting him try a style, even if I don't think it will work for him or isn't my preference. It's his hair, he'll figure out what works and what doesn't.

I have one long hair boy and one short hair boy. The short hair boy has short hair now because he HATES to have his hair brushed or combed or washed (sensory issues all over the place). When his hair is short it sticks out all over but when it was long it was fine. In between, it did look a little bit like a dandylion puff! Right now he is wearing it in a long buzz but with his double cow-lick he has a natural mohawk. I let him gell the heck out of it and he gets tons of complements.

Yep. My oldest is like yours. He's got the bad 'fro thing going on if he doesn't get it cut every few weeks. My younger son would like to wear it shaggy - his is less curly. It is longer than I like, but he finally figured out on his own that if he goes any longer than what he has, his hair looks awful and he spends way too much time being frustrated with it. He looks positively gorgeous with shorter hair ... he did cut it short once and he got quite a bit of female attention as a result. Perhaps that attention is why he has been wearing it longer lately.

This is an area where I feel like I walk a tightrope. I want to advise my boys on being presentable. However, dh (a very clean cut man) keeps telling me it's only hair. This is a time where they can experiment with their individuality. We have a policy in our house - no permanent alterations to one's body (tats, piercing) as long as they are relying on us for support. If they want to dye their hair blue, it is not permanent and I will just have to live with it. I can playfully express my dislike and they can playfully tell me that they do it just to bug me. Dh is wonderful at helping me reign in my control-freak nature.